Has 3rd given us a better seeding in wc draw - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Has 3rd given us a better seeding in wc draw

Bonny79

It's very difficult to qualify for a World cup nowadays I'm afraid. Just group winners go through and then if you do well and get second you're unseeded in the play offs and there's usually tournament teams like Portugal, Croatia and Italy in that.

So yes need to be in pot 3 as a minimum. Interested if any pot 3 team actually made the last World cup from europe, Iceland perhaps?

Then you have to hope you draw the weakest pot 1 team which in the past has been a country like Romania.

Basically it's a very long shot.

More of a chance if you combine the nations league again with world cup qualifying although seems Scotland might be in a harder group this time?

41 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

It's very difficult to qualify for a World cup nowadays I'm afraid. Just group winners go through and then if you do well and get second you're unseeded in the play offs and there's usually tournament teams like Portugal, Croatia and Italy in that.

So yes need to be in pot 3 as a minimum. Interested if any pot 3 team actually made the last World cup from europe, Iceland perhaps?

Then you have to hope you draw the weakest pot 1 team which in the past has been a country like Romania.

More of a chance if you combine the nations league again with world cup qualifying although seems Scotland might be in a harder group this time?

Pretty sure if they do combine it the fact we are in a higher group  will give us a chance of getting a spot that way. There is no way they will allow teams from out side the top two groups to qualify. I would imagine one maybe or two of the highest placed teams in the overall league that have not qualified the normal way will get in this way. Which personally I think is fair if you wan't the best teams in Europe at the finals

4 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

If you’re a pot 3 team you’re really relying on the pot 2 team to have a shite campaign. You’ll probably still end up with Holland or Germany or someone similar in the playoffs. 

The only realistic chance we’ve got of getting to the World Cup again is if we can get into pot 2 (we’ll likely be playing very well if we do that) and the pot 1 team has a howler. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure I read it's going to be 10 groups of x number of teams. Group winners go through and then the ten second place teams will go into 3 groups of four teams. Other two teams will be two group winners of next nations league. Top 3 teams also go to World cup.

So no play offs and nothing if you finish 3rd in your world cup group so really need to do the same as euros, win the nations group as that's likely best route.

I believe though Scotland going to be promoted into group B now so that will be harder.

Roll on 2024 I suggest...

Have to say I don't really care much about 2022 for where it's being hosted and time of the year, going to be a very artificial world cup so would actually do as The Dark Knight sort of suggested and use the period to get more young players into the team like Billy Gilmour who will surely be ready by then.

2024 euros in Germany will be a very nice tournament, desperately need to be qualifying for that.

Edited by Tartan Chris

3 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Pretty sure I read it's going to be 10 groups of x number of teams. Group winners go through and then the ten second place teams will go into 3 groups of four teams. Other two teams will be two group winners of next nations league. Top 3 teams also go to World cup.

So no play offs and nothing if you finish 3rd in your world cup group so really need to do the same as euros, win the nations group as that's likely best route.

I believe though Scotland going to be promoted into group B now so that will be harder.

Roll on 2024 I suggest...

Have to say I don't really care much about 2022 for where it's being hosted and time of the year, going to be a very artificial world cup so would actually do as The Dark Knight sort of suggested and use the period to get more young players into the team like Billy Gilmour who will surely be ready by then.

2024 euros in Germany will be a very nice tournament, desperately need to be qualifying for that.

Regardless of where it is being held, unless we get the kindest draw possible we really should be using that time period (even then we still should), to bring through the best of our next generation and stop calling up decent/average back ups in their late 20s, who are just there to make up the numbers. Guys like Gilmour, Johnston (when he is back fully fit), Porteous (I know he got a call up but that felt more due to injury, than a long term plan for him), Turnbull (hopefully he gets back to his pre injury levels, once he is able to play) and hopefully in the next year or 2 a lot of the promising U19s can make inroads to their clubs first teams.

The 3 play-offs being 3 paths of 4 teams playing a single semifinal and a single final.   The 12 teams competing the play-offs will comprise the 10 group runners up plus the top 2 nations League teams not finishing 1st/2nd in the groups.

I just wrote out my interpretation there to get it straight in my head.   Hope it's clear 🙂

52 minutes ago, Bonny79 said:

Whens the draw for groups? 

I can't see a WC draw date after all.   My guess about a year from now as 1st games are March 2021.

Next Nations League group draw I believe is 3-Mar-2020, and games Sep-Nov 2020.   Maybe those games will also determine FIFA rankings for the WC group draw?

31 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Can't see us being able to qualify for the WC unless they decide to increase the teams.

I think initially FIFA looked at increasing the number of teams for 2022 but the Qatar infrastructure would not be able to cope with this so canned until 2026. 

On 11/16/2019 at 6:48 PM, Tartan Chris said:

It was always difficult to qualify for a world cup

We were just better