Liam Palmer - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Liam Palmer

mrniaboc

Didn't hear much about him in all the post-match comments on here, and I assume that's actually a good sign? Noticed he was rated as our fifth best player in the match on BBC. Is he actually a solid, but no frills option for right back or do we still want Tierney in there ASAP? 

Also noticed he joined in the goal celebrations with a beaming smile on his face. 

Edited by mrniaboc

Stephen O'Donnell turns up every time he is selected and participates in the goal celebrations with a beaming smile.

He is a workmanlike right back - very similar to Liam Palmer.

He's also very articulate and comes across very well when interviewed as a Scotland player.

He is also Scottish.

He did OK but he's no were near Scottish enough for some on here. Looked like he would be taken of injured at one point and it might have lead to Jack(who I thought was hopeless and thankfully no were near out best midfield) moving to right back.

Idiot manager wouldn't have thought of that and just given his Killie pal another undeserved cap.

2 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Stephen O'Donnell turns up every time he is selected and participates in the goal celebrations with a beaming smile.

He is a workmanlike right back - very similar to Liam Palmer.

He's also very articulate and comes across very well when interviewed as a Scotland player.

He is also Scottish.

So we now have TWO suitable right backs? Great stuff. 

Just now, ceudmilefailte said:

He did OK but he's no were near Scottish enough for some on here. Looked like he would be taken of injured at one point and it might have lead to Jack(who I thought was hopeless and thankfully no were near out best midfield) moving to right back.

Idiot manager wouldn't have thought of that and just given his Killie pal another undeserved cap.

Neither was Don Hutchison but I bet they all forgot that when he scored against England.

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

"Scottish enough". What IS Scottish enough? Aren't we all a spectrum of Scottishness even as fans? I'm Scottish, but I live in England. Am I Scottish enough? I don't like peaty whisky. Am I Scottish enough? It has to be about desire, right? I want Scotland to succeed with every fibre of my being. If Palmer is eligible for us and wants the same, isn't he Scottish enough? 

Just now, Texas Pete said:

The problem with Palmer for me is he offers absolutely nothing going forward. He seemed ok in defence yesterday but you do need to consider the standard of opposition. 

Tierney can terrorise opposing left backs if played at RB. Palmer cannot. 

I'm not sure I agree fully with this. KT definitely has more ability to terrorise, but don't you remember the main criticism of him when he played at RB was that he wasn't able to do that anywhere near as effectively as when he's on the left, and he basically sat back the whole time and passed the ball off? 

1 minute ago, mrniaboc said:

I'm not sure I agree fully with this. KT definitely has more ability to terrorise, but don't you remember the main criticism of him when he played at RB was that he wasn't able to do that anywhere near as effectively as when he's on the left, and he basically sat back the whole time and passed the ball off? 

Of course Tierney isn’t as effective on the right as he is on the left but he would do a damn sight better than Palmer would. 

Palmer appears hesitant to get forward and when he does he couldn’t deliver a decent cross if his life depended on it. 

Just now, Texas Pete said:

The problem with Palmer for me is he offers absolutely nothing going forward. He seemed ok in defence yesterday but you do need to consider the standard of opposition. 

Tierney can terrorise opposing left backs if played at RB. Palmer cannot. 

Your first paragraph is spot on TP.

However you seem to think Keiran Tierney is Danny McGrain in that he can switch comfortably between left and right. He can't. He's a waste of a better than decent LB when played on the right.

As for Tierney terrorising opposition LBs from RB, sorry I disagree. He is a less than ordinary right back who did alright there one night in an emergency.

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

Of course Tierney isn’t as effective on the right as he is on the left but he would do a damn sight better than Palmer would. 

Palmer appears hesitant to get forward and when he does he couldn’t deliver a decent cross if his life depended on it. 

I'd almost certainly start Tierney ahead of Palmer with a gun to my head, assuming he actually wants to play, but it's at least a little refreshing to have a match go by and not have a bunch of post saying that our RB was a bomb scare and not fit for international football. It's a small step in the right direction. 

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

Your first paragraph is spot on TP.

However you seem to think Keiran Tierney is Danny McGrain in that he can switch comfortably between left and right. He can't. He's a waste of a better than decent LB when played on the right.

As for Tierney terrorising opposition LBs from RB, sorry I disagree. He is a less than ordinary right back who did alright there one night in an emergency.

I don’t want Tierney at RB to be honest. I would just prefer him to Palmer.

I think Tierney has the potential to be a very good RB if he gets more practice in that position. I don’t think Palmer and O’Donnell are going to get any better than they have shown. 

2 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

No - why would I have?

Well he was, like Palmer, born in England. the point here is about commitment. Being born in Scotland does not automatically mean he is more committed to playing for Scotland. Look at those that have retired way before their time or who chose not to make themselves available for us and a lot of them in recent times have been those born in Scotland.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Ironically, Palmer being attacked for his Englishness was only playing because a player born and brought up in Scotland (Kieran Tierney) couldn't be arsed.

Keiran Tierney has nothing to do with the RB position.

The issue is why Liam Palmer - at best an ordinary RB as others have pointed out in this thread - is being preferred to another decent Scottish RB.

We aren't talking Scott McTominay or James Morrison who are/were certainly additions to the squad. It;'s Liam Palmer.

3 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I'd almost certainly start Tierney ahead of Palmer with a gun to my head, assuming he actually wants to play, but it's at least a little refreshing to have a match go by and not have a bunch of post saying that our RB was a bomb scare and not fit for international football. It's a small step in the right direction. 

Me too but I’d rather we found a natural right back that we could rely on and play Tierney somewhere on the left or even at CB or LB if Robertson doesn’t up his game.

I suppose we can start worrying about it when Tierney and Robertson are both in the squad again. 

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

Keiran Tierney has nothing to do with the RB position.

The issue is why Liam Palmer - at best an ordinary RB as others have pointed out in this thread - is being preferred to another decent Scottish RB.

We aren't talking Scott McTominay or James Morrison who are/were certainly additions to the squad. It;'s Liam Palmer.

You do realise that in order to fit both Robertson and Tierney into the same starting line-up it means right-back for Tierney? Unless Clarke finds another solution.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

You do realise that in order to fit both Robertson and Tierney into the same starting line-up it means right-back for Tierney? Unless Clarke finds another solution.

It means no such thing of the kind CC.

Let's not make things up that have no basis in fact or common sense.