Today’s starting XI - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Today’s starting XI

Rscot

2 minutes ago, gonzohiggy said:

You compared the two centre halves to blind, drunk men. 

That's not an opinion, that's just nonsense. 

Nope its still an opinion, it's just one you dont agree with. Dont be so precious about people disagreeing with you.

Declan Gallagher.. Aside from the moment he had his arms wrapped round the Cyprus centre forward inside the box which usually is a penalty in internationals, I felt more comfortable watching him at centre half than I have anyone else in the last year or so. He seems to deal well with any balls in the box, even dealt quite well with the ball in for their goal, was a very awkward position but managed to get his head on it, just unlucky it landed right in a Cypriot foot and even u luckier he scored a worldy. He definitely looked more assured than McKenna did who looked shaky at times. To me McKenna doesn't seem to believe in himself yet. He has even been quoted as such before almost as if he's pinching himself he's somehow made it this far. He has the natural qualities to be a good centre half but needs the belief

1 minute ago, bazmidd said:

Declan Gallagher.. Aside from the moment he had his arms wrapped round the Cyprus centre forward inside the box which usually is a penalty in internationals, I felt more comfortable watching him at centre half than I have anyone else in the last year or so. He seems to deal well with any balls in the box, even dealt quite well with the ball in for their goal, was a very awkward position but managed to get his head on it, just unlucky it landed right in a Cypriot foot and even u luckier he scored a worldy. He definitely looked more assured than McKenna did who looked shaky at times. To me McKenna doesn't seem to believe in himself yet. He has even been quoted as such before almost as if he's pinching himself he's somehow made it this far. He has the natural qualities to be a good centre half but needs the belief

Last week He was talking about january suitors and his transfer request, that tells me he has plenty of belief. 

20 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Nah, i lay the blame for that goal with McKenna. He took a shite touch, resulting in his 2nd being a tackle. They scored from the resulting free kick.

Ach, that was clearly a joke 

They were both at fault

McKenna for commiting the foul

Gallagher should have glanced the header, rather than sending into the danger area

1 minute ago, Bino's said:

They were both at fault

McKenna for commiting the foul

Gallagher should have glanced the header, rather than sending into the danger area

He did glance it. Just ended up on the laces of the attacker.

His priority in that challenge had to be getting his head to the ball before the Cypriot attacker. It was exceptionally difficult for him to direct it away from all danger.

53 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Agree re Gallagher. Looked very composed and comfortable.

Just now, gonzohiggy said:

His priority in that challenge had to be getting his head to the ball before the Cypriot attacker. It was exceptionally difficult for him to direct it away from all danger.

Glanced would have been out for a corner or a throw

He pumped it back out into the mix and the guy thrashed it in

Might be harsh, but it's international football

19 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Glanced would have been out for a corner or a throw

He pumped it back out into the mix and the guy thrashed it in

Might be harsh, but it's international football

That’s an unbelievably harsh way to look at it.

Watch it back, he’s under huge pressure from the number 10 and does really well just to win the header. To criticise him for where that header goes is harsh

Ultimately have to be pleased with the win but it was an unspectacular performance.

Palmer and Taylor both played relatively well all things considered. Where I felt we were shaky was at centre half. Neither covered themselves in glory and both looked uncomfortable with each other. To me, they are too similar in terms of attributes. Gallagher isn't an international quality player. McKenna might be but he sorely needs to leave Aberdeen and push on to a bigger club, playing alongside a more experienced partner.

In midfield, McGinn is really making himself undroppable and Christie also is making himself undroppable with his contributions. Jack was more like his Aberdeen self than his Rangers self - did quietly ugly work but didn't protect the centre halves anywhere near well enough. McGregor was pretty anonymous again, playing too many games has taken its toll.

Positively we dug deep after a setback and that is a positive given where we have been several times in adversity in this campaign. A win against Kazakhstan and things will be more positive heading into the vital, vital March game(s)

On 17 November 2019 at 9:03 PM, gonzohiggy said:

He could've put it out for a corner which would've been a safer option.  If you're going to head the ball back out then you have to get distance on it, which he failed to do.  There should've been pressure on the Cypriot who shot but it was a poor defensive header. 

On 11/17/2019 at 8:10 PM, bazmidd said:

I would say McKenna lacks match fitness, if anything. 

The Cyprus goal (that stood) came from a complete lack of defensive organisation. We had enough men back and they were decently positioned prior to the free kick being taken. As soon as it was taken tho we ran around like headless chickens and didn't mark anyone.

In previous games Clarke's been very stringent with his man marking system at set pieces. Here it seems that was out the window and we just put men back and hoped for the best with no organisation.

I look thru that defensive line and there's no proper organiser, to make up for the lack of direction from the manager. Normally I think Mulgrew would be directing things, but with him out and a back line with barely 20 caps between them, there's no one to actually organise.

Naismith was back, but didn't do it. McGregor was back and didn't do it. Marshall has the best view of anyone and didn't do it either. Having no one in 10 yards of the guy as the ball drops to him in the penalty area is simply embarrassing.

28 minutes ago, aaid said:

He could've put it out for a corner which would've been a safer option.  If you're going to head the ball back out then you have to get distance on it, which he failed to do.  There should've been pressure on the Cypriot who shot but it was a poor defensive header. 

Look at the pressure he’s under ffs. He did well to win the header at all

On 11/17/2019 at 8:13 PM, vanderark14 said:

Last week He was talking about january suitors and his transfer request, that tells me he has plenty of belief. 

Sounded more hopeful he'd get a move tbh. He better hope no one was watching that performance against Cyprus either

11 minutes ago, gonzohiggy said:

Look at the pressure he’s under ffs. He did well to win the header at all

A defender should be the one putting pressure on the forward not the other way round.  The defenders job is to do one of two things, clear the ball or to impede - legally - the frown from attacking the ball.  He failed to do either.  It's actually his positioning that's a bit off, he gets underneath do the ball so that all he can do is head it backwards and because it's coming from behind him, he can't get enough on it so he clears to an unmarked player.  It's not unlucky it's poor positioning . 

19 minutes ago, andyD said:

The Cyprus goal (that stood) came from a complete lack of defensive organisation. We had enough men back and they were decently positioned prior to the free kick being taken. As soon as it was taken tho we ran around like headless chickens and didn't mark anyone.

In previous games Clarke's been very stringent with his man marking system at set pieces. Here it seems that was out the window and we just put men back and hoped for the best with no organisation.

I look thru that defensive line and there's no proper organiser, to make up for the lack of direction from the manager. Normally I think Mulgrew would be directing things, but with him out and a back line with barely 20 caps between them, there's no one to actually organise.

Naismith was back, but didn't do it. McGregor was back and didn't do it. Marshall has the best view of anyone and didn't do it either. Having no one in 10 yards of the guy as the ball drops to him in the penalty area is simply embarrassing.

Mulgrew is also piss poor at organising a defence or commanding his area and opponent at set plays as he has proved on numerous occasions recently. I agree though McKenna just isn't the man to organise us yet either he seems to lack character and a voice on the pitch full stop. I was hopeful Liam Cooper, captain of Leeds could come in and help out with this but unfortunately not available

9 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Mulgrew is also piss poor at organising a defence or commanding his area and opponent at set plays as he has proved on numerous occasions recently. I agree though McKenna just isn't the man to organise us yet either he seems to lack character and a voice on the pitch full stop. I was hopeful Liam Cooper, captain of Leeds could come in and help out with this but unfortunately not available

He's also been awful at doing defensive basics when on international duty, so.. I don't have any desire to see Cooper on the field for us again.

9 minutes ago, andyD said:

He's also been awful at doing defensive basics when on international duty, so.. I don't have any desire to see Cooper on the field for us again.

So probably our best club central defender shouldn't be any were near the team on the basis of your amazing judgement of him based on two caps against Belgium and Russia.

Unless you weren't at the Russia game overall he played as well as any one in defence.

You appear to be some one who doesn't understand defending.

One mistake doesn't make you a bad defender. Hiding makes you a bad defender, Cooper never hides.

He was always available for the ball and his team mates were confident enough in his ability to give it to him.

12 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You appear to be some one who doesn't understand defending.

Evidently I don't. I think that if you repeatedly make basic mistakes which result in goals against you then you probably shouldn't be picked.

The idea that Cooper is our best defender is quite fictional. He's an average championship defender, prone to errors and red mist moments where he'll just kick people up in the air. His positioning is questionable. His awareness is questionable. If we was good he wouldn't have spent his career in the Championship and League Two.

I genuinely laugh at the idea that he's some mythical saviour come to fix our defensive woes.

Is he playing at a higher level than most of our other centerback options? Sure. The Championship is a stronger league than the Scottish Prem. But that isn't the be all and end all. Until this season, Craig Forsyth was playing in the Championship with playoff regulars Derby, while Kieran Tierney was slumming in in the SPrem. That doesn't make Forsyth the better player.

"his team mates were confident enough in his ability to give him the ball" that's pure comedy genius. Best praise of a player i've heard! "he's not so bad that his teammates actively refuse to pass to him!" 10/10!

9 hours ago, aaid said:

A defender should be the one putting pressure on the forward not the other way round.  The defenders job is to do one of two things, clear the ball or to impede - legally - the frown from attacking the ball.  He failed to do either.  It's actually his positioning that's a bit off, he gets underneath do the ball so that all he can do is head it backwards and because it's coming from behind him, he can't get enough on it so he clears to an unmarked player.  It's not unlucky it's poor positioning . 

If the ball is in front of him then yes. But it wasn't it was behind him so that combined with an agressive attacker meant he was under huge pressure just to get something on it. 

I think you are being really harsh on him.