Why not bring in Ross Stewart - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Why not bring in Ross Stewart

Rscot

3 minutes ago, g@un said:

Any striker that can score goals in the SPL should be looked at. Still think Shankland will get SPL goals sooner rather than later. Really want Hornby to succeed in Belgium as well. He's the one that I am most hopeful for.

Can't say I've been impressed at all by Hornby when I've seen him play U21's. 

Just looks like a lump of a forward who isn't very good. 

3 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

:lol: He's young enough to have days like that given his physique.

I remember thinking the same thing about Harry Kane!

2 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

I’ve watched a couple of his games since he’s been in Belgium, his height makes him an obvious target man but he’s deceptively quick as well. I wouldn’t be averse to him being called up if he continues his form in Belgium.

12 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Haha they also laughed at me when I slipped and fell on my arse on the muddy hill in school. 

Seriously though, I don't think Stewart is a ridiculous shout, but I would be tempted to put Hornby ahead of him in the pecking order. 

I never mentioned Hornby because he has commitments with the U21’s, which is fair enough. They have important games ahead.

3 hours ago, adamntg said:

Stewart scored 6 goals in the Championship last season.  Shankland has three times that already and it's only the middle of November.

Different types of players, we miss a CF with a physical presence who can give other, more gifted players an opportunity to score. Also he has scored nearly as many goals in the SPL this season as he did in the whole of last season in the championship, maybe he is playing  with better players around him this season and improving? But I’d bet he made a few assists and gave others opportunities. Played 32, scored 11 last season, not bad. And Ross County got promoted, and he’s still in the team playing nearly every week. They must appreciate what he brings to the team, and that’s what interests me, not so much his goals, but what he can bring to the team.

50 minutes ago, Rscot said:

Different types of players, we miss a CF with a physical presence who can give other, more gifted players an opportunity to score. Also he has scored nearly as many goals in the SPL this season as he did in the whole of last season in the championship, maybe he is playing  with better players around him this season and improving? But I’d bet he made a few assists and gave others opportunities. Played 32, scored 11 last season, not bad. And Ross County got promoted, and he’s still in the team playing nearly every week. They must appreciate what he brings to the team, and that’s what interests me, not so much his goals, but what he can bring to the team.

It was just a comment on why Shankland's ridiculous stats mean picking him from the Championship is not a crazy idea.  I've noticed Stewart before (or even heard of him to be honest), he might turn out to be great.  But 11 goals from 32 in all competitions while playing in the second tier doesn't scream international call-up.

Bear in mind we've had lots of strikers over the last decade who can hold up the ball but can't score.

3 minutes ago, adamntg said:

It was just a comment on why Shankland's ridiculous stats mean picking him from the Championship is not a crazy idea.  I've noticed Stewart before (or even heard of him to be honest), he might turn out to be great.  But 11 goals from 32 in all competitions while playing in the second tier doesn't scream international call-up.

Bear in mind we've had lots of strikers over the last decade who can hold up the ball but can't score.

All I’m saying is he brings something no other CF we have does, with the possible exception of Hornby. I’m not saying he is the reincarnation of Joe Jordan but he could and I state “could” maybe do a job for the team. We don’t have any other big CF that I know of. I think Clarke should have brought him into the squad and had a closer look. We have so few options up front, I believe that it would’ve been worth a little gamble and including him in the squad. But we are so risk adverse these days it’s bordering on cowardice, even though we a desperately short up front.

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I'll be honest, I had no idea who ross Stewart was until this thread was created. 

Same.

In a world where we're calling up Scottish Championship players and English League One players, all bets are off.

No idea who Ross Stewart is but i'd rather try an unknown than stick with the players who have failed us.

2 hours ago, Rscot said:

Ok let’s play Olly Burke up front

I think it's a bit unfair to keep using Olly Burke as a reason to pick any old mediocre striker playing in the SPL, when Olly Burke isn't even a striker. He is a winger being asked to do a job up front because he has two attributes that are better than anyone else in the squad, pace and strength which Clarke has tried to use to stretch teams on the counter. Unfortunately Olly is just not great with his back to goal, he likes to face the goal and attack players with his pace from deep positions, he doesn't have the touch or awareness or know how of a natural target man or number 9, but he is a winger so is unfairly judged here. Ask Rod Stewart to play on the wing for Alaves and see how he gets on

39 minutes ago, Farcity said:

Seriously, can nobody else see this?

I know the guys clearly on the wind up here, my comment was more to do with the continued unfair criticism of Olly Burke playing as a striker. I mean if we are really talking about proper target men getting a chance I'm still of the opinion Craig Brewster could do a fine job up top, he's probably near enough 50 now but looks aboot 30 n f*uckin gorgeous! Daddy Brew and The Craw are a partnership that would have taken the international stage by storm

2 hours ago, bazmidd said:

I know the guys clearly on the wind up here, my comment was more to do with the continued unfair criticism of Olly Burke playing as a striker. I mean if we are really talking about proper target men getting a chance I'm still of the opinion Craig Brewster could do a fine job up top, he's probably near enough 50 now but looks aboot 30 n f*uckin gorgeous! Daddy Brew and The Craw are a partnership that would have taken the international stage by storm

I agree.

Burke is clearly dedicated to Scotland so to constantly use him as a figure of fun is unfair.

I've seen him in Spain and he is contributing to the team and he isnt wilting. He's in La Liga, so he deserves more respect than he is getting from so-called supporters.

Personally, I like him.

12 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I agree.

Burke is clearly dedicated to Scotland so to constantly use him as a figure of fun is unfair.

I've seen him in Spain and he is contributing to the team and he isnt wilting. He's in La Liga, so he deserves more respect than he is getting from so-called supporters.

Personally, I like him.

Not as a CF and yet he is our only attacker with a physical / aerial threat. 

2 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I'd play him up front with Forrest. Classic little and large partnership.

Fine, neither are natural strikers, but it's the current situation we find ourselves in.

Or we could try playing a natural CF with these attributes, I’d take the gamble, what’s the downside?

3 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I get your point.

If I had my way 50% of the players in the current squad wouldn't be in the next squad.

As I said, it’s not even about him scoring, it’s about him being able to use his attributes to provide a platform for our more talented attacking players, ie Forrest, Christie, McGinn etc. But I stand by my statement, he’s too good for Ross County and someone with an eye for a bargain will take him to a bigger club in the next season or two.

12 minutes ago, Rscot said:

As I said, it’s not even about him scoring, it’s about him being able to use his attributes to provide a platform for our more talented attacking players, ie Forrest, Christie, McGinn etc. But I stand by my statement, he’s too good for Ross County and someone with an eye for a bargain will take him to a bigger club in the next season or two.

Fair enough. I hope you're right.

I haven't got my finger on the SPL pulse, so i don't know Ross Stewart from Rod Stewart.

1 minute ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Fair enough. I hope you're right.

I haven't got my finger on the SPL pulse, so i don't know Ross Stewart from Rod Stewart.

Doesn’t matter anyway, Clarke hasn’t picked him, will probably never pick him. So we can all look forward to head scratching and poor, uninformed analysis as to why we can’t operate as an attacking threat when we play a team that isn’t San Marino or Andorra