Russia Banned from Euro 2020 (possibly) - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Russia Banned from Euro 2020 (possibly)

JandC

17 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Hope not, we need the playoffs to prepare for the finals

We could easily arrange a couple of friendlies in March against Cumbernauld United and Dukla Pumpherston to boost our confidence.

They’d probably beat us right enough. 

On 11/20/2019 at 8:00 AM, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I'm not surprised the Russia team was poor for years barely won a game in the lead up to the world cup, then they magically became world beaters who could run faster and longer than everyone else, nothing suspicious about that at all.

Really? They may have not won much but look who they played before the World Cup. Spain 3-3, Belgium 3-3, Argentina 0-1, France 1-3,  Brazil 0-3, 1-1 Turkey, 0-1 Austria.  They barely miss tournaments... majority of the team play in the 6th best league in Europe + CSKA which is a core of the team made the Quarters of the Europa League that season. I actually tipped them to make ROund of 16 easily before the tournament. Not world beaters but to act like they caused some massive shock thumping Saudi and Egypt and taking Spain and Croatia to Pens was no real surprise for me. Especially at home. 

9 hours ago, infamous said:

Really? They may have not won much but look who they played before the World Cup. Spain 3-3, Belgium 3-3, Argentina 0-1, France 1-3,  Brazil 0-3, 1-1 Turkey, 0-1 Austria.  They barely miss tournaments... majority of the team play in the 6th best league in Europe + CSKA which is a core of the team made the Quarters of the Europa League that season. I actually tipped them to make ROund of 16 easily before the tournament. Not world beaters but to act like they caused some massive shock thumping Saudi and Egypt and taking Spain and Croatia to Pens was no real surprise for me. Especially at home. 

Just another "Russia bad" story.

23 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

We could easily arrange a couple of friendlies in March against Cumbernauld United and Dukla Pumpherston to boost our confidence.

They’d probably beat us right enough. 

The fuck did Cumbie Utd ever do to you? 

Doing alright this season thus far anawl, thank-you very much... 

21 hours ago, AndyDD said:

The fuck did Cumbie Utd ever do to you? 

Doing alright this season thus far anawl, thank-you very much... 

They were the first shite team that came to mind. 😂

I have been to Guy's Meadow many a time so I know what I'm talking about.

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

They were the first shite team that came to mind. 😂

I have been to Guy's Meadow many a time so I know what I'm talking about.

Hahaha fair play, you're not wrong. A warm up down there would at least be walking distance from my house! Probably still be denied a bevvy though. 

The amount of folk cutting about the Cypriot stadium drinking Becks Blue was mind-boggling. 

On 11/19/2019 at 11:35 PM, romanticscot said:

This could be a blooming mess for UEFA if Russia get booted.  Sure it might be auto qualification for us, but then who takes our spot in the ploy off as League C winners - Norway, thankfully that game is home advantage already but then they would a random team's instead of us - but come December, Serbia fans have already bought travel, who reimburses that?  Travel insurance MAYBE or your out of pocket, then it likely doesn't just have an impact on League C, but definitely B and maybe even up to A. 

UEFA would bottle this and really who can blame them, the only thing that can stop this is issue an advisory before Friday and advise fans that fixtures would be reviewed in late December pending a review from WADA, then you might have law suits from Russia saying where is our day in court, they are presumed guilty.

I cant see UEFA making any ruling against Russia for EURO 2020 but rather the World Cup campaign if this touched football at all.

It explicitly does involve football as that is the seriousness of the ban being considered. Uefa partner with WADA and have to comply. 

However just as before Russia will appeal to the CAS and they will re-instate them it’s all very predictable.   

7 minutes ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

It explicitly does involve football as that is the seriousness of the ban being considered. Uefa partner with WADA and have to comply. 

However just as before Russia will appeal to the CAS and they will re-instate them it’s all very predictable.   

It would be just like us to get promoted to the finals then get relegated to the playoffs again when Russia won their appeal.  

3 hours ago, romanticscot said:

UEFA should postpone their.draw.until.after this WADA hearing. 

Almost pointless as Russia will appeal to CAS anyway and they'll still be in the same mess until early next year.

Decision on 9th December, Russia would have to appeal to CAS before 30th December and CAS have to make their decision within 3 months. That could be March (playoff time) before they come to a decision.  They might give an interim decision in January but that's not going to help much given how tangled Russia are in the mess of Euro 2020.

8 hours ago, JandC said:

New article on the BBC football site about this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/50551384

Seems like even if Russia get banned, aslong as their players have been complianent they would still be able to complete as neutral athletes. Like at the Olympics where the Russian athletes had plain gear, no national anthem or flag and would complete as ANA.

Although with football it is a little different from athletics, so who knows what would happen or how that would work. I very much doubt they'll get the boot from competing in the Euros. They are more likely to lose hosting privileges.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

• 2 weeks later...

Only one day to go until WADA makes their recommendations. Quotes in today's world press if anything to by suggest a EURO 2020 ban both hosting and participation. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/11/26/sport/wada-four-year-ban-russia-rusada-doping-spt-intl/index.html

Edited by romanticscot

8 minutes ago, csinclair said:

From the BBC
"Despite the ban, Russia will be able to compete at Euro 2020 - in which St Petersburg will be a host city - as European football's governing body Uefa is not defined as a 'major event organisation' with regards to rulings on anti-doping breaches."

Their 'major event' list must be pretty fucking short if Euro 2020 isn't on it.