The captaincy - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The captaincy

andyD

26 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Played a hell of a lot more than those three combined too.

And played at a higher level that all 3 too.

Naismith only has 9 goals in 49 appearances but as a team player, I'd say he offers more than the other 3 currently.

Russell has 1 goal in 14 games

McBurnie has 0 goals in 8 games

Shankland has 1 goal in 2 games

We've slim pickings but Naismith is the only one of the lot that has proven he's got a semi decent return at international level.

Kenny Miller was 18 in 69 appearances (0.26 goals per game), McCoist 19 in 61 appearances (0.31 goals per game) and Dalglish 30 in 102 appearances (0.29 goals a game) so Naismith at 0.19 goals per game is hardly pish by our standards and I'd be surprised if any of those 3 strikers ever get to 9 goals for us.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

If he starts, which I think he will, then Naismith should 100% be captain for the play offs.

I don’t think there’s any way Clarke will strip Robertson of the captaincy.

Robertson would need to step down I think and I can’t see that happening.

I really don’t think the captaincy makes a great deal of difference to be honest. Naismith can still be a leader on the park even if Robertson is wearing the armband.  

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I do.

Fancy a wager? 1k? 😂

Seriously though, why do you think that? I don’t get the impression that Clarke values the captaincy that much (although you’ll know better than me being a Killie fan) and stripping your best player (in theory at least) of the captaincy could lead Robertson taking the huff and not playing for us. 

Even if Robertson does lose the captaincy I doubt Clarke would hand it to Naismith on a permanent basis. I can’t see him getting more than a handful more caps to be honest. Especially if Griffiths ever comes back. 

7 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I do.

I've still got an open mind on Clarke. I'm not sure if he's going to be a good manager for us or not. If he gives the captaincy back to Robertson it will be weak management IMO. He needs to be strong and stick by that group of players who are starting to look like they really want to play for Scotland. 

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Fancy a wager? 1k? 😂

Seriously though, why do you think that? I don’t get the impression that Clarke values the captaincy that much (although you’ll know better than me being a Killie fan) and stripping your best player (in theory at least) of the captaincy could lead Robertson taking the huff and not playing for us. 

Even if Robertson does lose the captaincy I doubt Clarke would hand it to Naismith on a permanent basis. I can’t see him getting more than a handful more caps to be honest. Especially if Griffiths ever comes back. 

If he plays, I think Naismith will be captain. He's far more a leader than Robertson and I think the captaincy affects Robertson's performance. Naismith seems to thrive on that kind of responsibility.

Also, it wasn't Clarke that made Robertson captain.

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I've still got an open mind on Clarke. I'm not sure if he's going to be a good manager for us or not. If he gives the captaincy back to Robertson it will be weak management IMO. He needs to be strong and stick by that group of players who are starting to look like they really want to play for Scotland. 

I wouldn't say it would make hi, weak, it would go against popular opinion I'd think to keep Naismith captain.

34 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

How would showing loyalty to the existing captain be weak management?

On 11/12/2019 at 6:02 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

Any ones birthday coming up?

Also as Andy says playing Naismith should be a non starter.

In fact I'll go as far to say if he does start I'll never go to a another Scotland game until we have a new manager.

Just wondered if you're standing by this?

7 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Just wondered if you're standing by this?

Naismith did a lot better than I thought he would, but it's still pretty poor that we need to pick a player who had no future in the English championship a little over a year ago.

But credit were credit is due he does seem to find his best form when he needs to.

As for not going to a game, If I had a pound for every time I've said that I would have £2.00

17 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Naismith did a lot better than I thought he would, but it's still pretty poor that we need to pick a player who had no future in the English championship a little over a year ago.

But credit were credit is due he does seem to find his best form when he needs to.

As for not going to a game, If I had a pound for every time I've said that I would have £2.00

I'm amazed that you are surprised that a guy who's played well for us plenty of times over years, well, played well this double header.

Croatia at home when we won at Hampden with Naismith leading the line was probably the most complete performance from a Scotland striker. He ran them ragged.

My only concern is keeping him fit. What league you play in is immaterial IMO.

Burke plays in La Liga and McBurnie plays in the EPL and nether could lace Naismiths boots!

26 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'm amazed that you are surprised that a guy who's played well for us plenty of times over years, well, played well this double header.

Croatia at home when we won at Hampden with Naismith leading the line was probably the most complete performance from a Scotland striker. He ran them ragged.

My only concern is keeping him fit. What league you play in is immaterial IMO.

Burke plays in La Liga and McBurnie plays in the EPL and nether could lace Naismiths boots!

I thought he was past it, hands up I was wrong

Croatia was over 6 years ago to be fair