Oliver McBurnie - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oliver McBurnie

weekevie04

31 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

What I have seen if him so far, I would not play him from the start. Maybe a handy sub if we end up chasing a game. Sadly we do not have a first choice striker at the moment and I am beginning to doubt if Griffith's will ever be back.

Sneaky apostrophe in the name of Leigh Griffiths now?

McBurnie was stunningly bad when he came on against Cyprus. 

Despite being a sub in the second half, he seemed to tire quickly. I know his running style is naturally languid, but even taking that into account he seemed sapped of energy very quickly indeed. 

His hold up was poor in all but one or two moments, his passing was rotten, he was hesitant when he had a chance to bear down on goal and then played the ball well behind Burke when it should have been relatively simple to put it on a plate for him. 

Indeed, had he been anything close to sharp he might well have snapped up a gift when the Cypriot keeper decked it under no pressure with the ball at his feet. 

A truly honkin performance. 

16 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Griffiths came on after 68 minutes against Livingston

McBurnie came on after 68 minutes against Man Utd and scored.

You really are a walloper.

The difference being one of those players has ability and is a proven goalscorer for Scotland.

McBurnie will be retired from Scotland duty to focus on his club career before he’s out of his mid 20s.

You’re an absolute zoomer with your stats 😂

35 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I don't get the hate for Mcburnie.

Hopefully he gets a few goals this season and gives us another forward option - we need as many as we can get. 

There's no hate, he's just not a very good footballer. He looks like he's never seen a football sometimes. I would have naismith or Griffith's over him anyday.

16 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

There's no hate, he's just not a very good footballer. He looks like he's never seen a football sometimes. I would have naismith or Griffith's over him anyday.

He's obviously got something. You don't score all those goals otherwise.

Naismith can't have long left at this level and Griffiths has a long way to go to getting to where he was. 

I think McBurnie will come good for us. Scoring in the EPL can only help him adjust to international football. 

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

The difference being one of those players has ability and is a proven goalscorer for Scotland.

McBurnie will be retired from Scotland duty to focus on his club career before he’s out of his mid 20s.

You’re an absolute zoomer with your stats 😂

I wouldn't call 4 in 19 exactly a proven goalscorer. I mean 2 of those were fantastic freekicks against England, but 2 goals from open play in 19 appearances doesn't exactly scream proven goalscorer for Scotland.

5 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I wouldn't call 4 in 19 exactly a proven goalscorer. I mean 2 of those were fantastic freekicks against England, but 2 goals from open play in 19 appearances doesn't exactly scream proven goalscorer for Scotland.

In Scotland terms it’s pretty good considering the lack of goals in the squad.

McBurnie must have close to 10 caps now and apart from hitting the post once I can’t remember him being a threat in the final third at all! 

41 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

In Scotland terms it’s pretty good considering the lack of goals in the squad.

McBurnie must have close to 10 caps now and apart from hitting the post once I can’t remember him being a threat in the final third at all! 

Mcburnie will score goals with service. We just don’t currently play a style that will suit him and he looks crap because of it.

Good squad player at the moment but nothing more.

9 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I don't get the hate for Mcburnie.

Hopefully he gets a few goals this season and gives us another forward option - we need as many as we can get. 

Watch his performance against Cyprus away. 

Incompetent. Lazy. Ineffective. 

We don't have the options to not include him in the squad, I suppose, but the difference in the game when we had Naismith Vs when we had McBurnie was startling. 

The link up, hold up, the winning of freekicks, getting us up the park and gaining territory, interlocking with the attacking midfielders, that all gave way. Anytime Mcburnie was passed the ball, his first touch was woeful and he either lost possession or, in once case, put it right out for a throw in off his own foot. A simple pass. 

He won nothing in the air, despite his height, and committed fouls rather than win free-kicks. He ended up getting a chance for a one on one charge at the goal but hesitated, struggled to get the ball out his feet again and then, when Burke raced through to supply him an option because it was clear Mcburnie was not going to try running past anyone, the pass was played behind. An abject attempt. 

He also looked absolutely knackered, despite being a second half sub who didn't seem to do much running. Ryan Jack wisely started playing passes to Palmer rather than waste the ball by trying to give it to McBurnie. 

I dearly hope the guy comes good and think he deserves some credit for our goal against Russia; that's who Fraser is trying to get it to and it's his attempt to slide in on the ball that puts the keeper off. That, however, is the only positive contribution he has made in all of his appearances so far. But the less than enthusiastic view of the guy comes from his performances. He has been dreadful for us and they difference in our side after he came on in Cyprus underlined it for me. 

If we are chasing the game and need to lump set plays and long balls into the box, though, we can always stick him on towards the end and hope he does what he did yesterday. 

12 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

He's easily good enough to be in the squad....if he wants to which is another debate.

He could score 10 goals at premier league level which wouldn't be too bad for his first season especially as he isn't first choice.

10 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Yes for a long time Griff had Miller itis upfront for Scotland, some fantastic work rate and all round game but just couldn't get the ball in the net. Can stil remember that Slovenia game in March 2017 when he hit a shot that hit one post rolled across the goalline and then hit the other post. His next match was England which then changed the perception for him...

Ultimately he's had lots going in in last 18 months. Hopefully he's over that but who knows if he can get back to the level he was showing in 2017. Big ask for him to be as sharp as that in March imo.

Edited by Tartan Chris

3 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Yes for a long time Griff had Miller itis upfront for Scotland, some fantastic work rate and all round game but just couldn't get the ball in the net. Can stil remember that Slovenia game in March 2017 when he hit a shot that hit one post rolled across the goalline and then hit the other post. His next match was England which then changed the perception for him...

Ultimately he's had lots going in in last 18 months. Hopefully he's over that but who knows if he can get back to the level he was showing in 2017. Big ask for him to be as sharp as that in March imo.

Not to mention the two yard open goal effort he put onto the bar that same game. 

Felt it was never going to happen for the guy. Then came the england match.

46 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

He's easily good enough to be in the squad....if he wants to which is another debate.

He could score 10 goals at premier league level which wouldn't be too bad for his first season especially as he isn't first choice.

Yeh he's good enough for the squad but he's been so poor in any match I have watched that I wouldn't want him to start for us. We have looked so much better with Naismith and Griffith's upfront.

4 hours ago, gonzohiggy said:

Mcburnie will score goals with service. We just don’t currently play a style that will suit him and he looks crap because of it.

Good squad player at the moment but nothing more.

He's looked like he's never played football before. No matter what style we play a player should be able to control a ball and make a simple pass. I have watched alot of mcburnie over the last few years and he's been utter garbage anytime I have watched him.

16 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

He's looked like he's never played football before. No matter what style we play a player should be able to control a ball and make a simple pass. I have watched alot of mcburnie over the last few years and he's been utter garbage anytime I have watched him.

I agree he looks awkward and uncoordinated. I really don’t particularly like 95% of his game but put the ball in the box and he’ll score goals. Last 20 chasing a game, he’ll be useful.