John McGinn - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

John McGinn

The_Dark_Knight

15 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

It’s obvious McGinn is passionate about playing for Scotland because he always turns up and tries his best. 

Easy for me to say being a 40 something lazy bastard but I would never pull out of a Scotland squad if I was a footballer and good enough to play for Scotland.

I once flew from Fort Worth to Glasgow (via New York and Manchester) and back again in a little over 24 hours to watch us play Germany at Hampden. Not suggesting I’m any better than any other supporter but if all the players were as passionate as McGinn and most supporters we might just get somewhere. 

Every level McGinn goes to, he seems to massively improve as a player. I thought he could handle himself in the Premiership, but I never thought he'd be a top performer week in-and-out and talked about for 50 million pound moves to Man Utd. 

He has an absolutely tremendous attitude and will to improve. 

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

It's really great to see this thread after all the shit McGinn took on here for making a couple of poor passing decisions against the world's best team just a few months ago. People not selecting him in their starting lineups because he is a "bomb scare" who gives the ball away too much 😂😂😂

He's brilliant. 

Knew he was destined for the top when as a 17 year old he absolutely ragdolled Wanyama in the League Cup semi-final against Celtic. One of the legends of 2013.

Family hails a stones throw from where I live now. He appeared in my local with his mum a week after Villa were promoted (he was en route to Mar Hall to report for Scotland duty and was making sure his uncle got home ok). Very down to earth lad. 

For those reasons, huge fan. Mark my words, he won't be at Villa much longer if he continues with this form

He should be our captain in my eyes. The first thing you expect from a captain is to turn up and play and be willing to run through a brick wall for team or country, that sadly is not the case with Robertson. I have it on good authority that Robertson isn't fully committed. Something along the lines of 'he hates it, can't be bothered with all the captain stuff". Apologies, I'm not trying to take away from the OP and I can assure you I I don't post unverified nonsense or try to pretend I'm in the know when I'm not. It's just what I've heard second hand from a very trusted friend.

Guest ElChris04

McGinn, Christie, McTominay, Forrest, McGregor. 

there’s the players who really care, turn up and play without fuss and passion and speak to the press regularly about how much they love playing for there country. That’s the core of the team we should be building round. 

9 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

McGinn, Christie, McTominay, Forrest, McGregor. 

there’s the players who really care, turn up and play without fuss and passion and speak to the press regularly about how much they love playing for there country. That’s the core of the team we should be building round. 

Agreed.

I would add Robertson, though. To be fair to him, he did turn up to wish the players luck against Cyprus.

Guest ElChris04
3 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Agreed.

I would add Robertson, though. To be fair to him, he did turn up to wish the players luck against Cyprus.

Aye throw Robbo in then Aswell, it’s a shame. Hopefully players that don’t seem To change there attitudes to be like the names mentioned for the playoffs and we may very well get somewhere mate. 

Just now, ElChris04 said:

Aye throw Robbo in then Aswell, it’s a shame. Hopefully players that don’t seem To change there attitudes to be like the names mentioned for the playoffs and we may very well get somewhere mate. 

Phew! Thank you very much. ;)

Yeah. Here's hoping. Sometimes dedication and effort can bridge gaps. :)

4 hours ago, dezmondo said:

I have it on good authority that Robertson isn't fully committed. Something along the lines of 'he hates it, can't be bothered with all the captain stuff"

Tbh, if it's just the responsibility of being Captain he can't be bothered with, I'm not going to have a go at him for that. Some just want to play and I get that

7 hours ago, dezmondo said:

He should be our captain in my eyes. The first thing you expect from a captain is to turn up and play and be willing to run through a brick wall for team or country, that sadly is not the case with Robertson. I have it on good authority that Robertson isn't fully committed. Something along the lines of 'he hates it, can't be bothered with all the captain stuff". Apologies, I'm not trying to take away from the OP and I can assure you I I don't post unverified nonsense or try to pretend I'm in the know when I'm not. It's just what I've heard second hand from a very trusted friend.

That's pretty massive news if true.

Fwiw I think he plays better without the captaincy. (Another stroke of mcleish genuis) Naismith  is a fantastic captain, if not him just give it to centre half/midfielder who have more responsibility to lead anyway.

10 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Tbh, if it's just the responsibility of being Captain he can't be bothered with, I'm not going to have a go at him for that. Some just want to play and I get that

I think when McLeish took over as manager there was no obvious candidate for captain and so he took the approach of going for the best player in the squad, someone who was guaranteed to start every game - and there weren't many of those at the time.

Problem is, if Robertson would genuinely rather not be captain - and that's fair enough - then it'll no doubt be portrayed as some sort of fallout between him and Clarke. 

11 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

He's a really nice guy and keeps getting better as a player. His next move will be interesting but my understanding is he's in no rush to leave Villa. 

I got his shirt from the San Marino away match as a wedding present. 

Congratulations on your marriage Mick! 

15 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

He's a really nice guy and keeps getting better as a player. His next move will be interesting but my understanding is he's in no rush to leave Villa. 

He's signed an improved contract and has just bought a house.  Never say never but his future seems to be at Villa for the foreseeable. 

• 2 weeks later...