Scotland vs Kazakhstan match thread - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs Kazakhstan match thread

ceudmilefailte

2 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

A wins a win, but let's not get carried away. We've beaten three shite teams (Kazakhstan are fucking terrible). Any half decent team would have ripped us a new one in that first half. I would get the fear imagining us in a euros

In the play off semi final we won't be playing a decent team

So that leaves one final game I would be happy for us to fluke

9 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

A wins a win, but let's not get carried away. We've beaten three shite teams (Kazakhstan are fucking terrible). Any half decent team would have ripped us a new one in that first half. I would get the fear imagining us in a euros

Me too... Big Declan had another good game, but I'd fear for him in a match against a team that weren't rotten

A very solid second half performance.

Very happy with that after a decent but no bite first half.  Really could have been more if we had more of a threat/attacking prowess.

Marshall - solid enough. He has saved us a few times throughout this campaign mostly from Belgium or Russia scoring more and our is Clarke's number 1.

Palmer - his best match. Clever on the ball and did his basics - defending - well too. Dangerous on the break. Turns up and certainly a decent option to have as a squad or starter.

McKenna - had some good moments, but he looks so rushed/nervy at times. Absolutely leathering it out or to the opposition. Yes, clear your lines ; but wish he would have a wee look more and see often those times he punts it, he has more time. Did well though at tackling and defending. A work in progress.

Gallagher - really impressed me throughout the two games. I'd even be tempted to start him in March. A solid, no-nonsense defender ; a goal threat at corners and a bit of skill on him. Night and day the difference between his distribution and McKenna's. Found his man very regularly, and often not just Palmer or Taylor ; finding McGinn, Jack, McGregor at times with his passing. A very impressive return of games.

Taylor - another solid game. for someone who's hardly played in 6 weeks. Fast, skillful and a hard worker. Really hope he can push in to the Celtic team and get some game time.

Jack - outstanding. What a vital and important player he could well be for us. Wins the tackle ; finds his man ; holds on to the ball ; and calms everything down as well. An excellent few games and well deserved call up and start.

McGregor - excellent performance. I love that wee dummy then run he does, gliding through their midfield in to space. His delivery was good as well and after a couple of average games for Scotland ; he certainly was back to top form.

Forrest - did well in beating his men, but final pass/ball/shot was lacking. He did OK, but just feel we should be getting more from him in the final third.

Christie - a quiet game from his standard. I thought he was excellent on Saturday, more reserved today and seemed frustrated with himself. I'll take it though. A superb performance followed up by a decent if not superb one in the next game.

Naismith - works hard, and certainly could have scored a couple more. Fortunate for the goal and still not keen on the niggling/mouthing he does at times - but it's part of his game. Did well enough in both games, but we really need some firepower coming through soon.

After a disastrous start to the campaign and a very tough slog of summer games ; we've done what had to be done - we've won 3 games on the bounce albeit San Marino, Cyprus and Kazakhstan ; but we needed that! Clarke now has a 50% win rate. Just a shame these playoffs are not in December, but roll on Friday and see who we get.

Getting to the Euros will be a tough task. We'll be playing better sides than the three we've just beaten, but we do have a home and rocking, sold-out Hampden to look forward too. We may have some luck of the green with the draw and a potential home final, we'll soon find out.

Let's give it a good fécking go!

Edited by weekevie04

Not completely convincing but played very well in patches.  One or two adjustments and I think we have a team that can compete for that Euro finals place.

Robertson/Tierney for Taylor

McTominay for McGregor

Mulgrew for Jack.

Special mentions for Palmer and Gallacher who have done fairly well in these two games.

6 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

A very solid second half performance.

Very happy with that after a decent but no bite first half.  Really could have been more if we had more of a threat/attacking prowess.

Marshall - solid enough. He has saved us a few times throughout this campaign mostly from Belgium or Russia scoring more and our is Clarke's number 1.

Palmer - his best match. Clever on the ball and did his basics - defending - well too. Dangerous on the break. Turns up and certainly a decent option to have as a squad or starter.

McKenna - had some good moments, but he looks so rushed/nervy at times. Absolutely leathering it out or to the opposition. Yes, clear your lines ; but wish he would have a wee look more and see often those times he punts it, he has more time. Did well though at tackling and defending. A work in progress.

Gallagher - really impressed me throughout the two games. I'd even be tempted to start him in March. A solid, no-nonsense defender ; a goal threat at corners and a bit of skill on him. Night and day the difference between his distribution and McKenna's. Found his man very regularly, and often not just Palmer or Taylor ; finding McGinn, Jack, McGregor at times with his passing. A very impressive return of games.

Taylor - another solid game. for someone who's hardly played in 6 weeks. Fast, skillful and a hard worker. Really hope he can push in to the Celtic team and get some game time.

Jack - outstanding. What a vital and important player he could well be for us. Wins the tackle ; finds his man ; holds on to the ball ; and calms everything down as well. An excellent few games and well deserved call up and start.

McGregor - excellent performance. I love that wee dummy then run he does, gliding through their midfield in to space. His delivery was good as well and after a couple of average games for Scotland ; he certainly was back to top form.

Forrest - did well in beating his men, but final pass/ball/shot was lacking. He did OK, but just feel we should be getting more from him in the final third.

Christie - a quiet game from his standard. I thought he was excellent on Saturday, more reserved today and seemed frustrated with himself. I'll take it though. A superb performance followed up by a decent if not superb one in the next game.

Naismith - works hard, and certainly could have scored a couple more. Fortunate for the goal and still not keen on the niggling/mouthing he does at times - but it's part of his game. Did well enough in both games, but we really need some firepower coming through soon.

After a disastrous start to the campaign and a very tough slog of summer games ; we've done what had to be done - we've won 3 games on the bounce albeit San Marino, Cyprus and Kazakhstan ; but we needed that! Clarke now has a 50% win rate. Just a shame these playoffs are not in December, but roll on Friday and see who we get.

Getting to the Euros will be a tough task. We'll be playing better sides than the three we've just beaten, but we do have a home and rocking, sold-out Hampden to look forward too. We may have some luck of the green with the draw and a potential home final, we'll soon find out.

Let's give it a good fécking go!

Haha I guess you left one out because nothing needs to be said about him? 

Ending with three wins against three teams as bad as that means almost nothing.

Can’t see any improvement or many positives to take from Clarke’s reign as yet.

Kazakhstan are terrible, Cyprus are terrible & San Marino are the official worst team in the world. 

Any half decent team will horse us in the play offs. 

20 minutes ago, henry george said:

Not completely convincing but played very well in patches.  One or two adjustments and I think we have a team that can compete for that Euro finals place.

McTominay for McGregor

Mulgrew for Jack.

Special mentions for Palmer and Gallacher who have done fairly well in these two games.

Mulgrew is finished at this level. 

What a contrast those two halves of football were. The first was Scotland at their worst. An absolutely nothing performance from players who played like they just had to show up to beat Kazakhstan. The goal was entirely preventable if McKenna goes and engages the Kazakh player at the edge of the box. Same goal we lost to Israel at home last year.

Second half was superb. Jack, McGregor and McGinn came alive with ample support from Palmer and Taylor who were so bright. Taylor is desperately unlucky that we are strong at left back as he has shown plenty in the last two games to stake a claim to start there. Palmer has nailed right back for me.

Some well worked passing and direct running which was Scotland at its best. I had my criticism for John McGinn before September but he has become a different player since playing behind the striker. So effective in arriving late.

Ultimately more positives than negatives from tonight but the centre of defence is clearly still an issue moving into March.

Having another look at their goal, I'm not sure McKenna did too much wrong or at least nothing you could be too critical of in a 1-1.  He stands up, doesn't commit himself, is goal side and is looking to push him outside.  I doubt he's expecting the shot from that distance, especially one with so much whip on it.  As good a goal as you'll see so you have to give he guy some credit for that  

If I were Clarke I'd be more annoyed at Palmer losing the ball in the first place and which ever one of Jack or McGregor it was who should've been sitting to protect the defence. The time and space that their midfielder has to take the ball turn and lay it off is ridiculous. 

Its a bit like the goal on Saturday, a great strike but they should never be in that position to take the shot in the first place. 

1 minute ago, aaid said:

Having another look at their goal, I'm not sure McKenna did too much wrong or at least nothing you could be too critical of in a 1-1.  He stands up, doesn't commit himself, is goal side and is looking to push him outside.  I doubt he's expecting the shot from that distance, especially one with so much whip on it.  As good a goal as you'll see so you have to give he guy some credit for that  

If I were Clarke I'd be more annoyed at Palmer losing the ball in the first place and which ever one of Jack or McGregor it was who should've been sitting to protect the defence. The time and space that their midfielder has to take the ball turn and lay it off is ridiculous. 

Its a bit like the goal on Saturday, a great strike but they should never be in that position to take the shot in the first place. 

Yeah, but he’s shite etc etc etc. If it was ronaldo or messi that scored that goal, it would’ve been a wonder strike that had the defender bamboozled, but it was only some guy from Kazakhstan, so he’s not capable of that, it’s all the defenders fault for standing up to him 🙄 

1 hour ago, henry george said:

McTominay for McGregor

Mulgrew for Jack.

Mulgrew for Jack? Are you serious? It's not even like for like.

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

This, this and this.

Was an excellent performance against admittedly a poor team. We have looked better now in the last three games and hopefully some confidence has been gained. Mcginn is an excellent player who gives his all for the cause. Christie as well. Our centre backs did ok apart from the goal but obviously they weren't really tested much by Kazakhstan. We played some nice football at times. Naismith looks like he can do a job upfront for us while we wait for Griffith's to return. 

3 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

To think Wales are going to automatically qualify, with a bloke starting for them tonight who is in loan at Lincoln City, from Bristol City

This . I think Clarke given more time will get it right.  The players are still learning his methods and we saw second half an improvement 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

The only reason this is getting looked at is because it resulted in a goal. 9 times out of 10 there isn't a wonder strike at the end of it.

If you want to start saying the guy who lost the ball at the halfway line is to blame perhaps you should check how often other players lose the ball.

With a goal like that you should really compare it with every other chance we give away that could have resulted in the same outcome had there been some brilliance at the end of it.