Revenge - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Revenge

mrniaboc

Just read an article on BBC about how tonight's match is "not about revenge". For me it is.

I was so damn excited about this qualifying campaign. We had a free hit at qualifying knowing we had a playoff spot because we had won our National League group, and we finished our last qualifying campaign strong. Our opening three matches were looking like a solid 9 points from 9 and we'd be atop our group going into the Belgium away match. Then it happened. 10 minutes into the qualifying campaign it was over. We were done. A laughing stock one more time. A country with a fragile sporting mentality given a knock-out blow. The fears of most Scotland fans confirmed; "maybe we're just really really bad and we'll never qualify for anything ever again." These doubts flood in and take hold when you're at such a low ebb. It's so so hard for players and fans alike to shake them. This results in players calling off, and fans not turning up, in record numbers.

I spend a lot of time thinking about sports psychology. This IS about revenge. It's not just a "dead rubber". it's not great preparation for the playoffs (they are ages away). This is about reminding the world and ourselves that we are not a joke. We are Scotland, and that still means something in football. It's time to regain some much needed self-confidence.

Come on Scotland! 4-0 at least. Revenge.

Cue a Kazakhstan win HAHAHA.

Just now, mrniaboc said:

Just read an article on BBC about how tonight's match is "not about revenge". For me it is.

I was so damn excited about this qualifying campaign. We had a free hit at qualifying knowing we had a playoff spot because we had won our National League group, and we finished our last qualifying campaign strong. Our opening three matches were looking like a solid 9 points from 9 and we'd be atop our group going into the Belgium away match. Then it happened. 10 minutes into the qualifying campaign it was over. We were done. A laughing stock one more time. A country with a fragile sporting mentality given a knock-out blow. The fears of most Scotland fans confirmed; "maybe we're just really really bad and we'll never qualify for anything ever again." These doubts flood in and take hold when you're at such a low ebb. It's so so hard for players and fans alike to shake them. This results in players calling off, and fans not turning up, in record numbers.

I spend a lot of time thinking about sports psychology. This IS about revenge. It's not just a "dead rubber". it's not great preparation for the playoffs (they are ages away). This is about reminding the world and ourselves that we are not a joke. We are Scotland, and that still means something in football. It's time to regain some much needed self-confidence.

Come on Scotland! 4-0 at least. Revenge.

Cue a Kazakhstan win HAHAHA.

The only revenge we should be seeking is against the players that pulled out of the first squad, the players on the pitch that day and Alex McLeish. They are the ones to blame, not Kazakhstan. 

A 3-0 victory would be good though. 

1 minute ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

No. It's not about revenge.

And if people talk about players dropping out from the squad before the first match, here was the first XI:

Bain, Palmer, Bates, McKenna, Shinnie, Armstrong, McGregor, McGinn, Forrest, McBurnie, Burke.

Theoretically, ten of that team could start tonight.

Well, it is for me. Come on lads! 

Its not about revenge but it might be about exercising psychological pressure, regardless that it was a different squad that day.  If memory is correct, we usually play well in the end of these Campaigns-  usually when there is nothing to play for.  

A decent performance AND win would do wonders today, that keep us in the top 30 in UEFA and at least not add to the pressure, truth be told in a play off, the mentality is ALL about the moment you have two games to be at the biggest national stage in Europe, in 4 months time we will have at least 4 names back that we don't have so it a different squad altogether, I think the pressure of a decent win and performance today would keep pressure off the team and Clarke coming from the press and fans more than directly on the players, I can't see James Forrest losing sleep the day before the play off thinking 'But we just narrowly beat Kazakhstan in November". 

Edited by romanticscot

In the first match Kazakhstan were brilliant. It was 3 going on 7.

No way do I grudge them that win. I was actually chuffed for them. Especially so since they owned us playing a system that I favour.

They weren't. They took full advantage of our hapless incompetence that night, for sure.

All players were culpable but Graeme Shinnie was particularly abject, playing in a position that he hadn't played for his club in about four years. McLeish cardinally at fault for that astute selection.

9 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

They weren't. They took full advantage of our hapless incompetence that night, for sure.

All players were culpable but Graeme Shinnie was particularly abject, playing in a position that he hadn't played for his club in about four years. McLeish cardinally at fault for that astute selection.

As i remember McLeish also insisted we stay on uk time for some bizarre reason.

When the entire team is awful, I'm inclined to give the players a pass.
When that happens it's down to the manager. He's not got them in condition to play physically, nor mentally.

7 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Look at it objectively:

Kazakhstan are only two points below us after 9 matches. Goal difference they are superior by three. They could leap above us with a win tonight.

Personally, I wouldn't feel that disappointed if we finished 4th, above San Marino and Cyprus.

7 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Look at it objectively:

Kazakhstan are only two points below us after 9 matches. Goal difference they are superior by three. They could leap above us with a win tonight.

Personally, I wouldn't feel that disappointed if we finished 4th, above San Marino and Cyprus.

Look at it objectively.

We are two points ahead and playing a home fixture against them. 

What is your basis for so fervently wishing Scotland to fail from that position?

Edited by Barney Rubble

Just now, The_Dark_Knight said:

You can be a Scotland fan and be classy. They're not mutually exclusive.

We've only beaten two teams, twice, in this group: San Marino and Cyprus. It stands to reason that we finish above them.

I would stand to reason if that's the way football worked.
But it's not. 3 for a win, 1 for a draw.. You are where you are at the end on merit.

Chuffed that we lost.. good grief.

Just now, Barney Rubble said:

Look at it objectively.

We are two points ahead and playing a home fixture against them. 

What is your basis for Scotland wanting to fail from that position?

If we lose to Kazakhstan, that'll mean they've beaten us twice.

Who said anything about "wanting to fail from that position"?

At the end of the day, wherever we end up in the group, it's what we deserve.

If we lose to Kazakhstan, that'll mean they've beaten us twice.

Who said anything about "wanting to fail from that position"?

At the end of the day, wherever we end up in the group, it's what we deserve.

99.99 per cent of the members of this message board are rooting for a Scotland win tonight.

So following mature statistical analysis of the consensus of opinion, your hypotheses on this subject aren't worthy of any serious analysis.

On 11/19/2019 at 5:31 PM, The_Dark_Knight said:

In the first match Kazakhstan were brilliant. It was 3 going on 7.

No way do I grudge them that win. I was actually chuffed for them. Especially so since they owned us playing a system that I favour.

I honestly thought you'd peaked with, "Brendan Rodgers is one of the best managers in the world..." but f*ck me.

I've never, ever felt happy for any team we've lost to. Never have, never will. I'm a Scotland fan you see.