Playoffs - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Playoffs

albathebrave

25 minutes ago, bleedsdarkblueblood63 said:

SC will play the final the way he played against your Rangers, Celtics, and Aberdeen’s when he was boss of Killie. He will counter attack them. Better to be in it. But let’s get Israel out the way. But for a wonder save against them by magreggor we would be out.  Israel first. 

If McGregor hadn't saved that we might have been playing in the League A playoff path.

9 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

If McGregor hadn't saved that we might have been playing in the League A playoff path.

We might have qualified automatically because McLeish would have been out with we played Kazakhstan. I'm happy to back a campaign blaming McGregor. 

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

Those saying SHOULD we reach the final we have no chance well just recently Norway and Serbia have struggled to beat lesser teams than us:-

Serbia 3 Luxembourg 2

Lithuania 0 Serbia 1

Malta 1 Norway 2

They did beat them though and 2 of those 3 matches were away but I see your point. Neither team could be considered an elite European team that we would have no chance against.

I don't think Norway or Serbia are unbeatable (by Scotland) at home. If we play well and get a bit of luck we have a chance.

The semis could also be important in terms of how they play out. If we beat Israel at a canter and Norway and Serbia goes to penalties we should be a lot fresher for the final.

We just have the small matter of getting past Israel first.

Before the Nations League started, If we were offered the chance of qualifying by beating Israel at home and Norway/Serbia away in our last 2 games of a campaign I think most of us would've taken it.

At least we have a chance, which is more than we can normally say at this stage.

Just now, tattiescone69 said:

Wonder how the SSC will get tickets out to us for the final if we make it

Especially if Serbia and Norway offer a different amount of tickets.

Imagine, for example, Norway offer 4,000 and Serbia offer 2,000 away tickets...could be a nightmare.  

10 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

We might have qualified automatically because McLeish would have been out with we played Kazakhstan. I'm happy to back a campaign blaming McGregor. 

I highly doubt we'd have got the better of Russia over two games even if we had beaten Kazakhstan but we'll never know I suppose.

5 minutes ago, hamilton wanderer said:

where in germany

Edinburgh to Hamburg (which brings in a number of close by airports within 2 hours or so as alternatives for onward flights) and back from Munich (as the flight is at 10pm, so gives me ALL DAY to find a route from Belgrade or Oslo).... and worst case if we do not make final, a few days in Germany to drown my sorrows

Edited by wanderer

Great chance to get through to the final, although it is far from a certainty as Israel have proved against us that they are no mugs. Would like to think we have improved since them though. One game at a time but really forward to the semi. Hope Clarke gets all the support he needs/wants.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50516519

Clarke described the prospect of facing Israel in March as "a hugely exciting challenge for us with a massive reward".

"The players know Israel well having faced them in the Nations League," he added. "It was a tough match over there but we showed our capabilities with a good win at Hampden last year.

"This is the time to believe. We have three wins in a row and the benefit of momentum. We want to be active participants at EURO 2020, not just hosts, and we will give our all in what I believe will be two games."

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol all this talk of the final is daft, let's get past Israel first. We are quite capable of fucking up that game.

Absolutely we are. People have short memories. Aye, we beat them at Hampden but it was as nervy as fuck and we needed a masterclass from Alan McGregor to do it.

They're a known quantity, though, unlike the other teams we could have got, but the same applies in reverse.

2 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Israel, we have a decent chance. Serbia away? Well, considering we got our arses handed to us away to Russia and Kazakhstan and couldn't beat Israel away, I'm not too confident

Me neither. We are a bit better than we were when we got beat by Israel and Khazakstan, and we did horse Albania in the Nations League, but we only won two games away from home in the qualifiers (and one of them by a single goal) and the only team not to score against us was San Marino.

At least if we don't qualify we'll avoid the potential ignominy of being gubbed by England at Wembley. "Captain Kane" and Raheem Sterling could run up a cricket score against our defence if they were in the mood for it.

Don't wont to be negative but this is as bad as it gets.. Think we could have beaten any of the semi teams but Belgrade or Oslo for the final is beyond tough. we will need an outstanding performance to get through this.

I had optimistically thought that UEFA would have kept a host country at home but not to be.

Anyway not to worry until February /March and in the meantime have a great Christmas.

4 hours ago, hamilton wanderer said:

Israel and home final for me too.

As nice as a trip to Oslo would be it's just more important to get there.

I got an email from Scottish rugby yesterday (don't know why I'm on their list) saying that tickets were going on sale at 10 am for Scotland v France next March. I got another one later on to say that it was a 67,000 sell out!

Start selling the tickets next week I would suggest.

There is not a snowball in hell’s chance that the SFA will put tickets on sale prior to  the SSC renewal period. Not a chance.

11 minutes ago, p gala ta said:

Don't fancy our chances if the final is in Belgrade but optimistic if it's in Norway .

Didnt find the stadium in Oslo to be very intimidating last time we were there, even if we did get gubbed.

This! Really hoping for a Norway win as less intimidating for a one off final. we will crack in Belgrade or wherever.