Why not bring in Ross Stewart - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Why not bring in Ross Stewart

Rscot

18 hours ago, Rscot said:

All I’m saying is he brings something no other CF we have does, with the possible exception of Hornby. I’m not saying he is the reincarnation of Joe Jordan but he could and I state “could” maybe do a job for the team. We don’t have any other big CF that I know of. I think Clarke should have brought him into the squad and had a closer look. We have so few options up front, I believe that it would’ve been worth a little gamble and including him in the squad. But we are so risk adverse these days it’s bordering on cowardice, even though we a desperately short up front.

We do have a £20m striker, a guy with 20 goals already this season (and 80 over the last two and a half) and the vastly experienced Naismith who's about to win his 50th cap.  I can't honestly say this guy's record suggests he should be in front of any of them.

I get your point as ive seen him twice v motherwell and hes looked dangerous. He actually played more wide in those games to compete with our smallee full backs so i dont know about a target man. i am of same opinion as yourself that he could be a bargain for someone and i will be keeping an eye on him. 

2 hours ago, adamntg said:

We do have a £20m striker, a guy with 20 goals already this season (and 80 over the last two and a half) and the vastly experienced Naismith who's about to win his 50th cap.  I can't honestly say this guy's record suggests he should be in front of any of them.

I said bring him into the squad to take a closer look at him. And his record is pretty decent. It’s his 1st season in the top flight. If he continues scoring at the rate he has he will be hitting 13-14 goals this season, for Ross County. That’s not including assists, penalty’s won, red cards against players fouling him (which happened in the victory over Motherwell, I think), free kicks won etc. But the point is he offers something we lack, which could be beneficial to the way the team functions. Anyway, made my point.

4 hours ago, runningtings said:

I did laugh at our top formation expert on the forum admitting on this thread that they don't even watch Scottish football.

Explains a lot.

It does, exactly. As much as it explains a lot that people here do watch Scottish football.

Shaun Maloney is clearly wasting his time visiting the Nou Camp to Anfield, Bundesliga to Serie A, etc. He should attend a general SPL match and watch in awe as players panic when they're closed down as well as their Thor-like ability to throw a hammer as high and as far as they can... And by "hammer", I mean a ball. And by "throw" I mean kick.

Not even mentioning the time the SPL saves you. I mean, you don't even have to attend a match all season and you'll know who wins. It's magical.

Yep. Scottish football is so tactically astute that our clubs stumble and fall to giants from Croatia, Sweden, Luxembourg and Wales.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

1 hour ago, gaz7 said:

I get your point as ive seen him twice v motherwell and hes looked dangerous. He actually played more wide in those games to compete with our smallee full backs so i dont know about a target man. i am of same opinion as yourself that he could be a bargain for someone and i will be keeping an eye on him. 

I think he has the potential to offer something different, something we lack in the squad. Shame Clarke can’t see it. But as you correctly pointed out, he can see the potential in Porteous, who has been playing for a Hibs team who are near the bottom of the league and have been leaking goals. Meanwhile Ross County, who were probably a lot of people’s favourites to go down have sneaked into the top 6, I wonder who’s goals and assists have helped that happen?

56 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

It does, exactly. As much as it explains a lot that people here do watch Scottish football.

Shaun Maloney is clearly wasting his time visiting the Nou Camp to Anfield, Bundesliga to Serie A, etc. He should attend a general SPL match and watch in awe as players panic when they're closed down as well as their Thor-like ability to throw a hammer as high and as far as they can... And by "hammer", I mean a ball. And by "throw" I mean kick.

Not even mentioning the time the SPL saves you time. I mean, you don't even have to attend a match all season and you'll know who wins. It's magical.

Yep. Scottish football is so tactically astute that our clubs stumble and fall to giants from Croatia, Sweden, Luxembourg and Wales.

Edit*

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, kwhitelaw said:

That's your source ? :rollsmile:

A paper that once ran weekly articles about Real Madrid being in negotiations for Steven Fletcher and that Man Utd were looking at 19 year old John Fleck. :lol:

Find a better source.

31 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

A paper that once ran weekly articles about Real Madrid being in negotiations for Steven Fletcher and that Man Utd were looking at 19 year old John Fleck. :lol:

Find a better source.

Man U could do with John Fleck nowadays.

17 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Find a better source.

Eh aye it is, via the BBC gossip page if you must know.  

aye I know the source doesn't exactly have a great history of getting every story correct (and just making up wild nonsense) but a story involving a Ross County striker possibly interesting a couple of lower English Championship teams is a bit of a random lie to try and shift a few copies or generate clicks!  I wouldn't have even bothered with it if i hadn't remembered this thread!

I guess you're one of those guys that are right in with the insider knowledge and don't need to both with the press like the rest of us 😉 

• 11 months later...
2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

6 goals this season with 3 coming against stirling and arbroath.

Who gets dropped for stewart?

You could drop McBurnie or Burke or Patterson. I think he’s the closest direct replacement for Dykes that we have. Hopefully he’ll get a move from Ross County soon to a team where he’ll get more chances and somewhere they will play him through the middle. Ross County still play him wide left quite often.

Edited by Scot1

6 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Except that Paterson can cover more than one position in emergency.

If young Hickey was brought into the squad he can cover left and right wingback positions, drop Greg Taylor. That gives cover to drop Paterson, who of course scored tonight, and bring in Ross Stewart.

On 12/2/2020 at 11:22 PM, Scot1 said:

If young Hickey was brought into the squad he can cover left and right wingback positions, drop Greg Taylor. That gives cover to drop Paterson, who of course scored tonight, and bring in Ross Stewart.

Taylor hasn’t played in donkeys. Should be nowhere near the squad and definitely should be behind Hickey in the pecking order now. 

7 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Taylor hasn’t played in donkeys. Should be nowhere near the squad and definitely should be behind Hickey in the pecking order now. 

I’d agree with this, I’d like to see Hickey getting into the squad as soon as possible, get him involved. It’s pretty obvious  that he’s going to be a mainstay in the squad/team in the not too distant future.