Update on possible new caps. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Update on possible new caps.

ICT fan Shaun

Seeing as nothing has been heard or announced etc in the last while, I am wondering what the latest is on the possible new players that are eligible for Scotland (Jed Steer, Maxwell of Hibs, Todd Kane, Steven Caulker, Sam Gallagher, Harvey Barnes, Che Adams and Karlan Grant). 

I am not saying that I want them to switch allegiance etc, I am just wondering what is happening regarding them, so go easy with the criticism lol. 

12 minutes ago, ICT fan Shaun said:

Seeing as nothing has been heard or announced etc in the last while, I am wondering what the latest is on the possible new players that are eligible for Scotland (Jed Steer, Maxwell of Hibs, Todd Kane, Steven Caulker, Sam Gallagher, Harvey Barnes, Che Adams and Karlan Grant). 

I am not saying that I want them to switch allegiance etc, I am just wondering what is happening regarding them, so go easy with the criticism lol. 

There should be no criticism under the law of "Don't shoot the messenger" ;)

To be honest, the only player of the ones you listed who have spoken about playing for Scotland is Caulker. I'm a bit surprised he isn't in the squad, to be honest.

Barnes will probably be called up by England at some stage in the near future.

11 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

There should be no criticism under the law of "Don't shoot the messenger" ;)

To be honest, the only player of the ones you listed who have spoken about playing for Scotland is Caulker. I'm a bit surprised he isn't in the squad, to be honest.

Barnes will probably be called up by England at some stage in the near future.

Potentially was that the turnaround time for the documentation, which we were discussing back at the tail end of the last double header, was just too long? 

Who knows. 

To be fair, I gather he hasn't been playing much since then so might have stopped them rushing it through? 

Jed Steer looked all set for a cap at the end of last season, but Villa went and rewarded his good form that got them back into the Premier League by relegating him to 2nd choice keeper after they signed Tom Heaton for £8m, so he looks to be not getting a cap any time soon.

Maxwell at Hibs just seemed to be Daily Record gossip column stuff and never went anywhere after that.

Todd Kane the Record seemed to imply was a shoo-in for this squad after agreeing to switch, but since that QPR seem to be leaking in goals and a lot of their fans are putting the blame on him.

Caulker seems to be warming the bench now after it looked like he was all set for a call up, but Clarke did say that these games might be to tight for the paper work to go through in time, so this one we might still see a outcome on later on (talk Bristol City want to sign him next transfer window).

Gallagher, Barnes, Adams and Grant look to be non-options for the time being (Sam Gallagher is certainly no better than any striker options we have available at the moment), but we will most likely see Barnes and Adams name popping up now and again until England cap them and completely close that door (though I think Adams has been found out a little bit that the Championship is his level, and I do not think he has the pace for international football)

Edited by wanderer

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Jed Steer looked all set for a cap at the end of last season, but Villa went and rewarded his good form that got them back into the Premier League by relegating him to 2nd choice keeper after they signed Tom Heaton for £8m, so he looks to be not getting a cap any time soon

Second  choice EPL keeper or a second choice league one keeper.

We can always keep the keeper in our squad that has never played higher than league one of course

Not sure if Steer is second choice though