Tierney - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tierney

Bobby Russell's Lovechild

27 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I wouldn't make any concessions for any player. Don't care how good they are. Robertson and McTominay are playing first team football for bigger clubs than Arsenal. You don't see them making demands. McTominay has started several matches for us on the bench.

If Tierney doesn't want to play for Scotland he should make it known. I just think he's a bit of a wimp, getting Arsenal to phone the SFA is akin to getting his mum to phone the school because he's 'sick".

Too many times I am in full agreement with you on this topic. I need to gang and hae a lie doon. 😂

1 hour ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

Our best EPL players don’t give a flying fuck about playing for scotland. They view it as an irritating injury risk in an already congested epl and European fixture list.

I'm sure it's not a problem exclusive to Scotland.  If you're earning £3 million a year playing football you are likely going to have concerns about jeopardising that by playing internationals, no matter how patriotic you feel about your country. 

6 hours ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

Scotland have a history of alienating our best players,it’s one of a myriad of reasons why we’re consistently shite. 

Richard gough? Duncan Ferguson? Tbh I’d be very careful about this Tierney situation rather than telling him to gtf. We need him. 

Its very telling though and indicative of the fact now that it is no longer a secret- Our best EPL players don’t give a flying fuck about playing for scotland. They view it as an irritating injury risk in an already congested epl and European fixture list.

I don't think it just because he's playing in the EPL. Look at his Twitter page. He's very active on it, shitload of Celtic talk (obviously) and now lots about Arsenal (he's been saying how great the fans are recently, to him).

Now look for anything about him playing for Scotland, Scottish fans, etc. Nothing at all. Even when we played England a couple of years back, no tweet about playing for us, the atmosphere, anything. But a day or two either side of the game he's talking about Celtic, so he's was active. 

It just seems it is no honour whatsoever for him to play for us

9 hours ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

Our best EPL players don’t give a flying fuck about playing for scotland. They view it as an irritating injury risk in an already congested epl and European fixture list.

McTominay was suspended for the Russia game and turned up for the San Marino dead rubber.

Darren Fletcher went above and beyond as a Scotland player.

McGinn is 100% committed.

I'd say you are talking shite.

14 hours ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

Scotland have a history of alienating our best players,it’s one of a myriad of reasons why we’re consistently shite. 

Richard gough? Duncan Ferguson? Tbh I’d be very careful about this Tierney situation rather than telling him to gtf. We need him. 

It is a really frustrating truth and a big weakness of ours.

Just off the top of my head...McGregor, Brown, McArthur, Cairney(?), Snodgrass, Ritchie, Fletcher...all playing at a decent level and unavailable to us.  You can make a good argument for 3 of them to be in our strongest XI. 

In the fairly recent past...McGregor (1st time), Weir, McAllister, B.Ferguson, Brown (1st time), S.Fletcher (1st time), D.Ferguson...

Add in the players we've "lost" to other countries (McCathy and McGeady) and then those we lose to major injuries and we've never got close to having our strongest teams out.  

15 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

It is a really frustrating truth and a big weakness of ours.

Just off the top of my head...McGregor, Brown, McArthur, Cairney(?), Snodgrass, Ritchie, Fletcher...all playing at a decent level and unavailable to us.  You can make a good argument for 3 of them to be in our strongest XI. 

In the fairly recent past...McGregor (1st time), Weir, McAllister, B.Ferguson, Brown (1st time), S.Fletcher (1st time), D.Ferguson...

Add in the players we've "lost" to other countries (McCathy and McGeady) and then those we lose to major injuries and we've never got close to having our strongest teams out.  

I think the ones we lose to minor injuries is a far bigger worry. 

Jeez, I think folk might be over reacting just a touch here.

Firstly, before his injury Tierney was pretty much an ever present in the squads, including friendlies, and was played out of position either at RB or CB in a back 3 to accommodate our lack of options there and didn't grumble.

Now, I don't know how true this is as it came from someone "in the know" with a friend who worked for Celtic.  But when his injury was at it's worst and he wasn't even playing for Celtic there were supposedly real fears for Tierney's career.  Scott Nisbet's career ending pelvic injury was used as a comparison.  

Thankfully it never went that way but the fact it was a concern is maybe why Celtic weren't and Arsenal having just shelled out £25M for him, aren't keen for him to play too many unnecessary games!  

People have mentioned Darren Fletcher playing and travelling through his illness for Scotland like some sort of martyr.  Did it occur to any of you that if he had maybe put himself first and rested when he should have, Scotland and Man Utd maybe wouldn't have been robbed of his talents for nearly 2 years?!  If Tierney himself is keen to play in these games either then you know what I'll cut him some slack this time round.  A lad of his talent, risking his career before he's 25 to play Cyprus and Kazakhstan just seems a tad idiotic to me. 

1 hour ago, kwhitelaw said:

Jeez, I think folk might be over reacting just a touch here.

Firstly, before his injury Tierney was pretty much an ever present in the squads, including friendlies, and was played out of position either at RB or CB in a back 3 to accommodate our lack of options there and didn't grumble.

Now, I don't know how true this is as it came from someone "in the know" with a friend who worked for Celtic.  But when his injury was at it's worst and he wasn't even playing for Celtic there were supposedly real fears for Tierney's career.  Scott Nisbet's career ending pelvic injury was used as a comparison.  

Thankfully it never went that way but the fact it was a concern is maybe why Celtic weren't and Arsenal having just shelled out £25M for him, aren't keen for him to play too many unnecessary games!  

People have mentioned Darren Fletcher playing and travelling through his illness for Scotland like some sort of martyr.  Did it occur to any of you that if he had maybe put himself first and rested when he should have, Scotland and Man Utd maybe wouldn't have been robbed of his talents for nearly 2 years?!  If Tierney himself is keen to play in these games either then you know what I'll cut him some slack this time round.  A lad of his talent, risking his career before he's 25 to play Cyprus and Kazakhstan just seems a tad idiotic to me. 

If all that were true, Tierney could easily come and say it? as has been said he never mentions playing for scotland, if he was desperate to play his agent could easily set up a call with the likes of sportsound or they could feed the story to a journalist.

As much as I want the above to be true and Tierney is committed to scotland, there is nothing to suggest he is

31 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

If all that were true, Tierney could easily come and say it? as has been said he never mentions playing for scotland, if he was desperate to play his agent could easily set up a call with the likes of sportsound or they could feed the story to a journalist.

As much as I want the above to be true and Tierney is committed to scotland, there is nothing to suggest he is

ElChris04 shared an interview from October that included Tierney saying he wanted to make sure he was fit and raring to go for the March games. That passed me by at the time I have to admit, never saw it. 

It's the only press I have seen him do on this issue ever, really. 

Decent that he’s explained it and it does make sense given he’s coming back from a serious injury. Let’s not isolate him please and welcome him back with open arms when he’s ready to play again. Also I think we should rotate him and robertson and see who performs better. Robertson has been absolutely awful for scotland these past few games so he shouldn’t get picked on reputation alone.

6 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Amazing how many people have just bought it too 

‘Hopefully I will be ready for the next Scotland camp’ 

Totally non committal. I would have felt more confident about his interest if he had said something like ‘ I am determined to be available for the next Scotland camp and will be working on my fitness to ensure I give myself the best chance of being there. ‘

So this is how he is setting out his argument and defence :- I don't want to be part of the Scotland squad as I wish to rest up and relax so I can be fresher for future Arsenal games which are of greater importance to me' And actual Scotland fans are swallowing this? If every player had this attitude to international football (basically that its not in their interests to play it if they have been injured within the last two months) then it would be extinct in no time.

Really better to have left it at no excuse at all than that, yet many will persist in denial and ass-licking as they ever do for certain of our players with bigger reputations.

• 2 weeks later...