Scotland XI to play Cyprus - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland XI to play Cyprus

The_Dark_Knight

45 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Thought the performance was OK and that's with us missing our 4 highest profile players. Think that's the formation we should continue with as it allows us to play with 3 centre midfielders and Christie. We need to play to our strengths and at the moment that's in midfield. McTominay can slot in to McGregor or Jack's position when he's fit and Fraser can potentially come in for Forrest.

Marshall - He's solid, would be good to have a peak McGregor or Gordon but he's decent enough. 

Palmer - OK defensively but weak at passing and getting forward to swing crosses in. Tierney would be massive improvement here. 

McKenna - Not sure what's up with him. He is just back from injury but has regressed since his breakthrough. Shouldn't be starting for us based on that performance. Being put on his arse but a Cypriot journeyman is embarrassing. I know he's not a favourite on here but Liam Cooper is probably the way forward at LCB, and maybe Findlay.

Gallagher - Was actually better than I thought but will probably be out of his depth against strikers like Haland, King and Mitrovic. If John Souttar or David Bates can get fit and start putting in performances I'd put them in. 

Taylor - Was OK, nice play for the goal but wasn't a fan of much else. Obviously Robertson coming back in will improve us. 

Jack - Thought he played well in the first half, passed it well enough and helped out defensively. I think that McTominay could do this better though. McTominay partnered with McGregor as the two deepest midfielders could share defensive duties and break forward whilst the other sits. 

McGregor - Don't think he fully gets in to his Celtic form for Scotland. Hopefully he starts getting it by March. Is really tidy with the ball and is good at playing little triangles with the wingers.

McGinn - Is now in his Aston Villa role for Scotland. Has to start every game, so good at getting into the box at the right time, uses his strength and presses really well. Doesn't have to try make a million passes and play near his own box. 

Christie - Is so so good. Quality for the first goal and has the best touch in our squad. Has to start every game now too. He isn't as effective as a right winger but we need to play McGinn too. 

Forrest  - Thought he was a bit meh, way to hesitant with the ball. Normally a fan of his but I think I'd prefer Fraser there.

Naismith - He tried his best. I'd much prefer Steven Fletcher...I'd actually play Chris Martin over him too. Assume Fletcher will make himself available in March - he probably goes straight into the first 11. Would be nice to have Griffiths as an option too. 

So encouraging overall, I can see where goals can come from in the squad but really worrying in defence BUT I think it'll be an improved and new starting 4 in March. So maybe not as bad as we think. Hopefully we can put out this team. 

GK - Marshall

RB - Tierney

LB - Robertson

CB - Cooper, possibly Findlay. 

CB - Souttar but wouldn't mind Gallagher or Bates too much.

CM - McTominay

CM - McGregor

CAM - McGinn

RW - Christie

LW - Fraser

ST - Fletcher

Agree with this post. 

We have a really strong midfield that is as good as most 2nd tier international teams. Mctominay for me will grow into our best player and has to start every match. I liked the balance of mcgregor and Jack yesterday but I think Jack will make way when mctominay returns. When you think we have Armstrong, Jack, McLean and gilmour waiting in reserve there is real strength in depth. 

Mctominay, McGregor, Christie, McGinn, Robertson, Tierney and Fraser should be certain starters. 

The goalkeeper, 2 Centre halves and striker are real weaknesses for us. 

I think Marshall is best we have but I'm no fan. 

Bates is solid and Gallagher did well yesterday and does the basics well. Cooper and findlay are OK as well. None are world beaters. 

Striker, Naismith is still fine but shankland to me looks like a proper player just playing at a crap level. Griffiths if fit the best of all. 

Plenty to be positive about 

Edited by gonzohiggy

23 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

18 points from the teams below you is all very well but we’d still have finished third as we took nothing from a superior Russian team.  We really need to get into pot 2 to stand a chance in these groups but in order to do that we’ll probably need to qualify for something or do very well in the Nations League. 

14 points in Wales group is equivalent to 20 points in our group so I wouldn’t say it was that interesting. 20 points will get most teams second place in a group of 6. 

It's interesting when you look at Wales group, all they've done is beaten Azerbaijan home and away (even in this state I reckon Scotland could do that) and beaten Slovaks 1-0 at home (did that under Strachan two years ago). Maybe more debatable is whether Scotland coudl get 1-1s away to Slovaks and Croatia (probably not). That's all Wales have done anyway and they're a home win away from making it automatically.

Probably shows it's better just to have one stand out team in the group like Croatia and then everyone else capable of taking points off each other so points total for 2nd is lower.

It's similar to the 2018 world cup group and why that was such a missed opportunity to at least get a play off spot. Was there for the taking if Strachan hadn't put out some bizarre line ups in the first half of the campaign which cost points from winnable fixtures like Lithuania at home.

Just now, ceudmilefailte said:

Apologies I checked on him during the early games in the season and stopped then as he was always on the bench.

Kind of get the feeling he's maybe not a first pick even if fit. Would like to see him move somewhere hell be a regular as he is a decent big player