Liam Palmer - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Liam Palmer

mrniaboc

18 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Tierney can terrorise opposing left backs if played at RB. Palmer cannot. 

That has never happened. Tierney barely crosses the halfway line when playing at right back and stifles out options when attacking as he can't even threaten to overlap as he has no right foot.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

Overall i thought Palmer did fine. Got rid when he needed to and played direct balls forward when he had the opportunity. Nothing wrong with his performance and for a guy on his 3rd cap i'm fine with that.

Pretty well the way I saw it, more than happy to play Tierney in defence and have Palmer right back

9 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Pretty well the way I saw it, more than happy to play Tierney in defence and have Palmer right back

Seems the sensible way to go doesnt it. Tierney's been solid when in the middle, and is a bit of a surprise weapon when he goes on a wobble up the pitch from centerback, with Robertson dropping to cover.

Palmer - Souttar - Tierney - Robertson

Feels alright. Just need them all fit and ready obviously.

3 hours ago, andyD said:

That has never happened. Tierney barely crosses the halfway line when playing at right back and stifles out options when attacking as he can't even threaten to overlap as he has no right foot.

He's hardly played there and isn't used to it. Palmer doesn't have that excuse as he plays there every week.

If Tierney is asked to play at right back and gets a run of games there he will be a far better option than Palmer. Unless Palmer just happens to have had 2-3 bad games for us and is actually a good RB but I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that.

25 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

God forbid someone should have a different opinion to you.

I'm getting the impression you don't like Tierney much?

I think he's a good player, and we'll be better off when he's available.

But based on his performances at right back, he's not someone that should be considered there in any game where we are likely to have possession or attack in numbers. He's a hindrance to that when playing there.

Playing him at center back with Robertson at left back: Yep
Playing him at left back with Robertson ahead of him: Yep
Playing him at right back against Belgium type teams: Yep
Playing him at right back against Cyprus, Israel, Albania, Kazakhstan type teams: No thanks.

And it wasn't that you had a different opinion. It's that from the evidence so far there's nothing to support what you were saying. That's why it's your imagination and not a reasoned position.

Edited by andyD

46 minutes ago, andyD said:

I think he's a good player, and we'll be better off when he's available.

But based on his performances at right back, he's not someone that should be considered there in any game where we are likely to have possession or attack in numbers. He's a hindrance to that when playing there.

Playing him at center back with Robertson at left back: Yep
Playing him at left back with Robertson ahead of him: Yep
Playing him at right back against Belgium type teams: Yep
Playing him at right back against Cyprus, Israel, Albania, Kazakhstan type teams: No thanks.

And it wasn't that you had a different opinion. It's that from the evidence so far there's nothing to support what you were saying. That's why it's your imagination and not a reasoned position.

I do have a different opinion and it's based on what I have seen from both Palmer and Tierney. My opinion is that I don't rate Palmer and I would rather see Tierney play at RB, regardless of the opposition.

Palmer offers absolutely nothing going forward regardless of who we are playing. I would go as far as to see he may be the worst crosser of a ball I have seen playing for us at RB, including the left footed Kieran Tierney.

I don't think Palmer had a terrible game against Cyprus but he barely got down the right wing and when he did he did nothing with the ball.

If Clarke is going to persevere with Palmer then I hope he settles into the role and does better for us but from what I have seen of him he just isn't very good, in my opinion.

Edited by Texas Pete

Palmer turns up and wants to play. We have no idea if Tierney will be injured, available or even want to play come March. Apart from that I am sure there will be a few call off's as per usual so the defence may pick itself. As for saying Palmer is English and people being surprised if he celebrates a goal, as far as I can see the guy tries his best so where he comes from has no bearing IMO.

6 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

Palmer turns up and wants to play. We have no idea if Tierney will be injured, available or even want to play come March. Apart from that I am sure there will be a few call off's as per usual so the defence may pick itself. As for saying Palmer is English and people being surprised if he celebrates a goal, as far as I can see the guy tries his best so where he comes from has no bearing IMO.

I have absolutely no issues with Palmer's commitment or where he was born or what accent he has. It's his ability that worries me.

If he's the best RB we've got and Tierney either doesn't turn up for squads or if Clarke has other plans for Tierney then we'll just need to go with Palmer until someone better emerges.

I think people forget that Palmer was a youth international for us. Been pulling on a Scotland shirt since he was a teenage. He's 28 now, so if he was just looking for international caps to boost his reputation he'd probably have switched to Jamaica long ago (no disrespect to them).

He picked Scotland when he was a teenage and he's not wavered. 10 years of the dark blue and some folk don't think he's Scottish enough. ffs.

Think Palmer has done reasonably well since getting into the team, as an attacking threat I feel he is a much better option than O'Donnell, but do feel he leaves himself a tad exposed to much.

When he was in the Scotland U21's I am sure he was more a midfielder, and I thought he was far to lightweight to make it (but did show some skill) and almost 10 years later he has become a 1st choice RB in the Championship, and its a problem area for us, and over the last few games he has shown he can do a job for us (but its a case of you know as soon as anything better comes along he will be straight out the team again, and probably struggle to find a place after that).

Just now, 0Neils40yarder said:

He was given a shitey pass, and lost the ball in the middle of the pitch... There were a few folk at fault for the goal 

For sure, as has been pointed out by numerous posters on here earlier.

But the first person under examination was he who needlessly gave the ball away trying a pass inside on the half way line.

Either way, we got out of it in due course, and Palmer had a fine second half.