Euro 2020 Playoffs (The REAL poll) - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2020 Playoffs (The REAL poll)

The_Dark_Knight

Where will we finish in the Euro 2020 playoffs?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. What will our fates be in the Euro 2020 Playoffs?

• Winner of the final
    • Runner up in the final
    • Semi-final loser

13 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I'm not surprised, to be honest. I knew a fair chunk of people would vote that we'd qualify... Didn't know that it was would so much, though. 

86.48% think we'll be in the final.

Cripes...

Must be great being able to see into the future.

11 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tbf the teams we could face in the semi are beatable, but there isn't much chance of us beating Serbia or even Norway in the final. That's why I have said we will reach the final. Of course this is probably a more optimistic outlook as we could easily still get beat in the semi going by our recent form.

Serbia and Norway are not that good. If they were they wouldn't have finished below us in League C and would have qualified through their group.

The good old Scottish inferiority complex is rife on here.

21 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Serbia and Norway are not that good. If they were they wouldn't have finished below us in League C and would have qualified through their group.

The good old Scottish inferiority complex is rife on here.

They are better than us on paper and we are playing really poor atm. To say otherwise is just deluding ourselves, we do have a chance against those teams but let's be honest we would be underdogs unless our form massively improves. Serbia are strong in all positions. I would give us a better chance v norway but I still reckon it would be a big ask.

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

They are better than us on paper and we are playing really poor atm. To say otherwise is just deluding ourselves, we do have a chance against those teams but let's be honest we would be underdogs unless our form massively improves. Serbia are strong in all positions. I would give us a better chance v norway but I still reckon it would be a big ask.

Serbia struggled to beat Luxembourg at home the other day only winning 3-2 and Luxembourg should have scored at the end. Norway drew with Spain last month and looked pretty good doing it so Norway could end up being a tougher opponent.

I think we will struggle to beat either of these two sides away from home (assuming we can win the first game) but we have a great chance of beating either of them at Hampden.

You say we are playing really poorly at the moment and whilst I don't completely disagree with that, if we beat Kazakhstan tomorrow night we will have won three games in a row. OK so the opposition is hardly fantastic but I'm not sure you could say a team who has won three in a row (and it would be four in a row if we end up playing Serbia or Norway) are playing really poorly.

As bad as we've been in this campaign we only lost 2-1 to Russia at Hampden. Russia are far better than Norway and Serbia at the moment so we have a chance if we're at home.

The playoffs are also not next week. Or even next month. Who knows how we'll be playing in 4 months time? 

If we can win the first playoff match it will give us a massive confidence boost going into the second game and if that game is also at home then I would say we might actually be favourites to qualify.

28 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Serbia struggled to beat Luxembourg at home the other day only winning 3-2 and Luxembourg should have scored at the end. Norway drew with Spain last month and looked pretty good doing it so Norway could end up being a tougher opponent.

I think we will struggle to beat either of these two sides away from home (assuming we can win the first game) but we have a great chance of beating either of them at Hampden.

You say we are playing really poorly at the moment and whilst I don't completely disagree with that, if we beat Kazakhstan tomorrow night we will have won three games in a row. OK so the opposition is hardly fantastic but I'm not sure you could say a team who has won three in a row (and it would be four in a row if we end up playing Serbia or Norway) are playing really poorly.

As bad as we've been in this campaign we only lost 2-1 to Russia at Hampden. Russia are far better than Norway and Serbia at the moment so we have a chance if we're at home.

The playoffs are also not next week. Or even next month. Who knows how we'll be playing in 4 months time? 

If we can win the first playoff match it will give us a massive confidence boost going into the second game and if that game is also at home then I would say we might actually be favourites to qualify.

I’m not sure if you’re massively underrating Serbia, or overrating us, or a bit of both, but you’re failing to see the discrepancy between the two teams that others can see.

Obviously, football is a really competitive sport, and home advantage is quite significant, so we’d certainly have a reasonable percentage chance against Serbia, but I’d say we’re talking around 70/30 in Serbia’s favour, (before we know which team would be at home.)

As you have said, it would be much closer to 50/50 if we were at home, but probably still slightly in Serbia’s favour. We have too many players in our team that are below Serbia’s level, for us to be favourites. Also, our one top class player is a left back, which isn’t a position that can influence the outcome of games very much.

That’s the only realistic, impartial analysis of the situation that I can see. We are not one of the top 24 sides in Europe. We are only in contention to still qualify because of a mix of our previous ranking, the Nations League qualifying route which provides an allowance for some leaser teams to qualify, and a very lucky draw which placed us in a three-team group with Albania and Cyprus.

Serbia topped a four-team Nations League Group ahead of Romania, and played at the World Cup, almost reaching the knockout stages, last summer. That shows a team which are quite far ahead of us. ‘Only’ beating Luxembourg 3-2 doesn’t suddenly put them on our level.

Edited by dohadeer

5 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

I’m not sure if you’re massively underrating Serbia, or overrating us, or a bit of both, but you’re failing to see the discrepancy between the two teams that others can see.

Obviously, football is a really competitive sport, and home advantage is quite significant, so we’d certainly have a reasonable percentage chance against Serbia, but I’d say we’re talking around 70/30 in Serbia’s favour, (before we know which team would be at home.)

As you have said, it would be much closer to 50/50 if we were at home, but probably still slightly in Serbia’s favour. We have too many players in our team that are below Serbia’s level, for us to be favourites. Also, our one top class player is a left back, which isn’t a position that can influence the outcome of games very much.

That’s the only realistic, impartial analysis of the situation that I can see. We are not one of the top 24 sides in Europe. We are only in contention to still qualify because of a mix of our previous ranking, the Nations League qualifying route which provides an allowance for some leaser teams to qualify, and a very lucky draw which placed us in a three-team group with Albania and Cyprus.

Serbia topped a four-team Nations League Group ahead of Romania, and played at the World Cup, almost reaching the knockout stages, last summer. That shows a team which are quite far ahead of us. ‘Only’ beating Luxembourg 3-2 doesn’t suddenly put them on our level.

No, but it does show they are not in great form at the moment and they are certainly not invincible but again, we don't know what they will be like in 4 months time.

I would mildly surprised if Serbia beat Norway. Spain couldn't beat Norway recently and neither could Sweden so I wouldn't write them off just yet. The game will also be played in Norway.

If I was a betting man I would put a tenner on the playoff final being Scotland v Norway with the home team qualifying for the finals.

Having said all that I wouldn't be that surprised if we lost our first match and Serbia qualified. All of the group winners in League C are of a similar standard. If Serbia are as good as you make out, why were they in League C in the first place?

Guest ElChris04

Went for semi final loser. 

right now our defence can easily be split open to the point it’s mental. hopefully with Tierney,Souttar,Robertson back aswell as Griffiths then we could very well go all the way but I feel even without one of them we will be punished defensively and not having that striker with Griffiths quality will hurt us.

I hope I’m wrong though and we manage to go all the way but right now it’s still naive to get ahead of ourselves. Bulgaria may be rotten but so are we, there also main key is punishing teams for set pieces as demonstrated against the Czech Republic and I think we know how well do at defending them..

the point is I’ve been positive up until that Kazakhstan defeat and I’m no longer getting sucked into false dawns of hope. I’ve not been fully convinced on matches under Clarke either but he’s got a tough job trying to rebuild a team who’s belief and confidence has been ripped from them from that 3-0 thrashing of Kazakhstan. If by the end we have qualified I’ll be over the moon but until then I’m staying grounded and being realistic with no expectations with past experiences, and its the same for most of my mates. 

31 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

In fairness, I apologised in the post you quoted.

;)

4 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I would be flattered if he wasn't a guy. On second thoughts, I wouldn't be, what kind of a woman would hang around a football forum with a bunch of dudes? "Big Bertha", comes to mind. *shudder*

Apologizes to any lady who frequent this board. 

Highly doubt there's any ladies here, though.

Gee thanks for that. Its great to feel as warm and fuzzy on the inside as it does on the outside 🙄 

8 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Gee thanks for that. Its great to feel as warm and fuzzy on the inside as it does on the outside 🙄 

To be fair, it's extremely rare to see any sort of apology from TDK, even if it's as much of a non-apology as that hahaha. 

Possibly explains why he has such trouble spelling the word 'apologies' 😂

28 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I read all of it but didn't understand it as it isn't in proper English. 😆

Really? Try this website: http://www.hemingwayapp.com/

I typed my post in it, it got "grade 0", and then posted yours (the one that I'm replying to), and it got "grade 3".

In other words, my post is easier to read and better written than yours.

2 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Really? Try this website: http://www.hemingwayapp.com/

I typed my post in it, it got "grade 0", and then posted yours (the one that I'm replying to), and it got "grade 3".

In other words, my post is easier to read and better written than yours.

If you think what you wrote is grammatically correct or easy to read then fair play to you. You still didn’t get my point though. 

You seem to be 100% certain that we won’t qualify. You do not know this for a fact. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

If you think what you wrote is grammatically correct or easy to read then fair play to you. You still didn’t get my point though. 

You seem to be 100% certain that we won’t qualify. You do not know this for a fact. 

Not only do I think it's grammatically correct and easy to read, the Hemingway editor also thinks it.

I'm not sure what your point is. You claimed that I have a time machine, just because I said a fair chunk of people would vote that we'd qualify.

I'm 99.99% certain. The 0.01% only exists because the playoffs are still to be played.

8 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Not only do I think it's grammatically correct and easy to read, the Hemingway editor also thinks it.

I'm not sure what your point is. You claimed that I have a time machine, just because I said a fair chunk of people would vote that we'd qualify.

I'm 99.99% certain. The 0.01% only exists because the playoffs are still to be played.

“Didn’t know that is was would so much, though” doesn’t make much sense. Would what? Would wasn’t an option. It’s not even a full sentence, it’s a fragment. Who didn’t know? You? 

Anyway, it doesn’t really matter. The fact is you misunderstood my point. 

You were mocking people that thought we would win the first playoff match. There’s no need to mock people for having a bit of hope and positivity, something you never appear to have about anything.

You appear to be saying that you know for a fact that we won’t even make the play off final as if you can see into the future, which you can’t. 

I've got the Malta Norway game on in the back ground.  Currently they are 1 nil up.   I reckon this could be a coin toss, hopefully we wont  play them until the 2nd round we would get Bulgaria first.   They are building the play offs from D up to A, so I think it is a certainty now it will be Scotland, Serbia, Norway and Bulgaria in our play off group.  

Malta just scored a great goal, Norway's defense looked pretty terrible there but some great build up play from Malta. 

Edited by romanticscot

2 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I've got the Malta Norway game on in the back ground.  Currently they are 1 nil up.   I reckon this could be a coin toss, hopefully we wont not potentially play them until the 2nd round we would get Bulgaria first.   They are building the play offs from D up to A, so I think it is a certainty now it will be Scotland, Serbia, Norway and Bulgaria in our play off group.  

We can’t get Norway until the playoff final. Norway will definitely play Serbia in Norway in the first playoff match. The winner of that match will play the winner of our match. 

I don’t think we’ll find out for sure who we’ve got until Friday. 

I could be wrong but I think it will be Bulgaria due to the fact that Finland auto qualified - Norway or Serbia cannot auto qualify so the next best placed team in League C is Bulgaria.  If they did it, A down to C it would be different.  

52 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

“Didn’t know that is was would so much, though” doesn’t make much sense. Would what? Would wasn’t an option. It’s not even a full sentence, it’s a fragment. Who didn’t know? You? 

Anyway, it doesn’t really matter. The fact is you misunderstood my point. 

You were mocking people that thought we would win the first playoff match. There’s no need to mock people for having a bit of hope and positivity, something you never appear to have about anything.

You appear to be saying that you know for a fact that we won’t even make the play off final as if you can see into the future, which you can’t. 

Didn't you read what i was replying to? Mrbiamoc said that he was surprised so many people think we'll win the playoffs. I said that i knew a fair chunk of people would think it, but not quite as much as there is.

Perhaps you ought to read the origins of a conversations before you chime in. If you just read it from the middle, of course you're going to be confused

It's not positivity. It's bordering on insanity.