Your Team To Play Cyprus? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Team To Play Cyprus?

Guest ElChris04

Guest ElChris04

With the game 3 days away and majority of the players that have pulled out getting replaced with guys such as Porteous, Morgan, Shinnie, what would your team be to play Cyprus at the weekend? 

Guest ElChris04

My team would consist of this giving club form and development in the U21’s

3-5-2 

Forrest played RWB for Celtic agaisnt Lazio and was outstanding, Taylor is very solid going forward and defensively so would 100% be worth trying At LWB. I don’t believe having 2 CB’s would fit us. Having 3 leverages us to have more containment from corners and reliable from set pieces and corners of our own. Porteous is very much ready for his first cap as is Gallagher 

There was decisions that Jack could be a good RB, but I feel him as our primary CDM while McTominay is away is a must. I just don’t feel we should be playing 4 at the back untill we have Robertson and Tierney fit. 

aswell as McBurnie having more support with Shankland next to him ( debatable him or Naismith) but either way it’s no longer “hoof the ball to the lone ST” shite, Imo this formation plays to the best of the current group and its something I would love to see against Cyprus.

00B808C1-19D0-41EE-98DB-49E0EE290272.png

2 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

3-5-2 

Forrest played RWB for Celtic agaisnt Lazio and was outstanding, Taylor is very solid going forward and defensively so would 100% be worth trying At LWB. I don’t believe having 2 CB’s would fit us. Having 3 leverages us to have more containment from corners and reliable from set pieces and corners of our own. Porteous is very much ready for his first cap as is Gallagher 

There was decisions that Jack could be a good RB, but I feel him as our primary CDM while McTominay is away is a must. I just don’t feel we should be playing 4 at the back untill we have Robertson and Tierney fit. 

aswell as McBurnie having more support with Shankland next to him ( debatable him or Naismith) but either way it’s no longer “hoof the ball to the lone ST” shite, Imo this formation plays to the best of the current group and its something I would love to see against Cyprus.

3 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

3-5-2 

I'd love to see that team.

I'll go along with yours.

Guest ElChris04
5 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I'd love to see that team.

I'll go along with yours.

Here’s hoping then, four at the back just isn’t suited to our current group at all without KT,Robbo, Griff. and wasting our best CDM at right back when he would slot in a 3-5-2 perfectly as our defensive midfielder with Christie and McGinn linking up the play in front of him with 2 strikers up front and 2 capable Wing backs makes perfect sense to me.

Edited by ElChris04

50 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

3-5-2 

Would be happy to see that team start.

I would have put Gallagher in his position, but moved him into the centre of the 3 as I’d want him to organise the back line. O’Donnell played pretty well as a right wing back, It’s a little bit of a gamble but i think him and Palmer could play well together on the right side. All this talk of back 3’s is fine and I agree with it, but which CB are you gonna have in the middle organising it. Out of all our CB’s who is an organiser, shouter? It’s about getting the right blend, balance. I was on here before briefly and I picked Hacklett for this reason, he is an organiser, perhaps not our most talented or gifted CB, but does Scotland have such a CB other then Hacklett? 
Up front I could put Forest or Christie in behind Shankland, it’s a tricky one we have options in some positions. Same with Mcburnnie, it wouldn’t surprise me if  he’d give a much better account of himself upfront playing with a partner nearby.

9 minutes ago, GraemeTA said:

Would be happy to see that team start.

See I think this is falling into the trap of trying to squeeze the best players into the team, even if their out of position. I wouldn’t play McKenna at RCB, I’d try to find a better balanced back line.

Same in Midfield, I’d have Macgregor in to retain possession, play passes, try to get a better balance in there

Edited by Rscot

1 hour ago, ElChris04 said:

Here’s hoping then, four at the back just isn’t suited to our current group at all without KT,Robbo, Griff. and wasting our best CDM at right back when he would slot in a 3-5-2 perfectly as our defensive midfielder with Christie and McGinn linking up the play in front of him with 2 strikers up front and 2 capable Wing backs makes perfect sense to me.

Amen.

Let's hope Steve Clarke shows that he's willing to adapt.

I mean, look at Chris Wilder, he wasnt a three-at-the-back man till he joined Sheffield United. You have to play with the hand your dealt, especially at international level.

37 minutes ago, Rscot said:

I would have put Gallagher in his position, but moved him into the centre of the 3 as I’d want him to organise the back line. O’Donnell played pretty well as a right wing back, It’s a little bit of a gamble but i think him and Palmer could play well together on the right side. All this talk of back 3’s is fine and I agree with it, but which CB are you gonna have in the middle organising it. Out of all our CB’s who is an organiser, shouter? It’s about getting the right blend, balance. I was on here before briefly and I picked Hacklett for this reason, he is an organiser, perhaps not our most talented or gifted CB, but does Scotland have such a CB other then Hacklett? 
Up front I could put Forest or Christie in behind Shankland, it’s a tricky one we have options in some positions. Same with Mcburnnie, it wouldn’t surprise me if  he’d give a much better account of himself upfront playing with a partner nearby.

Aye mcburnie needs a bit of help, think christie or naismith behind him would help. Hes no been great for us but hes no had much help.

17 minutes ago, GraemeTA said:

Aye mcburnie needs a bit of help, think christie or naismith behind him would help. Hes no been great for us but hes no had much help.

I agree, I think within the right system and with  the right blend/balance of personnel some of our “underperforming” players and the team as a whole could lift their performance level. But can Clarke do it? From what I’ve seen so far, I personally don’t think he can, but time will tell.

11 minutes ago, GraemeTA said:

Hopefully, i wanted clarke for the job and still think hes the right man for it. Be interesting to see how the next 2 games go.

Hopefully he will prove me wrong but I’ve been unimpressed and uninspired by him so far.

I think Clarke will play the following: Marshall; Palmer, Devlin, McKenna, Taylor; Jack, McGregor; Christie, McGinn, Forrest; Naismith.

If I was to go down the road of the same formation, I would likely go: Marshall; Palmer, Devlin, McKenna, Taylor; Armstrong, Jack; Christie, McGinn, Forrest; Naismith.

However, I am tempted to give 3-5-2 a shot due to our incompetent defence and real lack of natural wide players available for this double header. I would likely go: Marshall; Devlin, McKenna, Porteous; Forrest, Christie, Jack, Fleck, Taylor; Naismith, McBurnie.

Two potential teams I've been deliberating between-

4-4-1-1

Marshall- Palmer, Porteous, McKenna, Taylor- Forrest, McGinn, Jack, Christie- Armstrong- Naismith 

3-4-2-1

Marshall- Mckenna, Gallagher, Porteous- Taylor, Jack, Mcginn, Forrest- Christie, Armstrong- Naismith 

Essentially, I think Naismith is best placed and best able to bring the midfield players into the attack. He also has proper leadership skills and has been transformative in any game he has played for Hearts, essentially since he first joined. He also has a fairly decent goals return in a Scotland shirt. His experience will be of great value, as will his near relentless talking throughout a game. 

Jack deserves his place especially with McTominay out leaving room in our midfield and I've tried to get as many of our better midfielders into the team as I can. 

We might end up with something close to my first one there, albeit I expect Devlin will play, given he was put up to Media duties the other day. I don't mind him, but I rate Gallagher and Porteous more highly. 

14 hours ago, gonzohiggy said:

I'd pick the following team but suspect Devlin will play instead of Porteous. 

Marshall

Palmer, Porteous, McKenna, Taylor

Jack, McGregor 

Forrest, McGinn, Christie

Shankland

That's what I had in mind. :ok: