Squad changes for Cyprus - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad changes for Cyprus

csinclair

1 minute ago, Tartan_McCole said:

You didn't mention when he played last. You said he hadn't joined up with the squad in the last year, which is incorrect.

Ah ok, turned up and then pulled out before the game..

https://www.fotmob.com/news/gt44b50lz3ol1l62bs916ag2d-tierney-joins-robertson-in-missing-kazakhstan-scotland

That's a total vindication of him then.

41 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

Nah, sorry but in Tierneys situation I don't think you do.

You're comparing Tierney's hip injury to McKenna's injury (hamstring tear I believe?  Correct me if i'm wrong) and they're obviously 2 completely different situations, Tierneys being far more serious and needing much more care and attention. I actually stated in my post that hip injuries can be a minefield and used Andy Murray who was out for nearly 2 years, even considering retirement, as an example .   

I'm not treating these games as meaning less as I'm well aware that they contribute to our coefficient and could have a bearing on our seeding for future qualifiers so I completely agree with you that it's a problem that there are certain players doing that!  You may have noticed I'm not providing a similar defence of Ryan Fraser! 

I disagree, however, that we should risk the fitness (and potentially career) of a player of Tierney's caliber for these 2 games.

While I agree there are plenty of happy clappers there are also far too many Scotland fans also have a track history of giving players far too much unwarranted stick.  I don't want another Gary McAllister situation where we're are deprived of a good player because fans go overboard with abuse

I though it was a hernia op, not a hip op he had? If it was a hop operation was it the same as Murray's?

We will have to agree to disagree here. He is fit enough to start and finish matches for Arsenal and play in another 3 or 4 matches, this means he is deemed as match fit but needs to rest conveniently when not one but two international breaks come round

18 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Not trying to let him off the hook at all. Merely pointing out that what you posted was false.

Umm.. i said " I'm pretty sure Tierney hasn't turned up to a squad this year"

How is that false? :D I was pretty sure he hadn't... It was 100% true.
Stop being daft.

11 minutes ago, andyD said:

Umm.. i said " I'm pretty sure Tierney hasn't turned up to a squad this year"

How is that false? :D I was pretty sure he hadn't... It was 100% true.
Stop being daft.

Travelling to Kazakhstan with the squad is the very definition of turning up to a squad. That he was injured and had to be papped off back home is an irrelevance.  If he made himself unavailable from the start and stayed in Glasgow then I'd accept your point.

You wanting him to tell the physio and his medical expertise to bolt?

Edited by Tartan_McCole

5 hours ago, kwhitelaw said:

Jesus wept, I'm as frustrated about the situation with Tierney as the rest of you but can we all get some fucking perspective please?!

The lad is just back playing from a serious hip injury which was exacerbated by playing far too many games over the last 2 seasons.  Hip injuries are are a bloody minefield at the best of times, just look at what Andy Murray has had to go through over the last 2 years with his!

Let him fully recover, the last thing we want is him fucking up his hip again against bloody Cyprus or Kazakhstan in games that essentially don't mean much (I know coefficients, finish 3rd, blah blah) and he's out again for the play offs.

If he plays regularly for Arsenal between now and the play offs in March and pulls out again with the same excuses, by all means rip him a new one, but i think we should cut him a bit of slack for now.

Rest a player in November for a game in March...are you serious? 

The idea that we can throw our best team together every couple of years, when a big game comes around...and expect to win, is hopelessly stupid. 

To suceed you need to prepare. For international football, especially for teams bereft of superstars, that means lots of caps in your starting 11. Yet here we have scotland fans lining up to say that one of the most important factors in maximising our potential for sucess is not very important. 

With attitudes like that our support deserve fuck all and that is exactly what we will get come March. And the reason for that is directly related to these cunts not turning up this week. But fuck it at least tierney will turn up fresh and ready for the glorius failure we have set up for ourselves - having been rested 4 months previous. 

And even if, by some miracle, we fluke two results we will be pumped from pillar to post at the euros with the most inexperienced and least committed team in the competition. 

9 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Travelling to Kazakhstan with the squad is the very definition of turning up to a squad. That he was injured and had to be papped off back home is an irrelevance.  If he made himself unavailable from the start and stayed in Glasgow then I'd accept your point.

You wanting him to tell the physio and his medical expertise to bolt?

The key words you're missing are.. "i'm pretty sure"
I wasn't stating fact, I was stating what i thought to be the case.
So nothing i said was false.

I was incorrect. I'm glad to be corrected.
but you don't need to be a petulant wee so and so about it.

My original point still stands and is just as valid as it was prior to this pointless intervention from yourself.

30 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I though it was a hernia op, not a hip op he had? If it was a hop operation was it the same as Murray's?

We will have to agree to disagree here. He is fit enough to start and finish matches for Arsenal and play in another 3 or 4 matches, this means he is deemed as match fit but needs to rest conveniently when not one but two international breaks come round

That was his most recent injury, the one that they're keeping an eye on and trying not to cause a recurrence of is the original Osteitis pubis injury in his hip. 

6 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Rest a player in November for a game in March...are you serious? 

The idea that we can throw our best team together every couple of years, when a big game comes around...and expect to win, is hopelessly stupid. 

To suceed you need to prepare. For international football, especially for teams bereft of superstars, that means lots of caps in your starting 11. Yet here we have scotland fans lining up to say that one of the most important factors in maximising our potential for sucess is not very important. 

With attitudes like that our support deserve fuck all and that is exactly what we will get come March. And the reason for that is directly related to these cunts not turning up this week. But fuck it at least tierney will turn up fresh and ready for the glorius failure we have set up for ourselves - having been rested 4 months previous. 

And even if, by some miracle, we fluke two results we will be pumped from pillar to post at the euros with the most inexperienced and least committed team in the competition. 

Lol!  No, that's not what I'm saying at all ffs!

Right I'll try to explain this a little clearer.  Tierney is managing a hip problem that he is not 100% recovered from, one that has ended careers in the past, google ex-Rangers player Scott Nisbet as an example.  Playing 2 or 3 games in a week right now is not a good idea as it could cause a recurrence of this injury.  If there were Scotland games in December, January or February he may well be ready by then but there aren't and right now, he isn't so he can't play for Scotland until March.  

Do we really want to risk, at best, a recurrence that keeps him out of the games in March or at worst ends his career at 23 years old?!!  No one within Arsenal or Scotland thinks its worth the risk.  He has plenty of caps and we know what he he is capable of so it's not like him coming back in March is some unknown risk to throw him into the starting line up.

Christ........

13 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

That was his most recent injury, the one that they're keeping an eye on and trying not to cause a recurrence of is the original Osteitis pubis injury in his hip. 

Lol!  No, that's not what I'm saying at all ffs!

Right I'll try to explain this a little clearer.  Tierney is managing a hip problem that he is not 100% recovered from, one that has ended careers in the past, google ex-Rangers player Scott Nisbet as an example.  Playing 2 or 3 games in a week right now is not a good idea as it could cause a recurrence of this injury.  If there were Scotland games in December, January or February he may well be ready by then but there aren't and right now, he isn't so he can't play for Scotland until March.  

Do we really want to risk, at best, a recurrence that keeps him out of the games in March or at worst ends his career at 23 years old?!!  No one within Arsenal or Scotland thinks its worth the risk.  He has plenty of caps and we know what he he is capable of so it's not like him coming back in March is some unknown risk to throw him into the starting line up.

Christ........

We are not asking for him to play 2-3 times a week. Ae are asking him to turn up for the national team to let Steve Clarke work with him alongside the rest of the squad. 

Plenty of caps? He has 12. 

And Scotland management have made it clear that it was not their decision and It has been wholly Aresnal and Tiermey's call. 

Premier league players are never 100% fit. The approach you are proposing vastly overestimes the risk of catastrophic injury and vastly underestinates the benefit of having your best team play together. 

Without a doubt i would have all my best players, who are playing for their club, in the national team...every single time. Even if that means catastrophic injury to one player every 50 years. Because that approach at least gives us a chance of qualifying. By imagaining these highly unlikely catastrophic scenarios we give ourselvea zero chance.of.sucess. But crack on  we will have a good group of fit failures come march. Briliant outcome. 

We really are a bunch of losers, completely unprepared to do the hard stuff it takes to win. 

48 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

We are not asking for him to play 2-3 times a week. Ae are asking him to turn up for the national team to let Steve Clarke work with him alongside the rest of the squad. 

Plenty of caps? He has 12. 

And Scotland management have made it clear that it was not their decision and It has been wholly Aresnal and Tiermey's call. 

Premier league players are never 100% fit. The approach you are proposing vastly overestimes the risk of catastrophic injury and vastly underestinates the benefit of having your best team play together. 

Without a doubt i would have all my best players, who are playing for their club, in the national team...every single time. Even if that means catastrophic injury to one player every 50 years. Because that approach at least gives us a chance of qualifying. By imagaining these highly unlikely catastrophic scenarios we give ourselvea zero chance.of.sucess. But crack on  we will have a good group of fit failures come march. Briliant outcome. 

We really are a bunch of losers, completely unprepared to do the hard stuff it takes to win. 

Aye he has 12 caps over which he has played left back, CB in a back 3 and right back, what’s left to discover?  If Clarke needs KT to be at the training sessions for these games to get an idea of how to work with him then he needs emptied ASAP and an actual manager found to replace him. But he doesn’t, he, like you rightly, wants his best 11 available to have the best chance of winning these games. He was being called up to play. We play Saturday and Wednesday and Arsenal play Southampton a week on Saturday so we were potentially asking KT to play 2-3 games in a week. Arsenal are quite right to protect their investment and ask that he doesn’t play.

unfortunately these next 2 games have no bearing at all on whether we qualify or not so I ask you again, what’s the point of risking it and potentially be without him in March?!

I hope to Christ Clarke doesn’t share your opinion that we should play guys carrying injuries regardless of the potentially disastrous outcome or no club would ever release their players to us again!

I honestly don't mind Tierney, Robertson, etc, missing the matches, especially if it means that we can give some game time to less experienced players. 

We don't play a competitive match (that means something) till the qualifiers to the 2022 World Cup, which i think begin in September 2020. So Steve Clarke has about 10 months to experiment.

The sooner the likes of Porteous, Johnson, Hornby and Gilmour get promoted to the senior team, the better. 

13 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I honestly don't mind Tierney, Robertson, etc, missing the matches, especially if it means that we can give some game time to less experienced players. 

We don't play a competitive match (that means something) till the qualifiers to the 2022 World Cup, which i think begin in September 2020. So Steve Clarke has about 10 months to experiment.

The sooner the likes of Porteous, Johnson, Hornby and Gilmour get promoted to the senior team, the better. 

I get that but finishing 4th in this group would be a disaster we can ill afford.

17 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I get that but finishing 4th in this group would be a disaster we can ill afford.

Are we likely to drop down into the 4th pot for the WC draw if we finish 4th? 

We could draw with Cyprus and win against Kazakhstan and still finish 4th but I wouldn’t have thought those results would see us drop out of the 3rd pot

28 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Are you talking about the possibility of dropping down to pot 4?

I get your point, but I don't think it really matters all that much. There's three points seperating us, Cyprus and Kazakhstan, so I don't think it'll make matters that much worse, even if we did drop a pot.

Don't really give a shit what pot we are in, you still have to finish above the 1st or 2nd seed so unless the 3rd seed is on a massive upgrade it makes no odds.

Slightly more on topic, how many squads has McBurnie pulled out of?

Any one who says not enough should go back to playing with crayons and leave their keyboards to the adults.

1 hour ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Why are you continuing to troll about this?

We have a decent chance of qualifying for the 2020 Euros through the play offs.

The team we play at home in the play-offs are going to be weaker than us, this is a game we will be favourites for. Therefore, we are more than likely going to play a one off game to reach the the finals. 

If we reach that one off game we’ll be as close to a major tournament since 1998. 

But yeah, let’s experiment in these ties...who cares about reaching Euro 2020. 

1 minute ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Why are you continuing to troll about this?

We have a decent chance of qualifying for the 2020 Euros through the play offs.

The team we play at home in the play-offs are going to be weaker than us, this is a game we will be favourites for. Therefore, we are more than likely going to play a one off game to reach the the finals. 

If we reach that one off game we’ll be as close to a major tournament since 1998. 

But yeah, let’s experiment in these ties...who cares about reaching Euro 2020. 

Troll?

If you don't agree with me, just respect my opinion and move on. Don't spout lazy labels around.

3 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Stating that we don’t have competitive fixtures until the World Cup qualifiers isn’t an opinion. It’s wrong. 

You're wrong. Here's what I said:

2 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

We don't play a competitive match (that means something) till the qualifiers to the 2022 World Cup,

4 hours ago, kwhitelaw said:

Aye he has 12 caps over which he has played left back, CB in a back 3 and right back, what’s left to discover?  If Clarke needs KT to be at the training sessions for these games to get an idea of how to work with him then he needs emptied ASAP and an actual manager found to replace him. But he doesn’t, he, like you rightly, wants his best 11 available to have the best chance of winning these games. He was being called up to play. We play Saturday and Wednesday and Arsenal play Southampton a week on Saturday so we were potentially asking KT to play 2-3 games in a week. Arsenal are quite right to protect their investment and ask that he doesn’t play.

unfortunately these next 2 games have no bearing at all on whether we qualify or not so I ask you again, what’s the point of risking it and potentially be without him in March?!

I hope to Christ Clarke doesn’t share your opinion that we should play guys carrying injuries regardless of the potentially disastrous outcome or no club would ever release their players to us again!

Cyprus means as much as every other game for the reasons i have said. Having your best team on the park today is the thing that makes you successful tomorrow. It is the fucking thing. I also dont think getting pumped from cyprus will be good fkr morale. 

Events this week means we are already fucked for the play offs. 

Arsenal can get fucked as far as i am concerned, but good to know you are looking out for them.

Edited by Morrisandmoo