Tierney’s Stance On Scotland - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tierney’s Stance On Scotland

Guest ElChris04

Guest ElChris04

This is a very interesting interview I came across Tierney done with the s*n before last months games against Russia and San Marino. It’s definitely one I’d presume may have went under the radar so thought I’d share it in light of him not getting called up and most of all us all really questioning his commitment to Scotland. The link to the interview is here - https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4799694/kieran-tierney-scotland-euro/amp/ 
but to save yourselves giving the s*n views. here’s the full interview Copied from the article interview. 

KIERAN TIERNEY insisted he HAD to withdraw from the Scotland squad this month so he’s in peak condition for the play-offs in March.

The Arsenal defender was kept out of Steve Clarke’s pool for the double header against Russia and San Marino at the Gunners’ request.

Tierney, who played his first 90 minutes since April in the 4-0 Europa League win over Standard Liege, has backed boss Unai Emery’s decision.

He said: “What I’m doing isn’t against Scotland, it’s for the future of my Scotland career. I need to help my body and make sure that I am in the best place possible for the next camp — that’s what it’s all about.

“I understand it, Arsenal understand it and Scotland understand it.

“I have been in pain playing since November or December, tried to get a proper recovery for a few months and then played through it.

“I then had an operation and have eventually recovered.

“It has been a long time since I played 90 minutes pain-free, so to play on Thursday night and then again on Sunday, then another two games with the national team is a lot. “When you are coming back from injury you have to phase yourself back and take it step by step. The reason that I got the injury was playing too many games in the first place.

“So if I just jump straight back into playing three or four games in ten days it’s a lot for me.

“It’s the kind of injury that needs managed, so it’s the right decision.”

My stance on it is this, could this indicate Tierney never planned to play for Scotland this month and has been pacing himself for the playoffs?, again but make the interview what you will.

Edited by ElChris04

Guest ElChris04
9 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

That can't be right, some boring wanker who spams the tamb constantly says that he doesn't care about Scotland. 

This a dig at me for making that Tierney meme? 🤣

also I’ve been losing count how many folk have been going against Tierney and questioning his commitment, So.... 

Edited by ElChris04

Hopefully this is indeed the case. 

I've been willing to give him the benefit of the doubt thus far, so i'm pleased reading that, even if it is an old interview, as I don't recall seeing it at the time. 

5 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

This a dig at me for making that Tierney meme? 🤣

also I’ve been losing count how many folk have been going against Tierney and questioning his commitment, So.... 

Apparently you need permission of a core of TAMB elders in order to start a thread.

:P

Yeah. I read that a week or so ago. He said something similar last night, too.

To be fair he makes a good point in that playing too many games (for Celtic) caused all his injury problems. Playing 2/3 games a week so soon is only going to lead to the same thing happening for him. I'm beginning to be less sceptical, put it this way if he's not available for the play off in March then that's it.

ps we do not need another new thread about Kieran Tierney.

Guest ElChris04
2 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Apparently you need permission of a core of TAMB elders in order to start a thread.

:P

Yeah. I read that a week or so ago. He said something similar last night, too.

You have to laugh mate 😂

Guest ElChris04
1 hour ago, JECK said:

To be fair he makes a good point in that playing too many games (for Celtic) caused all his injury problems. Playing 2/3 games a week so soon is only going to lead to the same thing happening for him. I'm beginning to be less sceptical, put it this way if he's not available for the play off in March then that's it.

ps we do not need another new thread about Kieran Tierney.

True, probably doesn’t want to take any more risks, I felt this was worth making a thread over Incase it went under the radar but aye fair enough mate 

I think that says it all about what a lot of us thought - Celtic vastly overplayed the lad for far too long.

Ultimately it looks like the SFA have bought into his rehabilitation process and hopefully that will come to fruition in March. Not sure if I trust that this will be the case but we have to hope that it all works out.

1 hour ago, BucksburnDandy said:

I think that says it all about what a lot of us thought - Celtic vastly overplayed the lad for far too long.

Ultimately it looks like the SFA have bought into his rehabilitation process and hopefully that will come to fruition in March. Not sure if I trust that this will be the case but we have to hope that it all works out.

I think so. No doubting his love for Celtic, but there's no doubt that they stretched him to his limits.

The only thing we can do is wait till he's 100% fit and see how many squads he pulls out of.

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/18021910.kieran-tierney-explains-decision-not-turn-scotland-arsenal-request-omitted-squad/

he admitted he needs time to rest up for the good of his career.

He said: "Of course I want to play for my national team but I need to do what is best for my career long term and Scotland understand that.

"This was my second game in four days and towards the end I was tiring.

"So missing the Scotland games is probably the right decision because it means I am now going into the international break knowing I am getting a rest and recovery.

"My load has gone up and up since my operation so to get a rest will be beneficial and hopefully I’ll be ready for the next Scotland camp."

Well, seems like we are going to have to take him at his word for now, which is reasonable enough. Hopefully This tactic bears fruit and we can all put away the pitch forks. 

11 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Aye, exactly. We shall see if it bears fruit in the Spring.