Euro 2020 Playoffs - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2020 Playoffs

The_Dark_Knight

Playoffs  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Where will we finish in the playoffs?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, Bonny79 said:

We have been in a rut since November 1999.  People in their 30s upwards are just depressed with it all. 

If you think it’s depressing being in your 30’s I’m 26 and I’ve never seen Scotland in a major tournament.

Because I’ve never seen it, it probably feels to me like it’s some far off dream that’ll never actually happen.

I actually worry that so many people around me and younger will be even more demoralised or even worse not even bothered than me at the moment.

4 hours ago, Terry Munro said:

Can someone explain to me why Bulgaria and Norway could potentially be in the playoffs with us when they were both in the same Nations League group, which Norway won?

Eh?

Israel could also be in the playoffs. They were in our group, which we won 

The playoffs are filled by the top 16 teams in the 2018 Nations League that don’t qualify for Euro 2020 automatically.

As most League A and B teams will qualify automatically, some teams that finished second (or even third for Leagues A and B ) will end up in the playoffs. 

11 hours ago, Terry Munro said:

Can someone explain to me why Bulgaria and Norway could potentially be in the playoffs with us when they were both in the same Nations League group, which Norway won?

Because Finland have qualified directly by getting second place in their group. Finland should have been our opponents in the play off, so one of the lower ranked League C needs to replace them. As it stands at present we will get either Bulgaria, Israel or Romania. Draw is on 22Nov. If Hungary don't get 2nd place in their qualifying group, they will take Romania's place in the draw. 

7 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Eh?

Israel could also be in the playoffs. They were in our group, which we won 

The playoffs are filled by the top 16 teams in the 2018 Nations League that don’t qualify for Euro 2020 automatically.

As most League A and B teams will qualify automatically, some teams that finished second (or even third for Leagues A and B ) will end up in the playoffs. 

Best description I've seen of it. Well explained.

Take Iceland and NI - both absolutely hopeless in their NL campaign ; lost all four of their games and finished dead last in Pot A and Pot B. 

Both are in the playoffs. That's the benefit of being a top side, especially an A side which pretty much guarantees you a playoff spot.

15 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Because Finland have qualified directly by getting second place in their group. Finland should have been our opponents in the play off, so one of the lower ranked League C needs to replace them. As it stands at present we will get either Bulgaria, Israel or Romania. Draw is on 22Nov. If Hungary don't get 2nd place in their qualifying group, they will take Romania's place in the draw. 

Sorry, the Hungary bit above isn't quite correct. If Hungary don't finish 2nd, they won't replace Romania but they will be added to the list of play off teams. So we could still get Bulgaria, Israel, Romania or Hungary, I think? I've confused myself now. But I'm pretty sure Romania are guaranteed a play off spot.

Guest ElChris04

I don’t expect us to qualify with the current crop of players untill Clarke has probably put his stamp in the team, and by then I feel it’ll be too late and onto the next tournament to have a crack at. Has Clarke been disappointing? Aye, but it really isn’t all his fault. But my stance right now is we’re getting knocked out in the first game I simply have zero faith in these players or know myself what system fits them. 

1 hour ago, ElChris04 said:

I don’t expect us to qualify with the current crop of players untill Clarke has probably put his stamp in the team, and by then I feel it’ll be too late and onto the next tournament to have a crack at. Has Clarke been disappointing? Aye, but it really isn’t all his fault. But my stance right now is we’re getting knocked out in the first game I simply have zero faith in these players or know myself what system fits them. 

Clarke beat Cyprus twice and did OK home game v Russia.   That not enough for ya? 

Portugal game was on in the pub so I sat through it.

Always felt Portugal would step it up and win but Luxembourg played very well throughout. Had plenty of corners and half chances from them. Pitch was s*** but really if Luxembourg and Cyprus were in same group I'd expect Cyprus to finish ahead of them so shows that bar the likes of Andorra and San Marino there isn't that many easy away games in the european section anymore.

20 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Portugal game was on in the pub so I sat through it.

Always felt Portugal would step it up and win but Luxembourg played very well throughout. Had plenty of corners and half chances from them. Pitch was s*** but really if Luxembourg and Cyprus were in same group I'd expect Cyprus to finish ahead of them so shows that bar the likes of Andorra and San Marino there isn't that many easy away games in the european section anymore.

We ll be fine v San Marino. 

We're in a quite bizarre situation.  If the euros were the same format as last time we'd be going into Tuesday's game needing a draw at home to Khazikstan to reach the playoffs!  We'd all be jumping the height of ourselves in excitement.  And that would be in a play off with a better team than we're likely to play in our guaranteed Nations league play off.  Yet the air of apathy regarding the position we're in and the chance we have to qualify is palpable! 

6 minutes ago, todd said:

We're in a quite bizarre situation.  If the euros were the same format as last time we'd be going into Tuesday's game needing a draw at home to Khazikstan to reach the playoffs!  We'd all be jumping the height of ourselves in excitement.  And that would be in a play off with a better team than we're likely to play in our guaranteed Nations league play off.  Yet the air of apathy regarding the position we're in and the chance we have to qualify is palpable! 

I don’t get the apathy either. Ok so we’ve hardly set the heather alight in this campaign but since Clarke took over we have beaten who we’ve been expected to beat and we’ve lost to who we’ve been expected to lose to. We have lost heavily but we won’t be playing anyone nearly as good as Belgium or even Russia in the playoffs.

We’ve clearly got problems but that doesn’t mean we can’t win two playoff matches against teams similar in quality to ourselves and make a tournament for the first time in 22 years.

In March we will be playing our biggest match (hopefully matches) since 2003. We need to get behind the team and fill Hampden to the gunnels and make it an intimidating place for whoever we get. 

26 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t get the apathy either. Ok so we’ve hardly set the heather alight in this campaign but since Clarke took over we have beaten who we’ve been expected to beat and we’ve lost to who we’ve been expected to lose to. We have lost heavily but we won’t be playing anyone nearly as good as Belgium or even Russia in the playoffs.

We’ve clearly got problems but that doesn’t mean we can’t win two playoff matches against teams similar in quality to ourselves and make a tournament for the first time in 22 years.

In March we will be playing our biggest match (hopefully matches) since 2003. We need to get behind the team and fill Hampden to the gunnels and make it an intimidating place for whoever we get. 

If and when we win the semi final, the apathy will disappear. 

I barely celebrate the goals nowadays, I can barely muster the passion to boo ryan jack and james Forrest. 😉😉

All that will change when we win the semi final and we are one match away from a finals, if we get to a finals it will hit fever pitch amongst all of us.