Euro 2020 Playoffs (The REAL poll) - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2020 Playoffs (The REAL poll)

The_Dark_Knight

Where will we finish in the Euro 2020 playoffs?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. What will our fates be in the Euro 2020 Playoffs?

• Winner of the final
    • Runner up in the final
    • Semi-final loser

I might be on my own but I'm not concerned who we get. If theh have to go through the back door playoff like us they wont be that good or scary, they'll be there for the same reason as us, they weren't good enough to get through their group.

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I might be on my own but I'm not concerned who we get. If theh have to go through the back door playoff like us they wont be that good or scary, they'll be there for the same reason as us, they weren't good enough to get through their group.

You’re not on your own with this. 

What is far more important in my view is whether we get a home draw in the final if we can win the first match. 

A couple of months ago I would’ve said I would prefer to play Norway over Serbia, particularly away from home, but Serbia don’t look that good at the moment and Norway had a good result against Spain. 

Like you say, regardless of who we play they will be similar to us in terms of quality. Home advantage will be huge in my opinion. 

10 minutes ago, teecee- said:

A draw is made to decide who joins Scotland, Norway and Serbia to complete group C.

One of Israel, Romania and Bulgaria will play Scotland with the remaining two going into group A draw.

You are correct - https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefaorg/Regulations/02/54/36/05/2543605_DOWNLOAD.pdf

"16.03 The UEFA administration conducts a draw to allocate teams to the different playoffs path, starting with UEFA Nations League D, subject to the following conditions: a. A group winner cannot form a path with a team from a higher-ranked league in the overall UEFA Nations League rankings.":

Bummer 

4 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

(Third attempt at this. Hopefully it's done right this time )

I haven't done much research on the playoffs, as it doesn't interest me in the slightest. It's a distraction. Instead of building for the next World Cup qualifiers, we're stopping it to focus on the playoffs for Euro 2020.

In the semi-final we'll either get Bulgaria, Israel and Romania. The final will be Noway or Serbia.

Currently we have no keeper, no right back, no center backs, no anchorman, no striker, etc, and yet people seem to think that we'll qualify.

If it doesn't interest you, why fucking bother starting a thread?

A lot depends on the draw and home advantage.

I'd think/hope we could get by Bulgaria and Israel ; not sure about Romania who seem currently the best of the three.

A final away in Oslo or Belgrade is going to be very, very difficult. A final at Hampden against either of those will be difficult too. Sadly, think we'll end up out in the final - if going by gut reaction just now ; but we'll see how next Friday's draw goes.

Looking at the form guide of the potential nations :

Romania - have only lost 4 games in 2 years. Netherlands in 2017 ; unbeaten in 2018 ; Sweden x 2 and Spain in 2019. A difficult task.

Israel - started qualifying well ; but way off the boil now. Lost 4 of their last 6 matches.

Bulgaria - are about to win their first game of the year! Up til today (no idea how strong the Czech side is) They had not won since October 2018.

Hungary - we can get them? A bit all over the place. Were geniunely exciting to watch at the Euro 16 then backed it up by a honking WC qualifying campaign. They have pretty much a winner take all game against Wales on Tuesday in Cardiff - to get to the finals outright!

Serbia - a very good squad and in good form. Scelped by Ukraine away 5-0 and at hame to Portugal 4-2 this year. Although churning out the 1-0, 2-1 wins over the likes of Luxembourg, Lithuania.

Norway - the form side. Lost 1 game throughout the whole of 2018 (1-0 to Bulgaria) and 1 game in 2019 (2-1 to Spain, away). They have drawn a lot too ; so it's not all wins, but with a good, solid coach they'll be a tough, tough ask.

Just got to hope Serbia and Norway have a fierce match full of red cards and knocks(not too long, but a few players out of their next/potential match up against us).

Looking at the potential options in C. B almost looks an easier playoff route and so does A (Iceland at present).

Going to be an ask, but if we get the potential home final, then why not!

8 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

I genuinely don't think many on here believe we will qualify,

45.16% think we will.

The voters have been made public. So, if you want to know who voted for which option, click on it.

I'll bump this thread in May (or is it March?) and have a wee chuckle at the people who thought we'd qualify. :P

We have our best chance in who knows how long, the banana skin really is not playing the same team over two legs, although this is good for the type of game we will see - playing to win but two legs you can be strategic and shut up shop - assuming one had a competent defence. Our defence is likely the worse out of all all league C teams. Our players are well aware of the importance of next March and you can guarantee they will be up for it, form will go out the window and desire will take over. 

Really surprised at how many people expect us to be successful here.

Must admit that I slightly misunderstood the format - I thought that we were now guaranteed to be at home to Bulgaria, but it turns out that it could end up being Hungary, Israel or Romania instead.

I’d hope we could compete with Bulgaria and Israel, but I’m not sure why people would think we would get past the likes of Serbia, Norway, Hungary and Romania? I’d assume that those teams are a good deal better than we are. As mentioned elsewhere, our defence and attack are at a very low level just now. Our midfield is reasonably strong as per usual.

I don’t think that we can seriously compete with a team like Serbia, when we are lining up with players from the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts, Kilmarnock, Motherwell and Dundee Utd. Way below the level required to reach a European Championships unfortunately.

10 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

l.

I don’t think that we can seriously compete with a team like Serbia, when we are lining up with players from the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts, Kilmarnock, Motherwell and Dundee Utd. Way below the level required to reach a European Championships unfortunately.

If our best players turn up I cant see us having any more than one from those teams, If I was picking the team I wouldn't even need to pick a central defender from that lot

6 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I am looking at the current play off spots, and there seems to me a real possibility that Norway and even Serbia get called up to the league B play off.  Wales have a win to qualify game v Hungary, the likes of Romania and maybe Greece very well end up in our play off. The saving grace for us is we are the top seed in league C so we sit tight whilst everyone else gets called up to fill vacant spots above us.  League A looks like they need three teams from League B and then League B might need as many as top spots from C. 

Let me go out on a limb here and make a stab at this. 

League A play offs

Iceland, Slovakia, Denmark or Rep of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

League B

Bonsia & H, Norway, Serbia and Bulgaria

League C

SCOTLAND, Israel, Hungary, Romania

FFS how many times do some folk need to be told how things work?

9 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

Really surprised at how many people expect us to be successful here.

Must admit that I slightly misunderstood the format - I thought that we were now guaranteed to be at home to Bulgaria, but it turns out that it could end up being Hungary, Israel or Romania instead.

I’d hope we could compete with Bulgaria and Israel, but I’m not sure why people would think we would get past the likes of Serbia, Norway, Hungary and Romania? I’d assume that those teams are a good deal better than we are. As mentioned elsewhere, our defence and attack are at a very low level just now. Our midfield is reasonably strong as per usual.

I’ve researched this a bit further, and the gap between our level and Serbia’s level is more vast and frightening than I previously thought!

The 14 players who got on the pitch for Serbia during today’s game play for the following clubs:

Crystal Palace; Sevilla, Getafe; Napoli, Roma, Lazio, Fiorentina; Eintracht Frankfurt; Marseille, Reims; Ajax; Red Star Belgrade; Besiktas; Fulham.

Now, whilst not quite in the A-league of world football, that’s a very strong set of players from the B-league of world football, if you know what I mean. Those are nearly all teams from the Champions League or top halves of the biggest leagues in the world.

Our midfield is slightly below that level, but close enough to perhaps be competitive. Our defence and attack however, even with all players available, and obviously excluding our left-backs, are nowhere near that level. I don’t think non-Old Firm SPL players and English Championship players are at a high enough level to compete with players from the teams mentioned above.

Yes, in a one-off match we could edge/fluke it, but percentage-wise, it’s probably at least 75/25 in favour of Serbia.

I’m confused as to why people on here are predicting that we will progress ahead of Serbia?

16 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

If our best players turn up I cant see us having any more than one from those teams, If I was picking the team I wouldn't even need to pick a central defender from that lot

Other than left-back where we have yet another ‘embarrassment of riches’ scenario, I think that our whole defence is of English Championship/non-Old Firm SPL level, isn’t it? Or am I forgetting anyone obvious?

19 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

FFS how many times do some folk need to be told how things work?

Haha, I know. It’s really not that difficult.

If you can’t understand it, you shouldn’t be allowed to take part in the discussion. Or the supporting of the team!

5 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

Other than left-back where we have yet another ‘embarrassment of riches’ scenario, I think that our whole defence is of English Championship/non-Old Firm SPL level, isn’t it? Or am I forgetting anyone obvious?

It was just the SPL teams you mentioned. Iv'e got Teirney and Cooper well ahead of them. Probably Hanley too and even Liam Lindsay

Even Aberdeen fans don't think much of McKenna these days and he showed on Saturday he is no better than he was three years ago. He is coming back from injury so he might still make my fantasy starting eleven

10 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

It was just the SPL teams you mentioned. Iv'e got Teirney and Cooper well ahead of them. Probably Hanley too and even Liam Lindsay

Even Aberdeen fans don't think much of McKenna these days and he showed on Saturday he is no better than he was three years ago. He is coming back from injury so he might still make my fantasy starting eleven

Yeah, I was just picking examples from recent matches, when mentioning those teams.

Hanley and Cooper would probably be playing at a slightly higher level than our (non-Old Firm) Scottish players, but still way below the level of Serbia’s players, which was the point I was making!

1 hour ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

45.16% think we will.

The voters have been made public. So, if you want to know who voted for which option, click on it.

I'll bump this thread in May (or is it March?) and have a wee chuckle at the people who thought we'd qualify. :P

I am genuinely surprised. I figured option 2 would far outweigh option 1 on here. Good on your for procuring cold hard data! 

2 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I am genuinely surprised. I figured option 2 would far outweigh option 1 on here. Good on your for procuring cold hard data! 

I think that it shows how deluded/biased some of our fans are, and the unrealistic expectations that some of them have!

1 hour ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

45.16% think we will.

Also interesting to see who voted for what. Wasn't too hard to guess who the people who voted for option 3 were haha, but I'm a little surprised by some of the names who are being so optimistic about our chance of qualifying. Let's hope they are right! 

1 minute ago, mrniaboc said:

I'm not surprised, to be honest. I knew a fair chunk of people would vote that we'd qualify... Didn't know that it was would so much, though. 

86.48% think we'll be in the final.

Cripes...

21 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

I think that it shows how deluded/biased some of our fans are, and the unrealistic expectations that some of them have!

A day or so ago I was lambasted/mocked for not watching the SPL. Some people truly do think that the SPL is the zenith of football.

They watch McGregor, Christie, Forrest, etc, tear SPL teams to shreds and it clouds their judgment.