Playoffs - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Playoffs

albathebrave

12 hours ago, dohadeer said:

I don't think that's correct. I'm not sure that Northern Ireland are guaranteed to be in the same playoff path as Bosnia, I think there would be a draw to determine whether they were in the same path or not.

I think you are right. Draw to see who stays in path B and who goes up to path A. Path A might actually be easier than Path B. 

31 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I think you are right. Draw to see who stays in path B and who goes up to path A. Path A might actually be easier than Path B. 

The whole thing is a bit mind boggling.

All will become clear on Friday though. I hope.

Instead of doing draws they should just have used the rankings within the Nations League to populate the playoffs, keeping as many of the league groupings together as possible.

Doing it this way would mean that we would have gotten Bulgaria and assuming Wales beat Hungary tonight then the remaining Playoffs would be;

League B

Bosnia, Slovakia, ROI and NI

League A

Iceland, Israel, Hungary and Romania.

1 hour ago, Lion Rampant said:

Instead of doing draws they should just have used the rankings within the Nations League to populate the playoffs, keeping as many of the league groupings together as possible.

Doing it this way would mean that we would have gotten Bulgaria and assuming Wales beat Hungary tonight then the remaining Playoffs would be;

League B

Bosnia, Slovakia, ROI and NI

League A

Iceland, Israel, Hungary and Romania.

I'm sure that that is how they originally said they were going to do it. I think I read that somewhere on the UEFA website. I am convinced that they changed it half way through. Can't find any evidence for that now though. So, maybe I just dreamt it?

7 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I'm sure that that is how they originally said they were going to do it. I think I read that somewhere on the UEFA website. I am convinced that they changed it half way through. Can't find any evidence for that now though. So, maybe I just dreamt it?

That was my recollection too, but I think they are just making it up as they go along.

The NL rankings were used to place the group winners, so why not just extend this to sort out the playoffs?

Edited by Lion Rampant

23 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

That was my recollection too, but I think they are just making it up as they go along.

The NL rankings were used to place the group winners, so why not just extend this to sort out the playoffs?

They do have a rule in there somewhere, which says something like "UEFA can change whatever the fuk they want at whatever fukin time they want if UEFA think the circumstances merit that change".

It might not be worded exactly like that but it gives them a fair bit of scope. :lol:

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

You never dreamt it.  This was the way it was going to be until the "UEFA reserve the right to change anything they like whenever they like to suit" clause was invoked.

The idea was to fill the playoffs from D to A using the NL rankings (adjusted to allow for our 3-team group) which of course we were ranked 1st.  By the time they got to C if any C teams qualified directly then it would be a case of filling up the spaces from League C teams ranked below 4th as they come up and the same then for B and A but in order of NL ranking - and if there weren't enough A teams not qualified then B sides would step up, and similarly if there were not enough B teams left who had not qualified then C teams in theory could step up into the B or even A path.  The only other rule being that a NL group winner could never play a team from a higher path ie they could not be moved up and a higher path team could not be moved down unless all group winners qualified direct.

This is why I can't figure out why Israel/Bulgaria would be drawn to see who went into A or C, as Bulgaria finished ranked higher than Israel they should be given the "easier" path C and Israel put into the "harder" path which is what was originally supposed to happen.

I am not saying there is anything untoward going on, I just don't think UEFA thought it through very well.

Edited by DaveyDenoon

On 11/18/2019 at 5:21 PM, dohadeer said:

I don't think that's correct. I'm not sure that Northern Ireland are guaranteed to be in the same playoff path as Bosnia, I think there would be a draw to determine whether they were in the same path or not.

Sorry bud but I was exactly right. The Path B semi-finals are:

Bosnia v Northern Ireland 

and

Slovakia v Rep Ireland 

Difficult to see them both winning away from home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying_play-offs#Teams_selected

3 minutes ago, magicTs said:

Sorry bud but I was exactly right. The Path B semi-finals are:

Bosnia v Northern Ireland 

and

Slovakia v Rep Ireland 

Difficult to see them both winning away from home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying_play-offs#Teams_selected

Yeah, sorry, I totally misunderstood the playoff path selection process, with regards to the situation in League B.

Israel finish 2nd bottom of their group, they finish below us in the nations league.......erm how did they get a playoff spot?

Are uefa just inviting everyone?

Edited by vanderark14

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Israel finish 2nd bottom of their group, they finish below us in the nations league.......erm how did they get a playoff spot?

Are uefa just inviting everyone?

Because the Nations League were the mechanism used to qualify for the playoffs. Every team above them in the nations league either qualified directly or already has a playoff so they get one by being the next in line. 

1 minute ago, Lion Rampant said:

Because the Nations League were the mechanism used to qualify for the playoffs. Every team above them in the nations league either qualified directly or already has a playoff so they get one by being the next in line. 

Thanks for explaining 👍🏼

19 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I’m confused why we’re not playing Bulgaria, and why the League A playoffs aren’t Iceland v Romania and Israel v Hungary?

Why is there a draw?

Because UEFA say there will be a draw. It's all in the rules but they can just make up the rules as they go along.

7 minutes ago, Davied14 said:

I bet that we get either Hungary or Romania in the draw, and the winner of that tie will host the final. 

I'm hoping you are wrong. Just this once I have a wee feeling that football corruption will work in our favour. I'm hoping they keep the host nations apart but I can see where you are coming from. With your scenario they make sure that one host nation has to be in the final. It might come down to the size of the broon envelopes. I would think Israel would have the potential to have the biggest broon envelope so they should get easiest draw i.e. Scotland.

Wonder if whoever draws Bulgaria will have a mark against their name for hosting the final? With the recent events in Sofia, you can not imagine UEFA are thrilled at the thought that Bulgaria could potentially host a play off final in a empty stadium in Sofia.

5 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

This seems so confusing & convoluted, does anyone reckon this format will ever be repeated??

If its successful with the sponsors and TV yes it will be repeated

4 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

This seems so confusing & convoluted, does anyone reckon this format will ever be repeated??

It only seems confusing because you haven't bothered to read how it works. If you read the UEFA website and watch the videos, it's all pretty straight forward. Until they change the rules and then you have to read it again.

7 minutes ago, ironbrew said:

Apparently there could be another draw after the playoffs but not sure under what circumstances. To make sure hosts are in their proper groups i suppose.

That's the draw for the final tournament you are talking about. This draw on Friday is just for the play offs.