Euro 2020 Playoffs - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2020 Playoffs

The_Dark_Knight

Playoffs  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Where will we finish in the playoffs?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th

This poll is closed to new votes

I haven't done much research on the playoffs, as it doesn't interest me in the slightest. It's a distraction. Instead of building for the next World Cup qualifiers, we're stopping it to focus on the playoffs for Euro 2020.

In the semi-final we'll either get Bulgaria, Israel and Romania. The final will be Noway or Serbia.

Currently we have no keeper, no right back, no center backs, no anchorman, no striker, etc, and yet people seem to think that we're in a state to qualify via the playoffs. :wtf:

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

If we do somehow scrape through these play offs, which we all would love but would be more unlikely than likely, it would be interesting to see what our squad for 2020 would be. 

By that point you’d expect Gilmour, McCrorie, Porteous, Johnston, Hornby etc to all be in the squad with a fair amount of dead wood cut out and a much more positive feel to everything. 

30 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I haven't done much research on the playoffs, as it doesn't interest me in the slightest. It's a distraction. Instead of building for the next World Cup qualifiers, we're stopping it to focus on the playoffs for Euro 2020.

In the semi-final we'll either get Bulgaria, Israel and Romania. The final will be Noway or Serbia.

Currently we have no keeper, no right back, no center backs, no anchorman, no striker, etc, and yet people seem to think that we're in a state to qualify via the playoffs. :wtf:

I think we'll win the first one and lose the final. 

Out of interest, from your point of view why don't you think playing in these kind of high pressure competitive matches would be good for the squad in preparation for the World Cup qualifying campaign? 

Isn't it a win/win for both points of view? Better than a couple of random friendlies. 

Serbia shipped two goals at home this evening to one of the worst teams in international football.

Let there be no doubt about it-this is the single best chance scotland will EVER get to qualify for a major tournament ever again. Add in that it’s effectively a home tournament with the carrot of playing England at Wembley.

We are preparing for all of this by fielding our B team in the games leading up to it.🤦🏻‍♂️ Does anyone need ANY more possible evidence that the Scottish players DO NOT GIVE A SHITE about playing for scotland and would rather be on a beach next summer. Absolutely disgraceful.

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

Serbia squeaking past Luxembourg tonight

I wonder how our lads will get on in one of their last possible warm ups for a home semi final to qualify for effectively a home tournament

Oh wait, they can't even be fucked turning up

Norway are at home for the other semi final. I'm fairly confident Norway will be in the final.

But the rest of your post is spot on.

Edited by Orraloon

10 hours ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

Serbia shipped two goals at home this evening to one of the worst teams in international football.

Let there be no doubt about it-this is the single best chance scotland will EVER get to qualify for a major tournament ever again. Add in that it’s effectively a home tournament with the carrot of playing England at Wembley.

We are preparing for all of this by fielding our B team in the games leading up to it.🤦🏻‍♂️ Does anyone need ANY more possible evidence that the Scottish players DO NOT GIVE A SHITE about playing for scotland and would rather be on a beach next summer. Absolutely disgraceful.

I fully expect them all to be there for the semi

Tierney Robertson Fraser etc

But how can they not have seen these as vital warm up games

How can they not understand that if we qualify the home games and Wembley v English will be the biggest games of their lives

Or on a par with a European cup final certainly

13 hours ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

Totall agree with you here players are arseholes. seemingly 3k going to cyprus for fukall but they cant be arsed. As I have previously said clarke does not have enough kudos or standing on game to deal with them or does his assistants. He and they might be good coaches but they certainly imo do not have backing of players. Getting kilmarnock 3rd is no big deal to players who see themselves as better. Strachan had gd career both player and manager as did Walter Smith as manager and they are only ones in last 20 years to have had any backing from players. I hope im wrong but clarke is same as levein which is a nobody!

5 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Totall agree with you here players are arseholes. seemingly 3k going to cyprus for fukall but they cant be arsed. As I have previously said clarke does not have enough kudos or standing on game to deal with them or does his assistants. He and they might be good coaches but they certainly imo do not have backing of players. Getting kilmarnock 3rd is no big deal to players who see themselves as better. Strachan had gd career both player and manager as did Walter Smith as manager and they are only ones in last 20 years to have had any backing from players. I hope im wrong but clarke is same as levein which is a nobody!

If that's what the players get paid for the trip it explains why no one from the SPL ever withdraws

7 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

3000 fans going i meant lol

Thought it might have been you that had paid £3k to go never thought there might be 3000 fans going.

Can't slate them as tourists, nearly went myself!

Be interesting to see if McKenna plays, or did he just fancy the sunshine

Edited by ceudmilefailte

On 11/13/2019 at 6:49 PM, ProudScot said:

If we do somehow scrape through these play offs, which we all would love but would be more unlikely than likely, it would be interesting to see what our squad for 2020 would be. 

By that point you’d expect Gilmour, McCrorie, Porteous, Johnston, Hornby etc to all be in the squad with a fair amount of dead wood cut out and a much more positive feel to everything. 

Porteous is not very good. He is just fashionable at the moment. 

That aside, history tells us that you cant win anything with kids...most of the time...

The fact that our best team have very few caps means our chances of getting pumped in every game in Euro2020 is very high. 

The thing is that this squad don't deserve to qualify anyway. Bar a few committed souls, it's peppered with shite cunts, who have done nothing to warrant the reward of a major championship and done everything to lose the support of the fans. 

Edited by Morrisandmoo

59 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Porteous is not very good. He is just fashionable at the moment. 

That aside, history tells us that you cant win anything with kids...most of the time...

The fact that our best team have very few caps means our chances of getting pumped in every game in Euro2020 is very high. 

The thing is that this squad don't deserve to qualify anyway. Bar a few committed souls, it's peppered with shite cunts, who have done nothing to warrant the reward of a major championship and done everything to lose the support of the fans. 

Porteous gets touted because we have nothing else in that position to rave about. We start to throw any name out there in hope they will turn good

Edited by vanderark14

21 hours ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

Serbs are a really funny team sometimes. It's a mentality problem with them I think. They drew 0-0 away to Portugal but then lost them 4-2 at home. Also lost 5-0 in Ukraine.

That said you look at Mitrovic and Tadic upfront and also creativity in midfield and there's no way whatever back 4 is put out in any potential match up is keeping a clean sheet v that.

Trouble is Norway are looking pretty good aswell in last six months. Got Lagerback who knows how to get teams to tournaments and they have Odegaard and Haaland in brilliant form. Would still prefer to play them v Serbia but looking like another glorious failure to me.

And of course need to get past the first play off although I'd fancy a win v Bulgaria or Israel at home.

Edited by Tartan Chris

3 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Well done Finland! A well deserved Euros for them and great to see a new nation involved at a tournament!

Can we join them? 🤣

Yes well done Finland but depressingly yet another country which has qualified for a tournament since 1998. I remember reading an article about Hearts in 90s titled "Supporting Scotland`s 13th/14th team" cause before 1998 there were 12 or 13 other clubs which had won league or a cup since Hearts`last win at the time. We must be about 25th in Europe maybe worse with Finland now, Latvia in 2004, Albania, Wales and NI  in 2016 etc.

Slight difference in attitude here

You would think it was Cyprus about to go into a home semi final for a home tournament

Cyprus, meanwhile, will be without Standard Liege defender Kostas Laifis through suspension

Cyprus captain Giorgos Merkis: "If we manage to finish third this will be a big step forward for the team. We are ready to give 100% to succeed in this target. I have been informed that 3,000 Scotland fans will be here despite the fact that they cannot finish in the top two.

"This is a good example for Cypriot fans - this is an example we have to follow to support our national team despite the standings

14 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Serbs are a really funny team sometimes. It's a mentality problem with them I think. They drew 0-0 away to Portugal but then lost them 4-2 at home. Also lost 5-0 in Ukraine.

That said you look at Mitrovic and Tadic upfront and also creativity in midfield and there's no way whatever back 4 is put out in any potential match up is keeping a clean sheet v that.

Trouble is Norway are looking pretty good aswell in last six months. Got Lagerback who knows how to get teams to tournaments and they have Odegaard and Haaland in brilliant form. Would still prefer to play them v Serbia but looking like another glorious failure to me.

And of course need to get past the first play off although I'd fancy a win v Bulgaria or Israel at home.

Yep Serbs notorious under performers. They have arguably had strongest squads in Eastern Europe, and far stronger than any Scotland side in the past 20 years. In reality they ended up under performing time and time again and have achieved no where near their Eastern European rivals. 

A tad harsh to describe Luxembourg as one of the worst teams in the world. They are ever-improving and rarely pumped these days (quite right too, they've a fairly big population for a small nation) and bang in the middle of Europe. Malta are another who should be better than what they are. I'd say Estonia, Latvia, and possibly Lithaunia are currently worse than Luxembourg. 

Serbia (a bit like Greece) seem to have qualifying campaign about and being absolutely honking or brilliant! 

I hope we get Bulgaria in the Playoff. They are in the doldrums right now on and off the pitch - although no doubt we'd find a way to give them their first win a 16 months though in March. 

On 11/14/2019 at 10:38 PM, Scotsdeutsch said:

Luxembourg are currently ranked higher than Cyprus, who we have struggled against home and away. Luxembourg are nowhere near one of the worst teams in international football. 

59 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Luxembourg are currently ranked higher than Cyprus, who we have struggled against home and away. Luxembourg are nowhere near one of the worst teams in international football. 

Okay Serbia shipped two goals to world class Luxembourg. Anyway losing two goals at home to Luxembourg is bad.

4 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

A tad harsh to describe Luxembourg as one of the worst teams in the world. They are ever-improving and rarely pumped these days (quite right too, they've a fairly big population for a small nation) and bang in the middle of Europe. Malta are another who should be better than what they are. I'd say Estonia, Latvia, and possibly Lithaunia are currently worse than Luxembourg. 

Serbia (a bit like Greece) seem to have qualifying campaign about and being absolutely honking or brilliant! 

I hope we get Bulgaria in the Playoff. They are in the doldrums right now on and off the pitch - although no doubt we'd find a way to give them their first win a 16 months though in March. 

Such an optimistic positive bunch scots are.