Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The_Dark_Knight

Euro 2020 Playoffs (The REAL poll)

Where will we finish in the Euro 2020 playoffs?  

87 members have voted

  1. 1. What will our fates be in the Euro 2020 Playoffs?

    • Winner of the final
    • Runner up in the final
    • Semi-final loser


Recommended Posts

(Third attempt at this. Hopefully it's done right this time )

I haven't done much research on the playoffs, as it doesn't interest me in the slightest. It's a distraction. Instead of building for the next World Cup qualifiers, we're stopping it to focus on the playoffs for Euro 2020.

In the semi-final we'll either get Bulgaria, Israel and Romania. The final will be Noway or Serbia.

Currently we have no keeper, no right back, no center backs, no anchorman, no striker, etc, and yet people seem to think that we'll qualify.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

(Third attempt at this. Hopefully it's done right this time )

I haven't done much research on the playoffs, as it doesn't interest me in the slightest. It's a distraction. Instead of building for the next World Cup qualifiers, we're stopping it to focus on the playoffs for Euro 2020.

In the semi-final we'll either get Bulgaria, Israel and Romania. The final will be Noway or Serbia.

Currently we have no keeper, no right back, no center backs, no anchorman, no striker, etc, and yet people seem to think that we'll qualify.

I genuinely don't think many on here believe we will qualify, and your early poll results are showing that. But the point is that it's the best chance we've had in a very long time, and may have for a very long time going forward. So let's get behind the boys and try and enjoy the occasion! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I can only 1 or 2 folk picking option 3. It depends on many factors, right now I'm picking option 2.

 

We need home advantage, everyone fit and no suspensions, be on the top of our game and them to be off theirs oh and a favorable opposition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

(Third attempt at this. Hopefully it's done right this time )

I haven't done much research on the playoffs, as it doesn't interest me in the slightest. It's a distraction. Instead of building for the next World Cup qualifiers, we're stopping it to focus on the playoffs for Euro 2020.

In the semi-final we'll either get Bulgaria, Israel and Romania. The final will be Noway or Serbia.

Currently we have no keeper, no right back, no center backs, no anchorman, no striker, etc, and yet people seem to think that we'll qualify.

It's not a distraction. It's two games that we have a reasonable chance of winning. 

We have some good players and some clear weaknesses and are low on confidence but get our best players fit and there is no reason we couldn't beat these teams 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, WCTA said:

We’re shite. Beyond shite. Players don’t give a fuck anymore. We’ll fall at the first hurdle.

I voted yes

Naismith will go on a scoring run and be our talisman alongside christie and mcginn. 

We will win the final 3-2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

I voted yes

Naismith will go on a scoring run and be our talisman alongside christie and mcginn. 

We will win the final 3-2

Right Bonny, dae us a favour and log back oot o’ Vander’s page. 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Right Bonny, dae us a favour and log back oot o’ Vander’s page. 😄

🤣

Paul Dickov

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

I can't see us beating Serbia, Norway would be a tough ask as well especially with our lack of confidence and form.

Perhaps. But Serbia only laboured to a 3-2 win at home to Luxembourg a few days ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Perhaps. But Serbia only laboured to a 3-2 win at home to Luxembourg a few days ago.

Yeh they are beatable but we would have to start playing like a decent side and our so called talented epl players and Celtic players would need to start performing in a Scotland shirt. We really miss having a good striker who scores at international Level, mitrovic for example has over 30 goals and he's only 25. 

Sadly I think Serbia beat us due to those reasons plus they have better centre backs. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh they are beatable but we would have to start playing like a decent side and our so called talented epl players and Celtic players would need to start performing in a Scotland shirt. We really miss having a good striker who scores at international Level, mitrovic for example has over 30 goals and he's only 25. 

Sadly I think Serbia beat us due to those reasons plus they have better centre backs. 

 

 

Oh don't get me wrong. We have big issues that need addressing but where are the answers?

Central defence is an issue and many players and partnerships have been tried to no avail. All options exhausted. The same could be said about right-back too.

Up front we are so weak it is untrue. We have no international class strikers at present. Perhaps the best we have at present is Leigh Griffiths and he is unavailable. And again there are no other options on the horizon either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Scotland fans should watch the Portugal V Luxembourg match for what can and does happen now in international football. The European Champions are 1-0 up in Luxembourg but sweating on the result. Proof that there are far fewer easy games now in international football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Oh don't get me wrong. We have big issues that need addressing but where are the answers?

Central defence is an issue and many players and partnerships have been tried to no avail. All options exhausted. The same could be said about right-back too.

Up front we are so weak it is untrue. We have no international class strikers at present. Perhaps the best we have at present is Leigh Griffiths and he is unavailable. And again there are no other options on the horizon either.

Sadly these problems are massive ones and they dont look like getting any better. Looking through Serbia's team they have a back line that has Napoli, Roma and fiorentina players. Our back line yesterday had Motherwell, Aberdeen and Sheffield Wednesday players. For that reason alone I say that we will struggle against them. 

If we could get Griffith's back I would give us a much better chance but overall Serbia are quite strong in all positions.

Also we just look like a mentally broken team and our best players tend to avoid turning up for the squads if they can. Yesterday we looked a little better and it was a little more encouraging so there is some hope but we need to build on that with another win v Kazakhstan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Sadly these problems are massive ones and they dont look like getting any better. Looking through Serbia's team they have a back line that has Napoli, Roma and fiorentina players. Our back line yesterday had Motherwell, Aberdeen and Sheffield Wednesday players. For that reason alone I say that we will struggle against them. 

If we could get Griffith's back I would give us a much better chance but overall Serbia are quite strong in all positions.

Also we just look like a mentally broken team and our best players tend to avoid turning up for the squads if they can. Yesterday we looked a little better and it was a little more encouraging so there is some hope but we need to build on that with another win v Kazakhstan. 

I have a hope that the mentality of this group may start to change with a few wins, even though it's been against San Marino, Cyprus, and hopefully Kazakhstan. 

It can actually work two ways with the big name call offs. Sometimes the guys left behind can adopt a 'help is not coming, it's up to us now' mentality and start to really play for each other. I really hope we see some more glimpses of that on Tuesday evening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hesitate to ask but if you have no interest in the playoffs why do you keep posting about them?

We have a decent chance of getting to Euro 2020. We have next to no chance of getting to the next World Cup. Why should the World Cup qualifiers be the priority?

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I think Scotland fans should watch the Portugal V Luxembourg match for what can and does happen now in international football. The European Champions are 1-0 up in Luxembourg but sweating on the result. Proof that there are far fewer easy games now in international football.

Can you imagine the uproar on here if we only beat Luxembourg 0-1 away? France drew with them a couple of years back as well but we’d need to blooter them 0-5 to impress half our support. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am looking at the current play off spots, and there seems to me a real possibility that Norway and even Serbia get called up to the league B play off.  Wales have a win to qualify game v Hungary, the likes of Romania and maybe Greece very well end up in our play off. The saving grace for us is we are the top seed in league C so we sit tight whilst everyone else gets called up to fill vacant spots above us.  League A looks like they need three teams from League B and then League B might need as many as top spots from C. 

 

Let me go out on a limb here and make a stab at this. 

League A play offs

Iceland, Slovakia, Denmark or Rep of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

League B

Bonsia & H, Norway, Serbia and Bulgaria

League C

SCOTLAND, Israel, Hungary, Romania

Edited by romanticscot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, romanticscot said:

I am looking at the current play off spots, and there seems to me a real possibility that Norway and even Serbia get called up to the league B play off.  Wales have a win to qualify game v Hungary, the likes of Romania and maybe Greece very well end up in our play off. The saving grace for us is we are the top seed in league C so we sit tight whilst everyone else gets called up to fill vacant spots above us.  League A looks like they need three teams from League B and then League B might need as many as top spots from C. 

Would be a godsend to avoid Serbia.

They're decent anyway, but Mitrovic in his current form would terrorise what passes for our central defence these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I am looking at the current play off spots, and there seems to me a real possibility that Norway and even Serbia get called up to the league B play off.  Wales have a win to qualify game v Hungary, the likes of Romania and maybe Greece very well end up in our play off. The saving grace for us is we are the top seed in league C so we sit tight whilst everyone else gets called up to fill vacant spots above us.  League A looks like they need three teams from League B and then League B might need as many as top spots from C. 

No, Serbia and Norway were group winners so won't move to any other group. The slots will be filled with teams that finished 2nd and maybe 3rd in League C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bollocks - Ukraine equalise at the end.

Edit - wouldn't have made any difference anyway, as Portugal won.

Edited by Barney Rubble

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Would be a godsend to avoid Serbia.

They're decent anyway, but Mitrovic in his current form would terrorise what passes for our central defence these days.

Only chance we had of definitely avoiding Serbia was if Portugal slipped up today and Serbia had qualified.  

If we win our playoff match at Hampden we will definitely play Serbia or Norway. I think Norway will probably beat Serbia so I don’t think we would face them anyway. Anything can happen in a one off match though so who knows? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

No, Serbia and Norway were group winners so won't move to any other group. The slots will be filled with teams that finished 2nd and maybe 3rd in League C.

It is quite possible your correct, but I thought it was too seed in League Placement not you won your group that rooted you to the league play off., I'll see if I can look at the rules and assuming they are clear. 

Edited by romanticscot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...