Squad changes for Cyprus - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad changes for Cyprus

csinclair

1 minute ago, er yir macaroon said:

What’s wrong with Ryan Fraser this time? 

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/18030518.afc-bournemouth-winger-ryan-fraser-scotland-squad-due-knee-injury/

A knee injury according to this.

Are we really this unlucky that our star player, all four of them are not able to play this weekend? I don't think some of us can be blamed for taking the cynical approach

2 hours ago, wee-toon-red said:

I'd start Naismith and make him captain. The rest of them could learn a lot from his commitment and desire.

Absolutely support that. He brings much more to a team than just his ability, just look at Hearts over the past year. With all his injuries it's a credit to him.

He obviously rates Devlin - all the squad inclusions and chucking him in Russia - so I'd imagine we'll see McKenna & Devlin together.

Porteus has looked decent the few times I've seen him. He was excellent away to Czech Rep U21s. A real no-nonsense lad who marshaled his defence. He specifically told George Johnston (who had been booked) and was mouthing off to basically STFU and get back to defending and see out the last 5-6 mins as a team and get the point.

3 hours ago, JECK said:

As someone mentioned it appears big English clubs can bribe players into quitting altogether. In the fullness I could see the big champions league regular clubs breaking away to form their own compettion and as a condition banning their players from international call ups.

It’s absolutely spot on this. It’s clear as day this is happening. There is an elephant in the room here. Come on isn’t it obvious???! 

I say we introduce tighter call off rules. We should grade each call off on merit. If it’s an actual injury then fine. However in Tierneys case-he’s clearly fit to play for Arsenal that should be a strike. Three strikes and you’re banned. Permanently.

We definitely suffer from call offs like Wales and NI did in their wilderness years. When players are feeling knocks, they see a failing national team and think "nah fuck turning up for that". It doesn't help that more often than not, the SFA accept the sob stories from the clubs.

As soon as the SFA made turning up more optional under McLeish, we have seen the call off culture creep in. Ultimately it has been endemic over this campaign and unless we get on top of it, this will continue for a long time. The only way we can do it is to call players up and assess them ourselves where dubiety exists.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Didn't he miss matches in March because of a plastic pitch?

25 years old with only 11 caps

1 hour ago, slasher said:

Kazakhstan away wasnt 4 year ago... 

He missed Kazakhstan because of a knee injury he got in 2015, 4 years ago.

Ive no idea what the state of his knee is now but the layman medic in me thinks surely it’s back to full levels of fitness?

50 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

We definitely suffer from call offs like Wales and NI did in their wilderness years. When players are feeling knocks, they see a failing national team and think "nah fuck turning up for that". It doesn't help that more often than not, the SFA accept the sob stories from the clubs.

As soon as the SFA made turning up more optional under McLeish, we have seen the call off culture creep in. Ultimately it has been endemic over this campaign and unless we get on top of it, this will continue for a long time. The only way we can do it is to call players up and assess them ourselves where dubiety exists.

If it was optional under McLeish then it seemed to be a requirement to call off under Burley. Did we not pick up someone in an airport in London on way to Japan (?) as we had so many call offs?

4 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Im now even more raging at Tierney. He has let his country down big time. Should be ashamed of himself. 

Never had him down as a spineless rat...but there you go. 

No no no hes getting himself right for March and focusing on settling in at arsenal 😂. We should just accept it

Our support really has lost its bottle if we are buying that bull shit.

5 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Im now even more raging at Tierney. He has let his country down big time. Should be ashamed of himself. 

Never had him down as a spineless rat...but there you go. 

😂😂 Spineless rat. You really need to get a bit perspective in your life if a player calling off from a football game gets you that worked up. 

Just now, vanderark14 said:

No no no hes getting himself right for March and focusing on settling in at arsenal 😂. We should just accept it

Our support really has lost its bottle if we are buying that bull shit.

Maybe it’s just my complete lack of apathy about the whole set up and situation that I can’t get myself worked up about anyone calling off. It is what it is. If he/they don’t want to play and rest up then folks fuming about it isn’t going to change the situation. More important things to worry about than some football players with blasé attitudes to Scotland. 

Just now, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Maybe it’s just my complete lack of apathy about the whole set up and situation that I can’t get myself worked up about anyone calling off. It is what it is. If he/they don’t want to play and rest up then folks fuming about it isn’t going to change the situation. More important things to worry about than some football players with blasé attitudes to Scotland. 

Whos fuming, I've given an opinion as have you. We disagree, that doesnt mean I'm fuming. If anything I'm close to laughing at how pathetic the sfa are in allowing the team we all followed to get this bad.

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Whos fuming, I've given an opinion as have you. We disagree, that doesnt mean I'm fuming. If anything I'm close to laughing at how pathetic the sfa are in allowing the team we all followed to get this bad.

Plenty people are, here and on FB. Rats and traitors. Didn’t mean you specifically. I used to get worked up about it myself but thankfully apathy took over.

3 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Plenty people are, here and on FB. Rats and traitors. Didn’t mean you specifically. I used to get worked up about it myself but thankfully apathy took over.

Let them vent, there was a time we all took football that seriously.