Squad changes for Cyprus - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad changes for Cyprus

csinclair

1 hour ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

He missed Kazakhstan because of a knee injury he got in 2015, 4 years ago.

Ive no idea what the state of his knee is now but the layman medic in me thinks surely it’s back to full levels of fitness?

Aah, got ye now 👍

1 hour ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

😂😂 Spineless rat. You really need to get a bit perspective in your life if a player calling off from a football game gets you that worked up. 

Fuck sake, no this shite patter. My perspective or lack thereof is neither here nor there. Whether i am worked up is equally irrelevant. 

In my book, turning your back on your national team is disgraceful. End of. 

Read Andy Robertson’s interview this morning. I’m not really satisfied that he couldn’t play apart of the squad. Ok he has a niggle, but he’s clearly just resting because he thinks he’ll have to play a lot of games for Liverpool in the Christmas period. 

He even came out with this statement: 

‘The fact my ankle has swollen up again has made it easier to miss these games.’

He obviously didn’t want to play even if he didn’t have this knock. This doesn’t send out a good message at all. 

Almost the same situation with Tierney and I expect Fraser too. 

5 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

‘The fact my ankle has swollen up again has made it easier to miss these games.’

What an odd statement for a player to make. He makes himself sound like 'it's great I've got this injury, I've an excuse to pull out now'.

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

10 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Im now even more raging at Tierney. He has let his country down big time. Should be ashamed of himself. 

Never had him down as a spineless rat...but there you go. 

10 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

No no no hes getting himself right for March and focusing on settling in at arsenal 😂. We should just accept it

Our support really has lost its bottle if we are buying that bull shit.

Jesus wept, I'm as frustrated about the situation with Tierney as the rest of you but can we all get some fucking perspective please?!

The lad is just back playing from a serious hip injury which was exacerbated by playing far too many games over the last 2 seasons.  Hip injuries are are a bloody minefield at the best of times, just look at what Andy Murray has had to go through over the last 2 years with his!

Let him fully recover, the last thing we want is him fucking up his hip again against bloody Cyprus or Kazakhstan in games that essentially don't mean much (I know coefficients, finish 3rd, blah blah) and he's out again for the play offs.

If he plays regularly for Arsenal between now and the play offs in March and pulls out again with the same excuses, by all means rip him a new one, but i think we should cut him a bit of slack for now.

3 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

Jesus wept, I'm as frustrated about the situation with Tierney as the rest of you but can we all get some fucking perspective please?!

The lad is just back playing from a serious hip injury which was exacerbated by playing far too many games over the last 2 seasons.  Hip injuries are are a bloody minefield at the best of times, just look at what Andy Murray has had to go through over the last 2 years with his!

Let him fully recover, the last thing we want is him fucking up his hip again against bloody Cyprus or Kazakhstan in games that essentially don't mean much (I know coefficients, finish 3rd, blah blah) and he's out again for the play offs.

If he plays regularly for Arsenal between now and the play offs in March and pulls out again with the same excuses, by all means rip him a new one, but i think we should cut him a bit of slack for now.

I agree, and if he returns for a successful couple of play off games then who will be complaining?

25 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

I have some sympathy for this argument, although it wouldn’t happen if he was English. Robertson’s statement I find deeply worrying. International football is a luxury for these players and it seems they’re only committed when it suits them. 

23 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

I agree, and if he returns for a successful couple of play off games then who will be complaining?

Exactly. Needs as much rest in between games as possible. And Robertson? Ffs why interpret his words so negatively? He’s clearly shown massive commitment in the past. Did he not fly against medical advice not that long ago? His wording was possibly unfortunate but only if we are looking for issues? His ankle is swollen. He needs to recover. Yes, the nature of the games may be influencing some decisions but I’m in the camp of seeing who pulls out in the new year when it really matters. If a break now sets up some players to rest some niggles which in turn makes it more likely they will be fit come the play-offs then I’d say the players and manager are being sensible and expedient. 

5 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I have some sympathy for this argument, although it wouldn’t happen if he was English. Robertson’s statement I find deeply worrying. International football is a luxury for these players and it seems they’re only committed when it suits them. 

You think Southgate & Arsenal would risk a further hip injury to a £30m player in 2 games that wouldn't matter a jot to qualification?  Not a chance.   

I agree Robertson's statement seems worrying, but it think it's probably being a case of needing to choose his words more carefully.  I don't doubt his commitment at all either.

12 hours ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

It’s absolutely spot on this. It’s clear as day this is happening. There is an elephant in the room here. Come on isn’t it obvious???! 

I say we introduce tighter call off rules. We should grade each call off on merit. If it’s an actual injury then fine. However in Tierneys case-he’s clearly fit to play for Arsenal that should be a strike. Three strikes and you’re banned. Permanently.

So, you're idea to stop players pulling out of games is to just ban them permanently? I don't think that is quite going to have the desired outcome you were after.

1 hour ago, kwhitelaw said:

I have plenty fucking perspective thanks

Tierney was given slack for missing games last month because he was just back from injury. He is not just back from injury, he is playing regular football for his club but playing two more or even one more international match is some how going to set him back. I think the reason you are willing to give him slack is you feel these matches are meaningless, I don't. Treating friendlies and latter qualifications matches as meaningless is a big problem IMO. It doesn't give the manager enough time with the players he wants to work with, he basically has a different set of players available for games that matter because certain players can now be bothered to play because its a match they deem important enough

Its been said already, Mckenna is just back from injury as is Devlin. Should they have been given a break? 

If anything our support gives our players far too much slack. You look at other nations, their players turn up and want to fight for a place. We have allowed the rot to set in, its started as soon as McLliesh gave players a break prior to the south american tour. I really hoped things would change with Clarke but alas not, picking and choosing seems to be acceptable. 

We've gone from being a support that got annoyed with players playing for their club the weekend after pulling out of a scotland squad to accepting players picking and choosing their games. Its little wonder our players have limited caps

As for the other call offs, I believe MCTominey is injured, he was stretchered off, that would be some act if he wasn't. I'm not too sure if Fraser and Robertson is in that category or not, it may have been a bad choice of words with Robertson but what if he did mean it? 

IT would be one of hell of a coincidence if 4 of our 5 best players were injured at the same time. 

Edited by vanderark14

15 hours ago, slasher said:

I totally get why Tierney has been getting it tight but this cunt is just as bad

I'm pretty sure Tierney hasn't turned up to a squad this year and last played in the loss to Israel.

Fraser has been available for 9 of the 10 games since Tierney last turned up.

Both as bad as each other.

That Robbo quote makes more sense in context:

“I don’t care what game it is, I want to play it and my track record in the last five years has shown that. But I don’t want to pick up more injuries and ruin my season because of it.

“The games in March are so big for us and will decide whether we go to a major tournament or not so we all have to be fully fit and fully firing and hopefully confident after these two results."

“The call has been made and it has been taken out of my hands. It hurts as captain to miss out but I’ve had to be selfish for the first time in my career and let my body rest.

“I’ve had to listen to the people around me when previously I would have told them to beat it. The fact my ankle has swollen up again has made it easier to miss these games."

“For the last two and a half weeks I’ve not trained at all for Liverpool. I’ve trained the day before a game, missed a Champions League game other than the last 15 minutes against Genk and missed Arsenal in the League Cup.

“It’s a niggling injury which won’t go away unless I give it time. If you know Liverpool and our schedule we don’t have time and after suffering another knock against Man City on Sunday it has gotten worse.

“My ankle was already injured but Rodri tackled me late on in the middle of the park against Manchester City and it opened my ankle up again.

“I was already a doubt but unfortunately that made it even worse and that sealed it. I probably knew that just as it happened.

“For me, when I look back at my career so far I’ve played games I probably shouldn’t have due to injuries and I’ve maybe been lucky not to make it worse.

“I am paid to play football and love playing football but if I keep playing this ankle is going to get worse and will be no use to anyone sitting on a treatment table.

“I said to the manager after the Genk game that the manager at Liverpool didn’t want to take a chance and would put me on the bench.

“The manager knew I was a doubt due to the concerns of my club but I told him I would be up with the lads before the team flies out to Cyprus.”

I feel sorry for Steve Clarke, he's going into games with a shell of a side and  people are expecting us to get 6 points out of 6. No Griffiths, Fraser  Robertson, Tierney, McTominay and not even a half decent centre half and that includes McKenna.

19 minutes ago, csinclair said:

That Robbo quote makes more sense in context:

“I don’t care what game it is, I want to play it and my track record in the last five years has shown that. But I don’t want to pick up more injuries and ruin my season because of it.

“The games in March are so big for us and will decide whether we go to a major tournament or not so we all have to be fully fit and fully firing and hopefully confident after these two results."

“The call has been made and it has been taken out of my hands. It hurts as captain to miss out but I’ve had to be selfish for the first time in my career and let my body rest.

“I’ve had to listen to the people around me when previously I would have told them to beat it. The fact my ankle has swollen up again has made it easier to miss these games."

“For the last two and a half weeks I’ve not trained at all for Liverpool. I’ve trained the day before a game, missed a Champions League game other than the last 15 minutes against Genk and missed Arsenal in the League Cup.

“It’s a niggling injury which won’t go away unless I give it time. If you know Liverpool and our schedule we don’t have time and after suffering another knock against Man City on Sunday it has gotten worse.

“My ankle was already injured but Rodri tackled me late on in the middle of the park against Manchester City and it opened my ankle up again.

“I was already a doubt but unfortunately that made it even worse and that sealed it. I probably knew that just as it happened.

“For me, when I look back at my career so far I’ve played games I probably shouldn’t have due to injuries and I’ve maybe been lucky not to make it worse.

“I am paid to play football and love playing football but if I keep playing this ankle is going to get worse and will be no use to anyone sitting on a treatment table.

“I said to the manager after the Genk game that the manager at Liverpool didn’t want to take a chance and would put me on the bench.

“The manager knew I was a doubt due to the concerns of my club but I told him I would be up with the lads before the team flies out to Cyprus.”

Good post. I was thinking even when I read the statement I out of context that was probably what he was meaning. Context is important! 

1 hour ago, mrniaboc said:

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but this article did give me a chuckle - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/50389854

The headline is that Dyer says the players who have pulled out are genuinely injured. Then later on in the article is says that Dyer does not know the details of their injuries hahaha. 

Seems fairly obvious he's meaning no one has asked not to be selected and just pretending to be injured to avoid saying it in the press. The guys who are out are out for this squad and are expected back for the next.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I have plenty fucking perspective thanks

Tierney was given slack for missing games last month because he was just back from injury. He is not just back from injury, he is playing regular football for his club but playing two more or even one more international match is some how going to set him back. I think the reason you are willing to give him slack is you feel these matches are meaningless, I don't. Treating friendlies and latter qualifications matches as meaningless is a big problem IMO. It doesn't give the manager enough time with the players he wants to work with, he basically has a different set of players available for games that matter because certain players can now be bothered to play because its a match they deem important enough

Its been said already, Mckenna is just back from injury as is Devlin. Should they have been given a break? 

If anything our support gives our players far too much slack. You look at other nations, their players turn up and want to fight for a place. We have allowed the rot to set in, its started as soon as McLliesh gave players a break prior to the south american tour. I really hoped things would change with Clarke but alas not, picking and choosing seems to be acceptable. 

We've gone from being a support that got annoyed with players playing for their club the weekend after pulling out of a scotland squad to accepting players picking and choosing their games. Its little wonder our players have limited caps

As for the other call offs, I believe MCTominey is injured, he was stretchered off, that would be some act if he wasn't. I'm not too sure if Fraser and Robertson is in that category or not, it may have been a bad choice of words with Robertson but what if he did mean it? 

IT would be one of hell of a coincidence if 4 of our 5 best players were injured at the same time. 

Nah, sorry but in Tierneys situation I don't think you do.

You're comparing Tierney's hip injury to McKenna's injury (hamstring tear I believe?  Correct me if i'm wrong) and they're obviously 2 completely different situations, Tierneys being far more serious and needing much more care and attention. I actually stated in my post that hip injuries can be a minefield and used Andy Murray who was out for nearly 2 years, even considering retirement, as an example .   

I'm not treating these games as meaning less as I'm well aware that they contribute to our coefficient and could have a bearing on our seeding for future qualifiers so I completely agree with you that it's a problem that there are certain players doing that!  You may have noticed I'm not providing a similar defence of Ryan Fraser! 

I disagree, however, that we should risk the fitness (and potentially career) of a player of Tierney's caliber for these 2 games.

While I agree there are plenty of happy clappers there are also far too many Scotland fans also have a track history of giving players far too much unwarranted stick.  I don't want another Gary McAllister situation where we're are deprived of a good player because fans go overboard with abuse