Smoking.. - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I dont mind sharing that I have been a casual smoker for over 30 years. So 1 month ago today, I stopped. Do not know why. I lit one up having a pint, and just threw it down. Never done that before. So it has been I month now I have not smoked, hopefully I'll never go back. I have been out having drinks since that day, and have absolutely no craving, which is strange because whenever I have just 1 drink, I want a cigarette. Something just clicked in me that day. My wife is happy, obviously. Anyone who smoked ever had this happen to them, and did you quit all together? 

I've never smoked, but I have a pal who only smokes after a few drinks. Are you the same, Ramy? I am always curious of this, is there something in the drink that makes you thick 'Aye, feck it , why no?' Was at a wedding with him in the summer and said he hadn't smoked for about 6 months and then bang after 4 pints, he had about 6-7 the whole night.

I wonder if its the social aspect of it too? My drinking days have mostly been confined to smoke-less pubs, so its all I have ever known - folk going out for one - wonder if it's that, and heard of stories of all the interesting folk are outside smoking.

5 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

I've never smoked, but I have a pal who only smokes after a few drinks. Are you the same, Ramy? I am always curious of this, is there something in the drink that makes you thick 'Aye, feck it , why no?' Was at a wedding with him in the summer and said he hadn't smoked for about 6 months and then bang after 4 pints, he had about 6-7 the whole night.

I wonder if its the social aspect of it too? My drinking days have mostly been confined to smoke-less pubs, so its all I have ever known - folk going out for one - wonder if it's that, and heard of stories of all the interesting folk are outside smoking.

Spot on pal. I WAS a social smoker, but more  than normal. I would smoke when I was out having pints, golfing, and after playing football with the boys etc. I could go a week without smoking then smoke half a pack in the one night. Strange, but I have couple pals that are the same. I also have pals that smoke a pack a day. Hopefully that's it for me. One thing though mate, I never, ever smoked in front of my boys. 

1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Still off them, back in the gym, 5 workouts a week. Feeling great... 👍

Good for you Ramy. I have never smoked but have seen first hand how difficult it is to give up so keep going. 

My mum died of COPD and Emphysema directly related to smoking and my sister continues to smoke despite watching my mums health deteriorate badly the last few years of her life.

My sister has been told she may be developing the same disease despite only being in her mid  40’s. It financially cripples her too. 
She is trying to give up but is finding it very difficult. 

From what I have heard Farcity is right, when you really want to stop you will, and probably never go back . Keep yourself busy with the gym and other distractions. Good luck 👍