Liam Palmer - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Liam Palmer

mrniaboc

12 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I'd almost certainly start Tierney ahead of Palmer with a gun to my head, assuming he actually wants to play, but it's at least a little refreshing to have a match go by and not have a bunch of post saying that our RB was a bomb scare and not fit for international football. It's a small step in the right direction. 

Tierney wasn't born in Scotland. He was born on the Isle of Man

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Okay so where does Tierney play in a side containing Robertson? And where has he played in previous Scotland matches with Robertson in the same team?

Haifa at LCB with Robertson at LWB.

That did not go well for either party or for the team in general - playing a back five with five who all played in a back four for their clubs to accommodate our two LB superstars was the beginning of the end for McLeish.

21 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

The problem with Palmer for me is he offers absolutely nothing going forward. He seemed ok in defence yesterday but you do need to consider the standard of opposition. 

Tierney can terrorise opposing left backs if played at RB. Palmer cannot. 

Palmer isn't the answer but we need full backs that can defend more than we need ones that can attack. When you don't have players that are as good as the opposition the best thing to do is defend. 

Beginning to think we should consider Robertson at right back he has been a 6.5 left back for us, how good he is for Liverpool is neither here nor there

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You do realise that in order to fit both Robertson and Tierney into the same starting line-up it means right-back for Tierney? Unless Clarke finds another solution.

Possibly although Tierney could play in central defence I suppose or he could play at LB with Robertson in a more forward role. 

RB is a real problem area for us though so I would imagine Clarke might opt for Tierney at RB. 

2 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Haifa at LCB with Robertson at LWB.

That did not go well for either party or for the team in general - playing a back five with five who all played in a back four for their clubs to accommodate our two LB superstars was the beginning of the end for McLeish.

But that's the point. Where does he fit into the side? The most logical slot is right-back but for me that just does not work.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/18037938.liam-palmer-late-nan-jean-carluke-finally-made-hampden-park/

Has played for us at u19/u21 level. Anyone putting him with the ex-English youth players who choose us in their 20s needs a word with themselves. 

I'd also note that Steve Clarke worked with O'Donnell nearly everyday for 2 years. If he is picking Palmer over him, then he obviously feels O'Donnell isn't good enough and sees Palmer as a superior player to him.

30 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Stephen O'Donnell turns up every time he is selected and participates in the goal celebrations with a beaming smile.

He is a workmanlike right back - very similar to Liam Palmer.

He's also very articulate and comes across very well when interviewed as a Scotland player.

He is also Scottish.

I remember watching an interview with O'Donnell earlier this year, was a bizzare but funny video of him baking empire biscuits. He mentioned not really dreaming of playing for Scotland and noted that his Dad was Irish. He did also say it was an amazing experience getting his first cap and how proud he was but thought it was interesting and shows that nationality isn't binary. If Palmer wants to play for us and he qualifies he should play. 

1 minute ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

I remember watching an interview with O'Donnell earlier this year, was a bizzare but funny video of him baking empire biscuits. He mentioned not really dreaming of playing for Scotland and noted that his Dad was Irish. He did also say it was an amazing experience getting his first cap and how proud he was but thought it was interesting and shows that nationality isn't binary. If Palmer wants to play for us and he qualifies he should play. 

Lets remember that Palmer has been pulling on Scotland shirts for eight years now.

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Palmer isn't the answer but we need full backs that can defend more than we need ones that can attack. When you don't have players that are as good as the opposition the best thing to do is defend. 

Beginning to think we should consider Robertson at right back he has been a 6.5 left back for us, how good he is for Liverpool is neither here nor there

Of course but attacking is a big part of a full back’s role now. If Palmer had got down the wing a few times and put some decent crosses on we might have scored a couple more goals yesterday. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Tierney has to want to play first, the jury is out on that right now.

I can't see Tierney starting the march games

These were the games for him to be tried at right back under this manager, and he's never turned up

I think we are being very harsh on Palmer here. He's not exactly Cafu but right now, he's a passable right back and may well allow Tierney to play centre half given our utter dearth of talent in the centre of defence.

Palmer does not offer too much going forward as noted previously but does a reasonable enough defensive job. Right now, he is probably our best option and playing regularly at a comfortably higher level than SOD. Willing to let Palmer start at RB in March.

I thought Palmer did okay on Saturday. He doesn't offer much going forward but he seems quite solid defensively, which is something. In that sense he reminds me a bit of Graham Alexander. He's no world beater, but he's a better option than Stephen O'Donnell, IMO. Ideally neither would be in the squad but that's hardly their fault.

Regarding his background, no one bothered that the aforementioned Alexander was born and brought up in Coventry, presumably because it was accepted that he'd been "brought up Scottish" (whatever that actually means in practice).  Palmer is no fly-by-night, playing for Scotland to enhance his profile either - he's played umpteen times for the under-21s. 

A lot of posters on here have real bees in their bunnets about so-called 'eligibles' playing for Scotland but off the top of my head I can only think of about five or six players born outside Scotland who've been in the squad lately. By contrast almost half the current Wales squad - the same Wales who "qualify for things" and who people want us try and emulate - were born outside Wales.

5 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I thought Palmer did okay on Saturday. He doesn't offer much going forward but he seems quite solid defensively, which is something. In that sense he reminds me a bit of Graham Alexander. He's no world beater, but he's a better option than Stephen O'Donnell, IMO. Ideally neither would be in the squad but that's hardly their fault.

Regarding his background, no one bothered that the aforementioned Alexander was born and brought up in Coventry, presumably because it was accepted that he'd been "brought up Scottish" (whatever that actually means in practice).  Palmer is no fly-by-night, playing for Scotland to enhance his profile either - he's played umpteen times for the under-21s. 

A lot of posters on here have real bees in their bunnets about so-called 'eligibles' playing for Scotland but off the top of my head I can only think of about five or six players born outside Scotland who've been in the squad lately. By contrast almost half the current Wales squad - the same Wales who "qualify for things" and who people want us try and emulate - were born outside Wales.

Wales don’t “qualify for things”, they qualify for things.

They qualified for the last euros and they’re about to qualify for this one too.

They will also do so whilst regularly having teenagers in their squad & not waiting till players are 26 or 27 before giving them a call up. 

That being said they are a lot better than us so we can’t compare ourselves to them now.

We can, however, try and replicate what they have done, which I think is the point people make when we use them as a benchmark. 

8 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Wales don’t “qualify for things”, they qualify for things.

They qualified for the last euros and they’re about to qualify for this one too.

They will also do so whilst regularly having teenagers in their squad & not waiting till players are 26 or 27 before giving them a call up. 

That being said they are a lot better than us so we can’t compare ourselves to them now.

We can, however, try and replicate what they have done, which I think is the point people make when we use them as a benchmark. 

To date, they've qualified for one thing in 50 years.  

But aye, they're undoubtedly in better shape than we are at the moment (I wish we were only one win away from qualification) and good on them for that.

One of the things they have not done, clearly, is be sniffy about eligibility rules. You'd think our squad was flooded with 'eligibles' the way some people go on.