Penalty Saves by Scotland Goalies - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Penalty Saves by Scotland Goalies

ErsatzThistle

Timewasting thread of the day. Doon the years, which of our keepers have saved from penalty kicks ?

Two that I know of were:

2002 vs Portugal - Figo. Saved by Rab Douglas.

2008 vs Northern Ireland - Healy. Saved by Alan McGregor.

Anymore from down the years where our keeper saved one*.

*Doesn't count if it hit the post, went wide or over.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Timewasting thread of the day. Doon the years, which of our keepers have saved from penalty kicks ?

Two that I know of were:

2002 vs Portugal - Figo. Saved by Rab Douglas.

2008 vs Northern Ireland - Healy. Saved by Alan McGregor.

Anymore from down the years where our keeper saved one*.

*Doesn't count if it hit the post, went wide or over.

Jim Leighton in Iceland, 1985.

On 11/8/2019 at 3:18 PM, daviebee said:

Jim Leighton in Iceland, 1985.

massively significant save at the time ; really dire game , we had to win to stay in contention to qualify for wc86

jim bett scored near the endĀ 

dont think i ever saw Leighton save a pen for Dons/Scotland aside from that one ?

and that nasty yellow kit / short combo

8 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

massively significant save at the time ; really dire game , we had to win to stay in contention to qualify for wc86

dont think i ever saw Leighton save a pen for Dons/Scotland aside from that one ?

Did he not save 2 v Celtic in the Regi Blinker game for Aberdeen?

15 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

A guy on our trip was so pissed, he thought we'd lost cos the team in blue conceded near the end.

Expensive journey and stay back then. Imagine getting so wasted that you supported the wrong fkin team! What an arse.

2 minutes ago, daviebee said:

A guy on our trip was so pissed, he thought we'd lost cos the team in blue conceded near the end.

Expensive journey and stay back then. Imagine getting so wasted that you supported the wrong fkin team! What an arse.

I sat in front of this auld guy at Hampden when we played the Netherlands in 2009. For some reason he was under the impression that Barry Ferguson and Steven Pressley were on the pitch the entire gameĀ :lol:Ā No one had the heart to tell him.

7 hours ago, wanderer said:

Did he not save 2 v Celtic in the Regi Blinker game for Aberdeen?

May well have done ; but i was on a bit of a ā€˜sabbaticalā€™ mid 90s and might only catch a game on sky or whatever

that was his second spell with the dons ; suppose i was thinking the iceland save really stood out as i had never seen him making a penalty save to date

lucky he had his contacts in that day....

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I sat in front of this auld guy at Hampden when we played the Netherlands in 2009. For some reason he was under the impression that Barry Ferguson and Steven Pressley were on the pitch the entire gameĀ :lol:Ā No one had the heart to tell him.

:lol:Ā 

Maybe we should have a "Complete Roasters at the Fitba" thread?Ā  :lol:

Might start one later. Be my guest though if you think it's worth it.

Ā 

13 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Sober version of that was in directors box at pittodrie v livingston ( red tops) v dons ( white kits ) early 2000s ; one of the guys ( obviously not a fitba man ) was bemoaning the fact the the ā€œRedsā€ were not attacking that much ; ā€œcome on you Redsā€ he would say ; without really clueing in for a good bit if time - think the first goal clarified - steve tosh was playing then

directors box still term used for corporate hospitality boxes i hope

Ā 

Edited by Auchinyell Sox Change