Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The_Dark_Knight

Andrew Robertson

Recommended Posts

He picked up a knock against Genk two weeks ago and has been playing with it.

Now seems a good time to rest it and get back to 100%.

Fair enough imo.

As for Tierney, he's obviously only just back from injury and probably a way of being 100% as evidenced by not playing the full 90 yet for Arsenal.

Not ideal to have them both missing, but both seem legit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, andyD said:

He picked up a knock against Genk two weeks ago and has been playing with it.

Now seems a good time to rest it and get back to 100%.

Fair enough imo.

As for Tierney, he's obviously only just back from injury and probably a way of being 100% as evidenced by not playing the full 90 yet for Arsenal.

Not ideal to have them both missing, but both seem legit.

Tierney has played a full 90 minutes for Arsenal, twice

He is fit to play football therefore he is fit to play for Scotland.

i agree with Robertson, at least he has traveled up to be with the squad

 

Edited by vanderark14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there's any doubt with Robertson.

Ironic though, we've got two very good left backs and none are available and the third who was highly-rated isn't even playing for Celtic.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Tierney has played a full 90 minutes for Arsenal, twice

Ah, I stand corrected!

3 times in fact. But all in the Europa League against trash sides. Not in the Premier League.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, g@un said:

Gutted to not have them for this squad, although happy for Taylor to have a go against so so opposition.

This. Just would have made more sense to have called up Barry Douglas as back up or a youngster like Aaron Hickey just to give him a taste of being in a squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Tierney has played a full 90 minutes for Arsenal, twice

He is fit to play football therefore he is fit to play for Scotland.

i agree with Robertson, at least he has traveled up to be with the squad

 

Tierney’s employer has asked the SFA not to select him so he can continue his recovery and the SFA have agreed. Tierney doesn’t have much of a say in it. 

Sure he could kick up a fuss and tell Arsenal that he wants to play in 2 meaningless games for Scotland but he’s trying to establish himself down there and probably doesn’t want to rock the boat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

Tierney’s employer has asked the SFA not to select him so he can continue his recovery and the SFA have agreed. Tierney doesn’t have much of a say in it. 

Sure he could kick up a fuss and tell Arsenal that he wants to play in 2 meaningless games for Scotland but he’s trying to establish himself down there and probably doesn’t want to rock the boat. 

 

or Tierneys employer has asked for him not to be selected because they don't want to risk their player. EPL clubs do this a lot because they don't want their players to be injured, understandable. He seems to have recovered enough to feature for arsenal regularly including 3 90 minute apeearances. Whether they are europe league or not is irrelevant, these are not friendlies, the opposition will be trying hard against a side like arsenal. 

He could join up with the squad and play one fixture because he is already established himself down there, its clear they rate him but he doesn't want to come and play. Arsenal won't stop playing him because he played for his country.

Where we also disagree is these games are not meaningless. Clarke gets minimal time with his team as it is and we have to finish 3rd with two wins to build momentum going into the playoffs. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

 

or Tierneys employer has asked for him not to be selected because they don't want to risk their player. EPL clubs do this a lot because they don't want their players to be injured, understandable. He seems to have recovered enough to feature for arsenal regularly including 3 90 minute apeearances. Whether they are europe league or not is irrelevant, these are not friendlies, the opposition will be trying hard against a side like arsenal. 

He could join up with the squad and play one fixture because he is already established himself down there, its clear they rate him but he doesn't want to come and play. Arsenal won't stop playing him because he played for his country.

Where we also disagree is these games are not meaningless. Clarke gets minimal time with his team as it is and we have to finish 3rd with two wins to build momentum going into the playoffs. 

 

If that was the case nobody from the EPL would play for Scotland again as all clubs would ask for their players not to be selected in case they got injured on international duty. I don’t disagree that Tierney should be in the squad by the way but I do understand why he isn’t. Doesn’t mean I like it.

We don’t have to finish third. We could lose our next two matches and still win the playoffs. I guarantee hardly anyone pulls out of the playoffs squad. A couple of wins would be good for our confidence though.

The reason I say the matches are meaningless is the playoffs are 4 months away. Anything Clarke does with the players over the next 2 weeks will be long forgotten by the time March comes around. 

The most important period Clarke will have with the players will be the week or so leading up to the first playoff match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

If that was the case nobody from the EPL would play for Scotland again as all clubs would ask for their players not to be selected in case they got injured on international duty. I don’t disagree that Tierney should be in the squad by the way but I do understand why he isn’t. Doesn’t mean I like it.

We don’t have to finish third. We could lose our next two matches and still win the playoffs. I guarantee hardly anyone pulls out of the playoffs squad. A couple of wins would be good for our confidence though.

The reason I say the matches are meaningless is the playoffs are 4 months away. Anything Clarke does with the players over the next 2 weeks will be long forgotten by the time March comes around. 

The most important period Clarke will have with the players will be the week or so leading up to the first playoff match.

It’s all very eye opening this though. Put yourself in tierneys position-you’ve just signed for this mega club and you want to impress the hierarchy and make all the right moves. Just imagine the looks he would have got if he told them “actually naw I’m off to play for Scotland “...The pressure these lads aren’t under not to get injured on international duty almost defeats the purpose of the whole fucking thing. They obviously have that at the back of their minds so play within themselves for their country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to Robertson

A champions league winner and now an EPL winner. He was an integral part of that team too.

Not often we have players winning at that level

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the English pundits last weekend said they couldn't currently think of a better left back in world football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, fringo said:

One of the English pundits last weekend said they couldn't currently think of a better left back in world football.

Yeah, it was Mark Lawrenson, so it carries a lot of weight because he almost never praises anyone haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Congrats to Robertson

A champions league winner and now an EPL winner. He was an integral part of that team too.

Not often we have players winning at that level

These days anyway.  Depressing recalling the times when we'd have at least a couple every season. 

However congratulations Robbo :ok:

 

Edited by Toepoke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

A few people in Liverpool think  Lucas Digne is better, before we get carried away with best in the world claims

Well done Robbo though, key part of one of the best club teams for a while

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

 

A few people in Liverpool think  Lucas Digne is better, before we get carried away with best in the world claims

Well done Robbo though, key part of one of the best club teams for a while

 

Damned by feint praise. Are you available for children's parties?

Edited by Tin Shed Jaggie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't be far off the best left back in the world, probably one of the best full backs in the world. Full backs tend to be under appreciated parts of a team and less deserving of world class status but robertson clearly is a world class full back and our only undisputable world class player since dalglish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Can't be far off the best left back in the world, probably one of the best full backs in the world. Full backs tend to be under appreciated parts of a team and less deserving of world class status but robertson clearly is a world class full back and our only undisputable world class player since dalglish. 

I tend to agree with this. A lot of people talk about the front 3 of Liverpool, but if you look at their attacking stats it's clear it's a 5 with Robbo and TAA providing a giant fraction of assists. Robbo is integral to that team's success, and he's the best footballer we have produced this century, so far...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great trivia question on Sportsound yesterday. 

Andy Robertson is only the 5th Scot to win an English Premier League medal. Who are the other 4?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Great trivia question on Sportsound yesterday. 

Andy Robertson is only the 5th Scot to win an English Premier League medal. Who are the other 4?

 

Good question. I can get three but struggling with a fourth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Great trivia question on Sportsound yesterday. 

Andy Robertson is only the 5th Scot to win an English Premier League medal. Who are the other 4?

 

Hendry, Gallacher, Fletcher,McClair?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

I tend to agree with this. A lot of people talk about the front 3 of Liverpool, but if you look at their attacking stats it's clear it's a 5 with Robbo and TAA providing a giant fraction of assists. Robbo is integral to that team's success, and he's the best footballer we have produced this century, so far...

The difference in the liverpool team when Robertson isn't playing is startling...they are no where near as good without him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Hendry, Gallacher, Fletcher,McClair?

I’d assume that’s correct 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Hendry, Gallacher, Fletcher,McClair?

That's what I thought too, but Gallacher didn't get a medal as he only played once for Blackburn the season they were champions (broke his leg in his first game back after a broken leg!)

The other 3 are correct though. 

 

 

Edited by Toepoke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...