Liam Palmer - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Liam Palmer

mrniaboc

2nd game with Christie ahead of him and i thought they linked up well and Palmer looked more confident knowing what to expect from the players around him. Well done, Liam.

Was that the first time that Clarke's picked the same team as any of his previous games?

Anyway, I think we look more balanced without Robertson in the team as everything seems to need to go through him when he's playing and that's not how he plays for Liverpool.

He'll obviously start in the play offs and rightfully so but there is no need for him to drift inside as much as he usually does for us and concentrate on getting up and down the wings.

Palmer will start and I think we'll play KT at CH.

Thought Palmer looked great going forward. A great feature of our play last night was how the midfield found the full backs with neat through balls ( 2nd and 3rd goals ) and hopefully that can continue. Yup, for me Palmer for RB come March unless of injury or somebody unexpected comes through.

8 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

A great feature of our play last night was how the midfield found the full backs with neat through balls ( 2nd and 3rd goals ) and hopefully that can continue.

Yep, will give Clarke some credit for that. Something that was absent from our play against San Marino was any kind of coherent plan of attack. So it was nice to see that in this match, against an opposition who we thought was also likely to be on the back foot a lot, we had a plan, executed it and benefited from it.

Easily Palmer’s best game in a Scotland shirt but we do need to remember the level of opposition. He also lost possession which led to Kazakhstan’s goal (although McKenna was the main culprit). 

Hopefully he’ll keep improving and will become a solid player for us as the RB position has been a problem for years now. 

8 hours ago, andyD said:

Yep, will give Clarke some credit for that. Something that was absent from our play against San Marino was any kind of coherent plan of attack. So it was nice to see that in this match, against an opposition who we thought was also likely to be on the back foot a lot, we had a plan, executed it and benefited from it.

We had a coherent plan of attack, it's just that the ball kept sticking in the swamp instead of going to the attacker's feet. Total farce the conditions that night and unfair to berate the players for it.

8 hours ago, daviebee said:

We had a coherent plan of attack, it's just that the ball kept sticking in the swamp instead of going to the attacker's feet. Total farce the conditions that night and unfair to berate the players for it.

It was a tropical monsoon ..... in Glasgow !

20 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Anyway, I think we look more balanced without Robertson in the team as everything seems to need to go through him when he's playing and that's not how he plays for Liverpool.

He'll obviously start in the play offs and rightfully so but there is no need for him to drift inside as much as he usually does for us and concentrate on getting up and down the wings.

Palmer will start and I think we'll play KT at CH.

Agree, I actually feel Robertson can't perform around some of our absolute duds. It somewhat exposes him to be a weaker football than he is. He is not the type of player to make others better around him either. 

1 hour ago, infamous said:

Agree, I actually feel Robertson can't perform around some of our absolute duds. It somewhat exposes him to be a weaker football than he is. He is not the type of player to make others better around him either. 

Darren Fletcher had the same problem.

1 hour ago, infamous said:

Agreed but he also isn't as you say, good enough o take games by the scruff of the neck like real superstars do for similar nations (Bale for example).

He needs to concentrate on his job first and foremost. The midfield is good enough IMO without the need for him to drift inside as he has the tendency to do and he, whilst being amazing at wing back for Liverpool, isn't good enough a player to dictate a game.

31 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Agreed but he also isn't as you say, good enough o take games by the scruff of the neck like real superstars do for similar nations (Bale for example).

He needs to concentrate on his job first and foremost. The midfield is good enough IMO without the need for him to drift inside as he has the tendency to do and he, whilst being amazing at wing back for Liverpool, isn't good enough a player to dictate a game.

It's very difficult for a full back to be dominant in the way you suggest and to take a game by the scruff of the neck in the same way that a central midfielder, defender or forward can do.

Maybe he thinks he needs to do more and as you point out, doing his job well should be his main priority.  

14 hours ago, daviebee said:

We had a coherent plan of attack

Can you explain to me what it was then? Because the closest thing i saw was "give it to the wingers and hope they beat their men 1v1 and make something happen", which is a garbage tactic and utterly unusable against any other team.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

It's very difficult for a full back to be dominant in the way you suggest and to take a game by the scruff of the neck in the same way that a central midfielder, defender or forward can do.

Maybe he thinks he needs to do more and as you point out, doing his job well should be his main priority.  

That's why I think being captain is hampering him.

22 minutes ago, andyD said:

Can you explain to me what it was then? Because the closest thing i saw was "give it to the wingers and hope they beat their men 1v1 and make something happen", which is a garbage tactic and utterly unusable against any other team.

Moving McGinn further forward, allowing him to impact the game more.

Full backs overlapping more than they have in previous games. Midfield actually had a fluency to it rather than just 4 guys in the middle playing the same role.

6 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Moving McGinn further forward, allowing him to impact the game more.

That's not a plan of attack, that's a selection choice.

minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Full backs overlapping more than they have in previous games.

That did not happen _at_all_ against San Marino. I'm sorry, but it just didn't. I don't think Palmer went beyond Christie once, I think Robertson maybe had 1 overlap all game.

minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Midfield actually had a fluency to it rather than just 4 guys in the middle playing the same role.

Umm.. in so much as they had acres of space 30 yards from goal to roll it around a bit then have a long shot at goal what went wide. I'm not sure I'd call that fluency. We didn't play past anyone, no one broke from deep, we didn't really penetrate San Marino at all, be it with midfield breaking/passing, playing off the front man (which never happened even once) not with overloads in wide areas. None of this happened.

It was a very, very selfish game, wide men just running in with the ball, and center mids shooting from 25 yards. There was no system in evidence that i could make out.

22 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

That's why I think being captain is hampering him.

You may well be right in that.  I'm not sure he should ever have been made captain in the first place.  That's no slight on Robertson, I just happen to think that in terms of on the field influence the captain should ideally be a centre back or central midfielder.   I suspect Robertson got the captaincy primarily because there was no other option.   Obviously there's the whole off the field aspect of being captain, which is as important, if not more so than on the field influence.  Only those in and around the squad will know how Robertson does in that respect. 

Long term McGinn probably looks like the best prospect. 

7 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

The other week I got to see Liverpool at Villa park and the thing that struck me most was that Robbo and Alexander-Arnold didn't warm up with the Centre Backs, they warmed up with the strikers! Robbo on one side Trent A-A on the other and Mane, Salah and Firminho in the middle. It wasn't just crossing, it included shooting.

The key to utilising Robertson for Scotland is to allow him to do that against weaker opposition like Taylor and Palmer did on Tuesday and then more restrained in others. But until we have world class centre backs he's going to have to do a lot more of the latter

The question is then whether he's the best man for those occasions.