Russia Banned from Euro 2020 (possibly) - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Russia Banned from Euro 2020 (possibly)

JandC

I see there are more stories in the media about possible sanctions against Russia and the punishment could be a blanket ban from all major sporting events including Euro 2020, due to ‘inconsistencies in anti-doping data’.

Maybe we won’t need a play-off after all!!

3 minutes ago, JandC said:

I see there are more stories in the media about possible sanctions against Russia and the punishment could be a blanket ban from all major sporting events including Euro 2020, due to ‘inconsistencies in anti-doping data’.

Maybe we won’t need a play-off after all!!

Can't really see UEFA going for that. Think of all the money they will lose! 

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Doubt it will happen but even if it did I doubt they’d just promote us to the finals if we finish third.  

We’re not that lucky. 

What else would they do? Seen as Russia’s hosting rights would be revoked-it would be the simplest solution to shoehorn in another host.

In any case it looks likely there will be tough sanctions this time.

4 hours ago, infamous said:

No chance Russia will be kicked out. None of their players ever test positive in UEFA FIFA competitions. 

The CAF who has final say re-instated 5-6 Gold Medals that Russia was originally found to cheat in. Feel the same will happen here. 

I agree with you however the specific problem russia have avoiding a ban here is that legally it’s a slam-dunk case. They have been caught red-handed doctoring athletes blood test records.

I cannot see any way out of this for them,even with a CAS appeal. Doctoring test results is as serious as it gets. If the CAS lets them off with this on appeal-it sets a very dangerous precedent and everyone might as well start doping.

This will be politically motivated IMHO. Just another front in the all things Russia bad campaign that has been running now for years. I dare say Russia has its fair share of dopers as does every other country.

Compare and contrast with the UK media's relative indifference to...

"Alberto Salazar, the legendary American distance coach who guided Mo Farah to six world titles and four Olympic gold medals, has been sent home from the world championships in Doha following his four-year ban for doping violations."

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

This will be politically motivated IMHO. Just another front in the all things Russia bad campaign that has been running now for years. I dare say Russia has its fair share of dopers as does every other country.

"Alberto Salazar, the legendary American distance coach who guided Mo Farah to six world titles and four Olympic gold medals, has been sent home from the world championships in Doha following his four-year ban for doping violations."

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

Are you seriously suggesting that if team GB were caught red handed doctoring athletes blood test results data then the resultant sanctions from WADA would be politically motivated? Absolute nonsense- WADA are just doing what they are supposed to do.

It’s got fuck  to do with politics and more to do with Russia consistently being caught cheating over a number of years. 

11 hours ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

What else would they do? Seen as Russia’s hosting rights would be revoked-it would be the simplest solution to shoehorn in another host.

In any case it looks likely there will be tough sanctions this time.

I don't know but I guarantee you if one of the big countries had failed to qualify UEFA would've made sure they were given Russia's spot at the finals one way or another.

Luckily all of the countries that UEFA want at the finals have already qualified so you are probably correct. Not that I think Russia will be kicked out anyway.

If Russia are kicked out, I suspect they will arrange the replacement games at Wembley. Seems to be their go-to place at the moment - I do wonder why.

I remember when Russia and Qatar got the World Cup over england and Boris Johnson immediately withdrew his bribe of top quality accommodation at the olympics for the various voting delegates who would have been coming over for the Olympic football in 2012.

It was funny to see one of the royals get custard pied in public when that result was announced. Think it was the Junior Overlord of Wales. 

Anyway, I digress. Let’s get intae these Kazakhs! Revenge indeed!

11 hours ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

I agree with you however the specific problem russia have avoiding a ban here is that legally it’s a slam-dunk case. They have been caught red-handed doctoring athletes blood test records.

I cannot see any way out of this for them,even with a CAS appeal. Doctoring test results is as serious as it gets. If the CAS lets them off with this on appeal-it sets a very dangerous precedent and everyone might as well start doping.

Yep agree but tbh everyone is doping. Russians have always been tested 3 to 4 times more than any athlete. I think when the entire doping scandal started the Russians were caught doping as much as the Australians per test. Think that was partly why CAS has thrown out a lot of the allegations

Think worst case scenario russia wont be banned in football. They could cop it like they did at Rio though.

That would be great if its resolved before the play offs either way.  I cant see them being banned from hosting games, think of the impact to the fans but taking part - even that is a long shot to me.  Wada meet on Dec 9th then who knows what happens from there.  

Edited by romanticscot

7 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

That would be great if its resolved before the play offs either way.  I cant see them being banned from hosting games, think of the impact to the fans but taking part - even that is a long shot to me.  Wada meet on Dec 9th then who knows what happens from there.  

If they are thrown out they will lose hosting rights as well I believe. Can’t see either happening to be honest though.

Athletics etc. and football are very different in terms of drug testing so I can see Russia being excluded from the Olympics again but not major football tournaments. 

This could be a blooming mess for UEFA if Russia get booted.  Sure it might be auto qualification for us, but then who takes our spot in the ploy off as League C winners - Norway, thankfully that game is home advantage already but then they would a random team's instead of us - but come December, Serbia fans have already bought travel, who reimburses that?  Travel insurance MAYBE or your out of pocket, then it likely doesn't just have an impact on League C, but definitely B and maybe even up to A. 

UEFA would bottle this and really who can blame them, the only thing that can stop this is issue an advisory before Friday and advise fans that fixtures would be reviewed in late December pending a review from WADA, then you might have law suits from Russia saying where is our day in court, they are presumed guilty.

I cant see UEFA making any ruling against Russia for EURO 2020 but rather the World Cup campaign if this touched football at all.