Starting line-up v Cyprus - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting line-up v Cyprus

mrniaboc

It's not easy to pick, but I think I'd go for something like this:

Marshall 

Palmer Devlin McKenna Taylor

Armstrong Jack McGregor McGinn Christie 

Naismith

1) No solid idea what shape to play those 5 midfielders in, but Jack sitting back and Christie in the hole behind Naismith would be a start. 

2) I'm not convinced by Devlin, but given the options, starting McKenna's regular defensive partner next to him seems like a reasonable idea. 

3) Naismith has to start and be given the captaincy for me. He's got great experience, loves playing for Scotland, and knows how to score for us. This young, underconfident, patchwork team needs someone like him on the pitch. 

Marshall

Devlin     McKenna

Forrest      Jack       Taylor

McGinn Armstrong

Christie

Burke     Naismith

If we've a limited number of defenders and full backs might as well play with as few as possible on the pitch...

20 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

I think this will be the team:

Marshall 

Palmer Devlin McKenna Taylor

Jack Mcgregor

Forrest  McGinn Christie 

Naismith

I think you're probably right. I think it's the wrong team to play tho.

Marshall
Palmer - Devlin - McKenna - Taylor
Shinnie - Armstrong
Christie - McGinn - Burke
Shankland

I think the back 4 kinda picks itself.
Armstrong is always a consistent performer and can break forward as you'd hope we will be doing. While Shinnie's defensively sound and the best option as stand-in captain.
Burke's pace cutting in off the left has looked a useful weapon before, strange to me that we never did it again and instead plonked him up to as a target man.
Christie's too good to leave out (tho we do regularly, who knows why)
McGinn's on form and hopefully will drive the side forward.
Shankland knows where the goal is and didn't do much wrong on his first start. Made good runs and got a goal.

2 hours ago, andyD said:

I think you're probably right. I think it's the wrong team to play tho.

Marshall
Palmer - Devlin - McKenna - Taylor
Shinnie - Armstrong
Christie - McGinn - Burke
Shankland

I think the back 4 kinda picks itself.
Armstrong is always a consistent performer and can break forward as you'd hope we will be doing. While Shinnie's defensively sound and the best option as stand-in captain.
Burke's pace cutting in off the left has looked a useful weapon before, strange to me that we never did it again and instead plonked him up to as a target man.
Christie's too good to leave out (tho we do regularly, who knows why)
McGinn's on form and hopefully will drive the side forward.
Shankland knows where the goal is and didn't do much wrong on his first start. Made good runs and got a goal.

Jack and Mcgregor in CM is much better than Shinnie and Armstrong.

1 minute ago, bigfingers said:

Jack and Mcgregor in CM is much better than Shinnie and Armstrong.

McGregor is a bit of a liability defensively and regularly disappears for Scotland.
I'm basically done with him in terms of patience.

I'm open to the possibility of Jack, but I haven't seen anything from him yet in dark blue that says "put me in".

5 minutes ago, andyD said:

McGregor is a bit of a liability defensively and regularly disappears for Scotland.
I'm basically done with him in terms of patience.

I'm open to the possibility of Jack, but I haven't seen anything from him yet in dark blue that says "put me in".

Shinnie wasnt even in the original squad no chance hes going to start ahead of jack,mcgregor or fleck.

21 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Shinnie wasnt even in the original squad no chance hes going to start ahead of jack,mcgregor or fleck.

No, i dont think he will That'd be my starting line up tho.

I think Clarke will play McGregor and Armstrong. McGregor will disappear again and Armstrong will get overrun and be criticised for his performance. McGregor will not have a word against him and be in the 11 for the next game.

Marshall

Palmer   Gallagher   McKenna  Taylor

Jack   McGregor  McGinn

Christie   Shankland   Forrest

Ideally we could play this like a 4-3-3 with 3 centre-mids that can keep a hold of the ball to keep us up the park. Hopefully to Christ we don't start McBurnie as imo he's a complete passenger. Don;t mind Naismith as a replacement level striker up top. As long as the midfielders are positionally aware enough to help the back 4 when we lose the ball then we could be ok. Lately we've been far too easy to break away against it's been hard to watch at times. Also wouldn't mind someone like an Armstrong in there who can drive with the ball from deep. If Jack doesn't start given the form he's in then he's never likely to start and no point constantly calling him up.

12 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

And Shinnie has? 😅😅

He's not had much opportunity, same as Jack, most just thrown on as a sub for the last 20. Bu when he has come on he's looked busy and full of energy, closed people down and done the defensive work you want a defensive mid to do.

Ok, it was Belgium, but hard to forget Jack taking just 7 minutes to hand the ball to Tielemans so Belgium could score a 3rd. He was lazy as well, leaving us outnumbered on at least one occasion as he casually jogged over. Yes we're 3-0 down, but he's not been on the pitch half an hour and he's not making an effort.

So.. when he's had an opportunity in his main position, he's been defensively suspect resulting in a goal, and not even putting a shift in, which is the minimum we should expect.

2 hours ago, andyD said:

He's not had much opportunity, same as Jack, most just thrown on as a sub for the last 20. Bu when he has come on he's looked busy and full of energy, closed people down and done the defensive work you want a defensive mid to do.

Ok, it was Belgium, but hard to forget Jack taking just 7 minutes to hand the ball to Tielemans so Belgium could score a 3rd. He was lazy as well, leaving us outnumbered on at least one occasion as he casually jogged over. Yes we're 3-0 down, but he's not been on the pitch half an hour and he's not making an effort.

So.. when he's had an opportunity in his main position, he's been defensively suspect resulting in a goal, and not even putting a shift in, which is the minimum we should expect.

So you don't want to give him a chance because of a disjointed friendly against Belgium 15 months ago where we made like 6/7 subs, are 3 nil down and no one has covered themselves in glory. Armstrong was poor in that game and has been poor anytime he's been given a chance since, which begs the question why him? I could also make this arguement about pretty much everyone in the squad. Outside of San marino, no Scotland player has really had a good performance since the nation's league.

2 hours ago, andyD said:

Jack has been extremely good this season. Arguably the best deeper lying CM in the Scottish league this season so far. Shinnie is barely getting a game at a lower quality level.

1 hour ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

So you don't want to give him a chance because of a disjointed friendly against Belgium 15 months ago

Pretty sure you don't read posts before writing whatever you feel like.

Read back up and and you'll seem me saying "I'm open to the possibility of Jack".
But you know, keep on just imagining your own reality. I'm sure it'll work out well.

16 minutes ago, andyD said:

Pretty sure you don't read posts before writing whatever you feel like.

Read back up and and you'll seem me saying "I'm open to the possibility of Jack".
But you know, keep on just imagining your own reality. I'm sure it'll work out well.

You're "open to the possibility" but choose someone else and used nonsense reasons to justify not selecting him ergo not giving him a chance. Point stands, you've chosen someone playing at a lesser level, who has only just broken into his side and hasn't exactly performed in a Scotland shirt. Shinnie shouldn't be near a Scotland squad, until he keeps his form and firmly establishes himself at derby, 6 or 7 games isn't enough. You've chosen Armstrong who has barely started a game and hasn't exactly thrived in a Scotland shirt recently.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

3 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

You're "open to the possibility" but choose someone else and used nonsense reasons to justify not selecting him ergo not giving him a chance. Point stands, you've chosen someone playing at a lesser level, who has only just broken into his side and hasn't exactly performed in a Scotland shirt. Shinnie shouldn't be near a Scotland squad, until he keeps his form and firmly establishes himself at derby, 6 or 7 games isn't enough. You've chosen Armstrong who has barely started a game and hasn't exactly thrived in a Scotland shirt recently.

oh i'm so bored i just can't even bring myself to reply to this. read my posts, i cover most of this already.

24 minutes ago, andyD said:

That's factually inaccurate tho, isn't it.

Started every one of Derby's last 6 games.
Broken into the side and stayed in the side.

He's only played 36% of Derby's league minutes. OK broke into the side recently but before then wasn't near the team. This is at a much lower level.

29 minutes ago, Dapo Mabude said:

He's only played 36% of Derby's league minutes. OK broke into the side recently but before then wasn't near the team. This is at a much lower level.

I think you're in the minority in thinking that the English championship is a "much lower level" than the Scottish Prem. If anything the opposite is true.

"Before that wasn't near the team" This is the 2nd time (out of 2) that you're just making things up. Prior to starting every game, he was involved in the matchday squad more often than he wasn't. Starting 2 cup games and on the bench for 5 other league games.

I look forward to you saying something that's actually true.
But you seem like you're just a massive Rangers fan-boy and so reality be damned eh.

42 minutes ago, andyD said:

I think you're in the minority in thinking that the English championship is a "much lower level" than the Scottish Prem. If anything the opposite is true.

Mid-table Championship is a significantly worse level than playing against Porto in the Europa League, yes. That's just obvious.

"Before that wasn't near the team" This is the 2nd time (out of 2) that you're just making things up. Prior to starting every game, he was involved in the matchday squad more often than he wasn't. Starting 2 cup games and on the bench for 5 other league games.

So we should be judging players in a more positive light for getting on the bench for a struggling team. Really? I haven't made anything up. He's played not even half of the league minutes - that's reality and that's what I exclusively deal in.

I look forward to you saying something that's actually true
But you seem like you're just a massive Rangers fan-boy and so reality be damned eh.

And if I had to hazard a guess you're an Aberdeen fan? Those people just renowned for the objectivity on the subject of Ryan Jack...

21 minutes ago, Dapo Mabude said:

Mid-table Championship is a significantly worse level than playing against Porto in the Europa League, yes. That's just obvious.

So we should be judging players in a more positive light for getting on the bench for a struggling team. Really? I haven't made anything up. He's played not even half of the league minutes - that's reality and that's what I exclusively deal in.

And if I had to hazard a guess you're an Aberdeen fan? Those people just renowned for the objectivity on the subject of Ryan Jack...

Rangers play relegation threatened Hamilton a lot more than they play Porto. Porto is not the average opposition Rangers face and you know it, you're just trying to fiddle reality yet again.

Lies, damn lie and statistics eh. "He's played not even half of the league minutes" good way to ignore the fact that it's difficult to stroll into the starting 11 of an established Championship side that competes for the playoffs every year. Shinnie's gone there, played his way into the team and stayed there. Your fact will no longer be true in a few weeks, so what will you say then? When you start appreciating context then you'll be worth talking and listening to. Till then.. oh well..

I've been to Aberdeen, but that's about as right as close to right as you have been about anything so far. Not an Aberdeen supporter.

As for on bjectivity on Jack.. I've said clearly why i'm not convinced he's fit for the defensive mid role. Laziness and being a liability in his only appearance in that position so far is not ideal. I've said I'm not against him playing, just that I think someone else would do a better job.

Sorry if that hurts your precious little Ranger heart, but this is a tartan army forum, not a rangers forum. So ultimately I don't really care about your blue tinted glasses.