Matt Ritchie. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Matt Ritchie.

marinello

So he has decided to call time on his international career!!!

No loss whatsoever imho.

He represents the worst example of picking and choosing his national games whilst continuing to play for his club side.

I still seethe at his decision to pull out of the Slovakia/ Slovenia double header " as a precaution" but still managed to play for Newcastle a few days later. My seethe worsens as I believe he could easily have been the difference in getting us to the play offs rather than drawing against the Slovenes.

On separate point I do hope the ' press' report that Clarke asked him to come back is pish. For all that I appreciate Clarke should look at all possible options to improve the squad,  any approach to a character like Ritchie would lessen my regard for the manager.

If we get to EURO 2020 I wonder if Ritchie may reconsider🤔

Aye seen that this morning, no great loss and as you say a perfect example of picking and choosing. 

... That was some goal he scored against Poland, though. What a hit. 

No huge loss, as I always thought his lack of pace really hindered him at international football, but his dead ball ability and how he was able to create something from absolutely nothing is arguably the best I have seen since Faddy.

Not really a part of the squad for a long time.

Not well liked, which i imagine made it an easy decision.

Not going to be missed as a result.

Seemed a decent player at times, but just didn't suit the way we need to play. Our center mid doesn't seem able to maintain possession and so we can't really hold the ball properly. So we need to play on the break, and his lack of pace makes him basically useless for that. Comparing him wit Anya, it was easy to see which one made the impact despite Anya not being very good at kicking a football.

34 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Personally, I think we need all the options we can get so never happy to see players quit early.  

Matt Ritchie is probably the point you’d draw the line on that.

Used Scotland for his CV to further his club career.

Has shown zero interest for a long time, and not to sound xenophobic, but he’s not even Scottish.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

Given his performances for us, i'd avoid mentioning it if i were him!

I would tend to agree.

He moved from Premier League Bournemouth to Championship Newcastle the transfer window after making his debut. Possibly for more money. Given many English clubs are reluctant to release players for international football then I think its not exactly a big negotiating point when the next contract talks came round. Peter Grant claimed a player was offered a raise if he gave up international football.

19 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I would tend to agree.

He moved from Premier League Bournemouth to Championship Newcastle the transfer window after making his debut. Possibly for more money. Given many English clubs are reluctant to release players for international football then I think its not exactly a big negotiating point when the next contract talks came round. Peter Grant claimed a player was offered a raise if he gave up international football.

Tierney?

5 hours ago, adamntg said:

Thought he pretty good in Eastenders but didn't think much of his game show work.

To be fair, I thought his performance in the panto at Milton Keynes theatre last Christmas was above average.

9 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Matt Ritchie is probably the point you’d draw the line on that.

Used Scotland for his CV to further his club career.

Has shown zero interest for a long time, and not to sound xenophobic, but he’s not even Scottish.

If you're playing for a decent nation going to tournaments, I could see that but we are the complete opposite of that. Sadly these days England hopeful looks better on your CV than Scotland international. 

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Has fletcher followed suit and announced his retirement or is he still focusing on establishing himself in the Sheffield Wednesday team?

Fletch has been fit and 1st choice at Wednesday for over a year now.

No word on his international status. Not sure why the press haven't asked.