How are international football teams usually judged? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

How are international football teams usually judged?

mrniaboc

How are international team usually judged?   

10 members have voted

1. 1. How do you think international football teams are usually judged?

• By the number of major club trophies won by their players
    • By their results in international matches

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Sorry, I tried. But sometimes I really cannot help myself. 

You are supposed to be a fairly clever lad. As a scientist you should be able to observe things and come to rational conclusions about what you have seen. Is it not obvious to you that the more people who vote against him the better he will feel, and the more determined he will be, to keep on repeating the same pish over and over again. 

Why do you keep feeding him more ammunition? I'm starting to think that Faircity might have a point.

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

You are supposed to be a fairly clever lad. As a scientist you should be able to observe things and come to rational conclusions about what you have seen. Is it not obvious to you that the more people who vote against him the better he will feel, and the more determined he will be, to keep on repeating the same pish over and over again. 

Why do you keep feeding him more ammunition? I'm starting to think that Faircity might have a point.

Hahaha that's an interesting hypothesis. As a scientist I am taught to trust the data over my opinions and instincts. I am often wrong about things. TDK is often right. Hence the poll.

2 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Hahaha that's an interesting hypothesis. As a scientist I am taught to trust the data over my opinions and instincts. I am often wrong about things. TDK is often right. Hence the poll.

I think it's an obvious one, to be honest.

The top players play for the top teams, the top teams win the most domestic trophies and the countries that have the most of these top players will pretty much have most success at international level.

In 98 we had players who were winning major trophies in Europe, France and England. Our squad won eight in total. The current team has won one in the calendar year of 18/19.

After 1998 the players that we had that won major trophies dropped. When we start producing players who win major trophies that's when we'll begin qualifying for things again. As far as it is, we have one player who s always in the mix to win major trophies (Robertson).

2 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

The top players play for the top teams, the top teams win the most domestic trophies and the countries that have the most of these top players will pretty much have most success at international level.

In 98 we had players who were winning major trophies in Europe, France and England. Our squad won eight in total. The current team has won one in the calendar year of 18/19.

After 1998 the players that we had that won major trophies dropped. When we start producing players who win major trophies that's when we'll begin qualifying for things again. As far as it is, we have one player who s always in the mix to win major trophies (Robertson).

I like turtles. 

4 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Jokes. Totally agree with you on all these additional points mate. It's just not how an international football team is USUALLY judged, that's all. No biggy.

7 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

You have a PhD? 

Get a refund.

You get paid to do it, rather than the other way around. But it doesn't pay you much more than minimum wage and leaves you with a tonne of baggage. Not worth it really. 

Edited by mrniaboc

NT Performances 
1) Trophies (Especially in recentlyish..last 15 years)
2) How deep teams have gone in tournaments
3) How regularly teams qualify 

*What league they compete in and how it is ranked on UEFA Coefficients, if the players are regularly competing in the UCL or going far in Europa League*

Judging by that.. Scotland is exactly where we should be in qualification :)

1 hour ago, mrniaboc said:

Well, the results are in and the findings are clear. TDK definitely has at least two accounts 😂😂😂

Am I one of them?!... 

I didn't actually vote.

I said A and then B.

Dude, if you look at a certain thread ("TAMB, where did it all go wrong...") there are a small amount of people who think I have between 5-50 accounts.

Over the years, what happened in this place to make people so paranoid?! It's only a small handful of people, but still. It's like some people have been here for so long that it's driven them crazy.

Reminds me of "Lord of the Flies".

51 minutes ago, infamous said:

NT Performances 
1) Trophies (Especially in recentlyish..last 15 years)
2) How deep teams have gone in tournaments
3) How regularly teams qualify 

*What league they compete in and how it is ranked on UEFA Coefficients, if the players are regularly competing in the UCL or going far in Europa League*

Judging by that.. Scotland is exactly where we should be in qualification :)

Spot on.

It's no coincidence that since our players haven't really won any major honours we've stopped qualifying for tournaments.

Look at 96 and 98, we had plenty of players winning tons of major trophies. But now? One. 

This calendar year I can only see Robertson in the mix to win major trophies. Maybe Tierney and McTominay, if Manchester United and Arsenal get their act together. However, it would still pale into insignificance to the eight our players collected in the 97/98 season.

3 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Spot on.

It's no coincidence that since our players haven't really won any major honours we've stopped qualifying for tournaments.

Look at 96 and 98, we had plenty of players winning tons of major trophies. But now? One. 

This calendar year I can only see Robertson in the mix to win major trophies. Maybe Tierney and McTominay, if Manchester United and Arsenal get their act together. However, it would still pale into insignificance to the eight our players collected in the 97/98 season.

Yeah,  I will add I have always found sides that have players regularly competing in the UCL (Further you go the better) or going far in Europa League (At least Round of 16) seem to have good consistency at NT levels. 

1. Belgium (Majority of squad play in the top 3 leagues in Europe, pre 2012 that wasn't the case)
2018 - 3rd
2016 - 7th
2014 - 6th
2012 - DNQ
2010 - DNQ
2008 - DNQ
2006 - DNQ
2004 - DNQ
2002 - 14th

2. Russia (Majority of squad play in 6th best league in Europe always have strong domestic presence in clubs competing in Europe )
2018 - 8th
2016 - 23rd
2014 - 23rd
2012 - 9th
2010 - DNQ
2008 - 3rd
2006 - DNQ
2004 - 10th
2002 - 22nd

3. Scotland (Half the squad play in the 20th best league in Europe / one third play in the best league and one third second tier of England)
2018 - DNQ
2016 - DNQ
2014 - DNQ
2012 - DNQ
2010 - DNQ
2008 - DNQ
2006 - DNQ
2004 - DNQ
2002 - DNQ

14 minutes ago, infamous said:

Yeah,  I will add I have always found sides that have players regularly competing in the UCL (Further you go the better) or going far in Europa League (At least Round of 16) seem to have good consistency at NT levels. 

1. Belgium (Majority of squad play in the top 3 leagues in Europe, pre 2012 that wasn't the case)
2018 - 3rd
2016 - 7th
2014 - 6th
2012 - DNQ
2010 - DNQ
2008 - DNQ
2006 - DNQ
2004 - DNQ
2002 - 14th

2. Russia (Majority of squad play in 6th best league in Europe always have strong domestic presence in clubs competing in Europe )
2018 - 8th
2016 - 23rd
2014 - 23rd
2012 - 9th
2010 - DNQ
2008 - 3rd
2006 - DNQ
2004 - 10th
2002 - 22nd

3. Scotland (Half the squad play in the 20th best league in Europe / one third play in the best league and one third second tier of England)
2018 - DNQ
2016 - DNQ
2014 - DNQ
2012 - DNQ
2010 - DNQ
2008 - DNQ
2006 - DNQ
2004 - DNQ
2002 - DNQ

Great addition and very good research!

A couple people (including the OP) laughed my original assertion. I'm still not clear why. I mean, it only stands to reason the more players you have playing (and winning) at the top level, the more successful your international team will be. 

As you said, we are where we are because of the standard of our players. We can't keep blaming the manager.