Euro 2020 Playoffs (The REAL poll) - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2020 Playoffs (The REAL poll)

The_Dark_Knight

Where will we finish in the Euro 2020 playoffs?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. What will our fates be in the Euro 2020 Playoffs?

• Winner of the final
    • Runner up in the final
    • Semi-final loser

1 hour ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Talking of Oliver Mcburnie, this was your post in the McBurnie thread:

"I think the hate wagon needs to get off him and more into the Micky mouse pre Madonna’s who can’t be arsed to turn up or pull out with little excuse."

Do you see me asking why you're bringing Madonna into this? I'm not insinuating that you're deceiving people or lying to them by bringing a famous singer into a footballing debate.

What Madonna has got to do with players pulling out with little excuse, is simply beyond me.

Talking of segues... 

I think you also have the wrong man here. 

58 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Yeah, we won't, nor should we. It would be wrong on several levels. 

I would have liked to bring some of them in for this game tonight, as it happens (not as many as you would, two, three or four) but I think the concept of replacing the current senior team with the younger age groups wholesale is for the birds. 

We have a number of players who have plenty years of development ahead of them in and around the current senior team as it is, to be contemplating ditching them wholesale or in great number. 

I strongly fancy us to win the semi -final, so I doubt we will fail there. However, the final will be a big ask even at home. Not one I would count us out of entirely, though. A winner takes all home match against Norway or Serbia (A fair chance of coming to pass) is a damn sight closer than we've managed to get to a tournament in quite some time and both those nations are needing this back door for the same reason we are; they aren't all that hot, either. 

That being said, if we're away from home in the final I think we're on for a bit of a hiding. 

Nah. I didn't mean complete and wholesale changes. That would be bordering on crazy. I meant a pool of 7-8 players from the three youth teams. 

And yeah, I've looked at the ages of the players. It's not as high as i thought. On Saturday the average age of our first XI was 27.5, which ain't that bad. It's not entirely an age issue anyway, it's also a quality issue. Collectively and individually, the skill level of the u17 and u19s is higher than the senior team. I'd begin ohasing a few denior players out, asap.

I actually don't fancy our chances in the semi, no matter who it's against. 

3 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

However, if by the slimmest of chances that we do win the semi AND the final... It'll be embarrassing beyond belief. Over two matches we've beaten Cyprus by two clear goals (letting in two goals), imagine how much of a nervous wreck our players would be in if they came up sgainst France, Germany, Brazil. It's actually stuff that nightmares are made of.

Here's another statistical certainty for you TDK...

We have ZERO chance of losing to Brazil at the Euro 2020 finals. :ok:

7 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

We have zero percent chance of qualifying. Our chances are so small that, if I were in charge of the SFA, I would pull us out of the playoffs and tell FIFA "Thanks for the opportunity of qualifying for the European Championships of 2020 via the playoff route, unfortunately, we decline the offer". Will this happen? No chance. Should it happen? Oh, absolutely it should.

In my eyes, this whole Playoff business is a complete waste of time for us. It's not a waste of time for Serbia or Norway, as it'll give one of those countries a backdoor route to the European Championships, and I say good for them! If they attend the Euros in 2020 then I wish either team good fortune.

However, if by the slimmest of chances that we do win the semi AND the final... It'll be embarrassing beyond belief. Over two matches we've beaten Cyprus by two clear goals (letting in two goals), imagine how much of a nervous wreck our players would be in if they came up sgainst France, Germany, Brazil. It's actually stuff that nightmares are made of.

If you want to fixate on percentages and numbers, you're allowed. But I'm talking about football here.

You can accuse me of plucking random numbers from the sky, as well as lying, all you like. The cold, hard facts are that the chances of us qualifying for Euro 2020 is the tiniest, teeniest percentage known to human beings.

Deal with it. Accept it. Move on.

I’m not an expert in working out the chances of particular events happening. I’m going to assume from your posts in this thread that neither are you?

The bookmakers ARE experts in working out these sort of probabilities. They have to be, as they stand to lose millions of pounds and eventually go bankrupt, if they get their calculations even slightly wrong.

So, when the bookies release their qualification odds, and they assess our chances to be around 20%, as someone else on here quite reasonably assessed earlier in the thread, are you seriously going to try and claim that the bookies have got their calculations wrong by a factor of thousands? Will you also use your superior knowledge to make yourself loads of money based on their mistake?

Surely you have to agree that the bookies are way more adept than you and I at calculating the percentage chances of any team (including Scotland) qualifying for the finals?

12 minutes ago, Bino's said:

We've already beaten Israel and can't see being Romania as another host city

This is an interesting point, and although its not set in stone it has been mentioned before that they will look separate host nations in the playoffs where possible to maximise the chances of all qualifying. 

The issue is that there are 3 hosts within the league C playoffs, so they may just leave it to the draw knowing that whatever the outcome there will be 2 hosts in one league playoff draw. 

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

So - Scotland, Ireland, Romania and Hungary are all host nations that are in the play-offs.

What are UEFA to do?

Ireland are in the league B playoffs with NI, Bosnia and Slovakia so they have their own path. 

There will either be 2 host nations in our playoffs or in the league A playoffs if both Hungary and Romania are moved up there

12 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

Ireland are in the league B playoffs with NI, Bosnia and Slovakia so they have their own path. 

There will either be 2 host nations in our playoffs or in the league A playoffs if both Hungary and Romania are moved up there

I don't think that Republic of Ireland are guaranteed to be in the League B path with those teams.

I'm pretty sure that it's only Bosnia - as winners of a group - who are guaranteed to stay in the League B path. The rest of the teams in that path comes down to a draw.

10 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

I don't think that Republic of Ireland are guaranteed to be in the League B path with those teams.

I'm pretty sure that it's only Bosnia - as winners of a group - who are guaranteed to stay in the League B path. The rest of the teams in that path comes down to a draw.

I think that the idea is for teams to remain within their league as much as possible. I may be wrong but I think that with 4 teams that were in league B needing a playoff, then they will keep them together 

Edited to add: this is correct, the first condition to forming the playoffs is form a path with four teams from the same league. 

Edited by Lion Rampant

6 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

I think that the idea is for teams to remain within their league as much as possible. I may be wrong but I think that with 4 teams that were in league B needing a playoff, then they will keep them together 

Edited to add: this is correct, the first condition to forming the playoffs is form a path with four teams from the same league. 

You are correct.

Sorry about that - I'm a complete hypocrite there, as one of my pet hates is people posting incorrect information on here!

28 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

Iceland's BBC has their headline as ''Iceland will meet Romania or Hungary''

https://www.ruv.is/frett/island-maetir-rumeniu-eda-ungverjalandi-i-mars

13 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

UEFA'S website doesn't say that, it just says one of the 4 will be drawn to play us then the remaining teams will go into the League A playoffs 

Likewise. No idea where they are getting that from; but noticed their other paper has them weighing up potential key Romanian/Hungarian players! I don't understand and I've not seen anything on UEFA's site.

Thought I had got my head round most of this, but still don’t get how Israel, who just finished second bottom in their group, managed to get in the playoffs.

Also,  am I right in thinking if it was the old format off the 8 best third placed teams, we would of qualified for the playoffs?