Scotland U21 v Greece U21 - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland U21 v Greece U21

The_Dark_Knight

1 minute ago, bazmidd said:

Aye let's just throw all these lads into the first team.... Can't believe people genuinely think doing this will magically change our fortunes. I am not panning these young lads but they are not ready and this game proved it

I don't think anyone is suggesting this crop just get thrown in though you can make a case for possibly one or two.

Maybe I've seen bad Hornby games, but he looks like he rates himself more than any potential team does.

Aye, decent at holding the ball up and so on, but a touch too many/ball greedy at times.

That'll be that then - 1pt from two home games against Greece and Lithuania will see us oot.

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I'm actually with you. Didn't make my sarcasm or disdain obvious enough. Fucking typical of us. All other small countries who have a talent on the fringes of a big club first team will fire them into the big squad. But oh noooooooo......not us, not Scotland.

What is clearly being ignored here is the fact that we happen to already have a decent quality midfield, best for over two decades so that makes him surplus at the moment. If he was a centre back, forward or right back, even goalkeeper it'd be a different story

That was absolutely fkin rancid. Easy to see what the problem is - 4 goals in 5 games and one of these games was San Marino at home.

Totally and utterly punchless up front, not helped by Gemmill's baffling decision to wait until 5 minutes to go against 10 men before sticking somebody out wide on the right. Still, it worked against Croatia so let's see if it happens again.

Gilmour at least looks like he's got it, but anyone thinking Hornby is the answer to the full team's striking problems, well... FFS. Chases after the ball all game?  Big fkin deal - I used to have a dug that would've done that.

4 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Aye let's just throw all these lads into the first team.... Can't believe people genuinely think doing this will magically change our fortunes. I am not panning these young lads but they are not ready and this game proved it

Nobody thinks they will change fortunes. 

The point being made is that the best of them may as well be integrated in place of dead wood and guys 10 years older than them who will never contribute anything to the national set up. 

5 minutes ago, daviebee said:

That was absolutely fkin rancid. Easy to see what the problem is - 4 goals in 5 games and one of these games was San Marino at home.

Totally and utterly punchless up front, not helped by Gemmill's baffling decision to wait until 5 minutes to go against 10 men before sticking somebody out wide on the right. Still, it worked against Croatia so let's see if it happens again.

Gilmour at least looks like he's got it, but anyone thinking Hornby is the answer to the full team's striking problems, well... FFS. Chases after the ball all game?  Big fkin deal - I used to have a dug that would've done that.

I have a hunch that Peter Houston has a disproportionate influence over the U21s and that Gemmill is out of his depth.

These conservative kind of tactics are the kind Houston would employ.

4 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I have a hunch that Peter Houston has a disproportionate influence over the U21s and that Gemmill is out of his depth.

These conservative kind of tactics are the kind Houston would employ.

I'd no idea Houston was involved.  WTF are we letting these fkin dinosaurs near our youngsters for???

4 minutes ago, daviebee said:

I'd no idea Houston was involved.  WTF are we letting these fkin dinosaurs near our youngsters for???

He's Gemmill's feckin assistant :angry: Unbelievable.

It's the SFA we are talking about. They will always find jobs for the good ole' boys when they need them, never mind the fact that they are not suitable for such roles or have fallen behind the times.

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Most countries would, even good ones.

We are crap and don’t even do what other crap countries do.

Clarke is also touting the improvement under him in the press today.

Unsure what planet he’s on, total space cadet. 

He's just doing his own or job as knows already on sticky wicket

Even with pull outs, our side tomorrow should have enough

We'll see though, again

It’s absolute madness guys like Billy Stark & Peter Houston are in key youth coaching positions.

Craig Levein will be next.

It’d be like England appointing Neil Warnock to coach their under 17s now he’s available.

He’s probably on the SFA radar actually... 

We must have the lowest collective IQ of any Football Association on earth. 
Im really getting p@ssed listening to these ex players, journalists and commentators who try as hard as possible avoid controversy at all costs. Is there anyone left connected to Scottish football that has a personality, that will speak their own mind? Love him or hate him at least Roy Keane would say what he thought of the Irish FA.

12 minutes ago, Rscot said:

We must have the lowest collective IQ of any Football Association on earth. 
Im really getting p@ssed listening to these ex players, journalists and commentators who try as hard as possible avoid controversy at all costs. Is there anyone left connected to Scottish football that has a personality, that will speak their own mind? Love him or hate him at least Roy Keane would say what he thought of the Irish FA.

Totally.

Were pish but we could be better with a positive structure and a new regime all round. 

Painful. 

Guest ElChris04

We really are the most backward country in that world. From top to bottom needs a clear out, new youth coaches, new Youth team mangers and 21st century set up to grow out players aswell as a clear out of the SFA 

from top to bottom we are shite and it’s thanks to the SFA, the cunts they employ to manage and deal with our youth and a government willing to not spend on growing this Country’s football. 

shambles but not surprised. 

7 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Nobody thinks they will change fortunes. 

The point being made is that the best of them may as well be integrated in place of dead wood and guys 10 years older than them who will never contribute anything to the national set up. 

No... That was exactly my point is that they should be integrated to compliment what we have. You need good senior pros in the squad to set standards, the likes of Naismith have been called deadwood many times on here but he is actually essential at helping these younger players come through into the squad. Some on here want everyone chucked out the squad over 26 and some of these inexperienced lads thrown straight in. Which is exactly what McLeish done to Strachan final squad and completely ruined a side that was heading in the right direction

6 hours ago, ProudScot said:

It’s absolute madness guys like Billy Stark & Peter Houston are in key youth coaching positions.

Craig Levein will be next.

It’d be like England appointing Neil Warnock to coach their under 17s now he’s available.

He’s probably on the SFA radar actually... 

This is very true. Why are guys like Maloney, Kennedy even Ian Cathro at youth level not involved, these guys are all excellent young coaches at the top level and we have guys that have been punted from Falkirk and East Kilbride! The youth teams are as, if not more important than the first team, if the standard of coaching goes up, the standard of player goes up. If we start qualifying for youth tournaments on a regular basis that would naturally transcend into the seniors once those boys get older. I am seriously disappointed in Gemmil last night, as he continually talks about developing players for the national side as being the most important thing. Well his tactics and team selection, at home, yet again have not allowed our players to express themselves and attack. The only development his tactics allowed were to brace the boys for years of a similar crap set up in the seniors for years to come. The 17s and 19s don't play that way, Gemmil changed it to get a result that's not how it should be at youth level. Keep the style of the 17s and 19s all the way to 21s and beyond and bring in the best up and coming coaches we have to implement it or we'll never progress as a nation

I didn’t watch the game and know very little about the u21’s but tactics aside, the manager can’t do much if the players coming through aren’t good enough. By 19 / 20 the damage has been done in terms of basic technique and skills. We’re behind the vast majority of Europe and have been for generations. 

10 hours ago, Marky said:

That is one honkin U21 side.

Ive seen Gilmour play 3 or 4 times now and I’ve yet to see what all the fuss is about.

Have to agree. Watched him twice now and although he’s neat and tidy in and around the centre circle he offered no penetration or drive. 

Hornby too, wants to many touches in the box instead of getting his shot in early. 

3 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Have to agree. Watched him twice now and although he’s neat and tidy in and around the centre circle he offered no penetration or drive. 

Hornby too, wants to many touches in the box instead of getting his shot in early. 

Perhaps they’re just following the lead of the first team. You know the attitude where they turn it on or their club and give half arsed efforts for Scotland 

Just now, vanderark14 said:

Perhaps they’re just following the lead of the first team. You know the attitude where they turn it on or their club and give half arsed efforts for Scotland 

Maybe, although I’m inclined to think they’re a lot more passive with Scotland as it’s bred into them. Gilmour is the Performance Schools pin up but he’s no excited me (yet).  

1 minute ago, McTeeko said:

Maybe, although I’m inclined to think they’re a lot more passive with Scotland as it’s bred into them. Gilmour is the Performance Schools pin up but he’s no excited me (yet).  

From top to bottom that’s the attitude I’ve come to expect from the SFA. Give job to coaches out of sympathy because they are good football men never question the players efforts. 

Extremely poor performance with a lot of average players not helped by strange tactics. Only looked dangerous when middleton came on which was too late. 

Gilmour was decent and I quite liked the centre half Johnston, apart from that very average. 

That u21 squad have a handful of players who have full international potential - Gilmour, mikey Johnston, Porteous (already in), the other Johnston when he starts playing at a decent first team level and at a push middleton. 

The rest of them just look like most Scottish player we've produced in the last 20 years - not good enough