Euro 2020 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2020

Brian Hanley

IF we qualify...

I'm sure i read somewhere on here that Scotland v England (Group D) would be played at Wembley?

How's that? I just read on the UEFA website that if both host teams in a group qualify then there is a draw to see who plays at home when the play each other.

I know i'm getting WAY ahead of myself...just asking

17 minutes ago, adamntg said:

England qualified through their group, whereas we would be coming in through the back door.  They decided a while ago this meant they could give the bigger country home advantage and make it seem like it was justified on a sporting basis.

But u don't agree? 😅

14 minutes ago, Brian Hanley said:

Cheers, i was asking as i've managed to get some tickets for the finals.  IF WE QUALIFY, it would be unfortunate if the one group game i've got at Hampden coincided with Scotland v England at Wembley

Same boat here, I've got a ticket for the third match at Hampden.

I hope for all our sakes we make it, but knowing some of you have tickets I really want the team to be there, I can't imagine sitting in Hampden at a European championship watching Greece v Finland being a pleasant experience. If we are there, please share photos and vids. 

1 minute ago, romanticscot said:

I hope for all our sakes we make it, but knowing some of you have tickets I really want the team to be there, I can't imagine sitting in Hampden at a European championship watching Greece v Finland being a pleasant experience. If we are there, please share photos and vids. 

At €50, €125 and €150 a ticket I don't imagine many Scots would be!

29 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Greece are one of the few teams with slightly less of a chance of qualifying than Scotland. 

(They are already out.)

I understand, still neat to be at one of the premier events in Football,  and I cant imagine in the moment someone sitting there sulking because they are not watching Scotland at the tournament but it would be infinitely more enjoyable if we are. 

19 minutes ago, Brian Hanley said:

One of the best games i ever seen at Hampden was the Seville v Espanyol UEFA Cup Final.  I may enjoy the football more if we're not there but it would be kind of painful, especially if all the other home countries get there

I don’t think that all of the other home countries will be there, fair chance that it will just be England. Maybe a 60% chance of one of Wales or Northern Ireland joining them, but probably only a 10% chance of both of them making it - mainly because there’s such a high chance of them landing in the same play-off path.

26 minutes ago, Brian Hanley said:

One of the best games i ever seen at Hampden was the Seville v Espanyol UEFA Cup Final.  I may enjoy the football more if we're not there but it would be kind of painful, especially if all the other home countries get there

I'd be fucking nowhere near Hampden if we weren't playing.

In fact, I'd be nowhere near Glasgow and I stay there!

3 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

I don’t think that all of the other home countries will be there, fair chance that it will just be England. Maybe a 60% chance of one of Wales or Northern Ireland joining them, but probably only a 10% chance of both of them making it - mainly because there’s such a high chance of them landing in the same play-off path.

He might be counting ROI as a "home country". Not sure why, but some folk do. I think they have a very good chance of qualifying.

6 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

I think Wales will get there automatically, they should be able to beat Hungary at home tomorrow night.

Not 100% sure how it works for NI, but from what I can see if Wales were to go through and as one of Denmark and ROI are going to go through this should see them in Group B playing a lower ranked team and then possibly Bosnia in the final.

That's a decent shot for them.

1 hour ago, Lion Rampant said:

I think Wales will get there automatically, they should be able to beat Hungary at home tomorrow night.

Not 100% sure how it works for NI, but from what I can see if Wales were to go through and as one of Denmark and ROI are going to go through this should see them in Group B playing a lower ranked team and then possibly Bosnia in the final.

If NI stay in the League B playoffs, and Denmark need a play off, Ni will play either Denmark or Bosnia away in the semi final.

2 hours ago, Lion Rampant said:

And fuckin ridiculous too, at least we earned our play off spot!  Bottom of their nations league group, 0 points and scored 2 goals yet fate will conspire to get them to the euros whilst we watch from home 😡