Why not bring in Ross Stewart - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Why not bring in Ross Stewart

Rscot

Why not bring in Ross Stewart to the squad? Ok he’s not Harry Kane or Ruud Van Nistelroy but we really lack a physical presence up front. Why not bring him into the squad and take a closer look at him, see what he can bring to the squad. Perhaps he is just the kind of CF we could bring on with 10-15 minutes to go if we need an aerial threat? I can’t see another Scottish CF who can gives us a physical presence.

Edited by Rscot

We’re not blessed with many options up front. We may well be starting a CF from the 1st Division on Saturday. And you laugh at the idea of having a Premier league striker who has 16 appearances and 8 goals in all competition this season so far plus assists. A CF that has attributes that we lack and none of our other CF’s have. As I said in the post above show me someone better.

4 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I had to search SofaScore to see who it even was.

But sure, why not. If we somehow discover a gem, why not.

Saying that, though... I've never see him/heard of him.

He could bring something different to the squad, whether he is good enough or not, why not take the chance we are really lacking options up front. Bring him in and have a look, you never know until you try, he maybe the sort of player that rises to the occasion. But guess what, you’ll never know unless you try, but that would mean taking a little gamble. 

Notice I said bring him into the squad, I didn’t say start him. He brings something different, if we had Duncan Ferguson available I wouldn’t have mentioned the name  of Ross Stewart, but guess what folks we don’t have Duncan Ferguson to choose. 

13 minutes ago, Rscot said:

Notice I said bring him into the squad, I didn’t say start him. He brings something different, if we had Duncan Ferguson available I wouldn’t have mentioned the name  of Ross Stewart, but guess what folks we don’t have Duncan Ferguson to choose. 

Good point.

I'm all for experimenting, so I wouldn't be opposed to it. Anything would be better than sticking with Naismith.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

6 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Good point.

I'm all for experimenting, so I wouldn't be opposed to it. Anything would be better than sticking with Naismith.

Id suggest that Stewart is better suited to playing up front, linking up play, holding up the ball, using his height and physique to affect than Olly Burke.

Edited by Rscot

And don't mind the laughter, they laughed at Galileo when he said that the Earth revolves around the Sun... Before putting him under house arrest till his death.

Suggesting thinking outside the box in this place is akin to what Galileo must've felt.

Took me ages to make people believe that we're more suited to 3 at the back than 4, but slowly but surely they're coming around to the idea.... Kinda.

So yes, take it as a back-handed compliment.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

3 minutes ago, Rscot said:

Some people can’t seem to get the idea of blend / balance when it relates to football. Ok Ross Stewart isn’t Duncan Ferguson, but  maybe the kind of CF that will allow the team to function better because of what he can offer.

Stick to your convictions.

At this point, I'm not ruling anything out. Now that we've called up Shankland, everything is fair game.

Just now, The_Dark_Knight said:

Stick to your convictions.

At this point, I'm not ruling anything out. Now that we've called up Shankland, everything is fair game.

It’s very obvious that we lack a certain type of CF. And the only one that I know who fits the bill at this moment in time is Stewart. Ok imagine the scenario. It’s 1-1 between Scotland and Kazakhstan, we’d like to win the game, there’s 15 minutes to go, you look at the bench to change things up in the hope of scoring a goal. Would you want a tall CF on the bench, an aerial threat? 

1 minute ago, Rscot said:

It’s very obvious that we lack a certain type of CF. And the only one that I know who fits the bill at this moment in time is Stewart. Ok imagine the scenario. It’s 1-1 between Scotland and Kazakhstan, we’d like to win the game, there’s 15 minutes to go, you look at the bench to change things up in the hope of scoring a goal. Would you want a tall CF on the bench, an aerial threat? 

I suppose. I think it depends on how he uses his physique. Look at McBurnie, he's about 6 foot 3 and yet he plays with the physicality of a Smurf.

I don't watch Scottish football, at all, so Ross Stewart could play like Rod Stewart for all I know. :P

2 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I suppose. I think it depends on how he uses his physique. Look at McBurnie, he's about 6 foot 3 and yet he plays with the physicality of a Smurf.

I don't watch Scottish football, at all, so Ross Stewart could play like Rod Stewart for all I know. :P

From what I’ve seen of Stewart he is similar to Lyndon Dykes. 

33 minutes ago, Rscot said:

From what I’ve seen of Stewart he is similar to Lyndon Dykes. 

Fair enough. 

People will probably make quips about that comparison, but in this squad we have players from the English league one and the Scottish Championship. We have to take what we can get, and it's Clarke's remit to mould us into a decent team.

Keep to your convictions, mate. :)

1 hour ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

And don't mind the laughter, they laughed at Galileo when he said that the Earth revolves around the Sun... Before putting him under house arrest till his death.

Suggesting thinking outside the box in this place is akin to what Galileo must've felt.

Took me ages to make people believe that we're more suited to 3 at the back than 4, but slowly but surely they're coming around to the idea.... Kinda.

So yes, take it as a back-handed compliment.

Haha they also laughed at me when I slipped and fell on my arse on the muddy hill in school. 

Seriously though, I don't think Stewart is a ridiculous shout, but I would be tempted to put Hornby ahead of him in the pecking order. 

9 hours ago, Rscot said:

He has played 11 games in the league for Ross County and scored 4 goals. Not bad for a 23 y/o who has probably a few assists as well. Name me a better option to bring a physical presence / aerial threat to the squad.

Alright Ross. We know that's you! 

10 hours ago, WCTA said:

Not saying I agree nor disagree but nobody who wanted Shankland capped can justify laughing at this suggestion. 

Stewart scored 6 goals in the Championship last season.  Shankland has three times that already and it's only the middle of November.

Any striker that can score goals in the SPL should be looked at. Still think Shankland will get SPL goals sooner rather than later. Really want Hornby to succeed in Belgium as well. He's the one that I am most hopeful for.