Has 3rd given us a better seeding in wc draw - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Has 3rd given us a better seeding in wc draw

Bonny79

I agree that we were better but I think as we have gotten worse and many other nations have got better - Belgium are now a European power house and Spain have become top tier also to add to Italy, France, England, Germany, Holland and Portugal also, then the mid tier teams has gotten stronger also - its harder than ever in Europe to qualify.  Scotland should leave the UK and become a state of US - then we can qualify through CONCACAF. 

2 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I agree that we were better but I think as we have gotten worse and many other nations have got better - Belgium are now a European power house and Spain have become top tier also to add to Italy, France, England, Germany, Holland and Portugal also, then the mid tier teams has gotten stronger also - its harder than ever in Europe to qualify.  Scotland should leave the UK and become a state of US - then we can qualify through CONCACAF. 

I've said that for some time.   Geologically we're North American.   Just around 60 million years too late 🐌

On 12/6/2019 at 7:34 AM, mccaughey85 said:

Can't see us being able to qualify for the WC unless they decide to increase the teams.

It will be 48 for Canada/US/Mexico but even then Europe still only getting extra 3 or 4 places so same as for euros before 2016.

Realistically if Scotland can't qualify for 24 team euros not going to be making a WC anytime soon unless the group draw is very kind e.g. get drawn with a pot 1 team like Romania who Northern Ireland got for 2016.

On 12/6/2019 at 6:00 PM, romanticscot said:

All the teams breaking up has been an issue I think. Used to be just one Soviet Union team but now you can be in group with Ukraine or Russia which is always tough and of course Georgia also came from that bloc....

Also Yugoslavia and now it can be any of Serbia, Croatia or Macedonia.

Flip side is less places in those days although I'm pretty sure in days of 16 team WC europe got 7-8 places so higher percentage than you actually get now.

Could be wrong of course.

On 12/9/2019 at 9:29 PM, Tartan Chris said:

All the teams breaking up has been an issue I think. Used to be just one Soviet Union team but now you can be in group with Ukraine or Russia which is always tough and of course Georgia also came from that bloc....

Also Yugoslavia and now it can be any of Serbia, Croatia or Macedonia.

Flip side is less places in those days although I'm pretty sure in days of 16 team WC europe got 7-8 places so higher percentage than you actually get now.

Could be wrong of course.

Europe used to get 9 or 10 places when it was a 16 team WC. Those places would include the hosts and previous winners if either were European.

Edited by Orraloon