Billy Gilmour - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Billy Gilmour

gonzohiggy

2 hours ago, AndyDD said:

... No, I literally said -

'There's no obligation to stay on your feet'

Yeah, sorry.

I'm not really paying attention. The dreads of multi-tasking.

I think most people would agree that when a player goes to ground (for legitimate reasons) he/she has more of winning a penalty/free kick than if they stay on their feet.

Growing up I was always taught to stay on my feet and shadow the attacker, keeping daylight between them and you at all times. And only lunge in if you're 100% sure you're going to get the ball.

15 hours ago, aaid said:

There's also no obligation for the referee to give the free kick.

Exactly. The player can throw themselves to the deck, they can do a somersault, they can dae the fucking worm if they like. It doesn't make it a foul. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Really good read. 

As for Rangers go, they just beat Celtic 5:0 at youth level. If King and Kennedy are anything to go by, Rangers could have a wave of talented Scottish kids.

29 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Really good read. 

As for Rangers go, they just beat Celtic 5:0 at youth level. If King and Kennedy are anything to go by, Rangers could have a wave of talented Scottish kids.

Yeah it is, I'm from the Three Towns and played with TASS for years but sadly I was shite! Used to watch Winton when Killie weren't playing and Billy Snr was a tidy wee midfielder.

Billy Jnr has a real chance of going to the top and I've been saying that on here for a while now. Just always looked miles ahead of any of his peers.

Mebude looks a real talent too at Rangers.

I saw his playing for the Chelsea youth team a few times.

The common denominator with our best seems to be that they have nice families behind them. SAF said that about Darren Fletcher, Jose said it about McTominay, Same thing is being said about Billy, etc. Great players aren't just what they do on the park, it's also what they are like off it... Pretty much one of the reasons why Feruz is a cautionary tale. He had no parental guidance.

Totally. Against Grimsby he ran the show, and even against Man United he didn't look out of of place playing in that company.

The sooner we promote him to the senior team, the better. 

Agreed. He looks inprove. Only thing we can hope for is that Rangers give him and others a chance of game time.

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Yeah it is, I'm from the Three Towns and played with TASS for years but sadly I was shite! Used to watch Winton when Killie weren't playing and Billy Snr was a tidy wee midfielder.

Billy Jnr has a real chance of going to the top and I've been saying that on here for a while now. Just always looked miles ahead of any of his peers.

Mebude looks a real talent too at Rangers.

Mebude has really bulked up in the last year. From watching him for the rangers and Scotland youths he has learnt a lot from morelos in the way he uses his body to turn players. I hope he remains a striker, but I can see him ending up in between striker/winger for a few years before he finds his position.

6 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Really good read. 

5 years ago we completely changed our youth set up. Out went Sinclair and his "yer too wee to make it" mentality, instead we went for technique over build (genuinely get the fear think what if Gilmour and Kennedy came through when he was still here). 

The biggest thing for me anyway that has helped these lads development is playing friendlies and tournaments against foreign youth teams and some English youth teams. This has given them the chance to play against lots of different styles and abilities.

The reserves also play against English lower league teams and English u23 sides.

I still think we need colt teams for 18/19+, after that age youth football isn't going to do much.

1 minute ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

5 years ago we completely changed our youth set up. Out went Sinclair and his "yer too wee to make it" mentality, instead we went for technique over build (genuinely get the fear think what if Gilmour and Kennedy came through when he was still here). 

The biggest thing for me anyway that has helped these lads development is playing friendlies and tournaments against foreign youth teams and some English youth teams. This has given them the chance to play against lots of different styles and abilities.

The reserves also play against English lower league teams and English u23 sides.

I still think we need colt teams for 18/19+, after that age youth football isn't going to do much.

Totally agree.

I give the SFA a lot of abuse, but all credit to them with their performance schools and the general increase in professionalism and the increase in coaching the mind of these kids as well as the body.

For the first time, ever, I have genuine hope for the future. It says a lot that i enjoy watching the under 17s and 19s more I do watching the senior team. 

20 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Who has been responsible for that decision?  Goodness knows we've made some many bad ones over the last decade or so.

29 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Who has been responsible for that decision?  Goodness knows we've made some many bad ones over the last decade or so.

Jim Sinclair ex-head of youth development. He released so many talented 14-17 year olds due to their build. 

I mean a lot of other Scottish clubs had similar problems with the "yer too wee" mentality, the likes of Robertson at Celtic where released for similar reasons I'm sure.

It makes you wonder how many talented younger players never made it because of that mentality.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

2 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Jim Sinclair ex-head of youth development. He released so many talented 14-17 year olds due to their build. 

I mean a lot of other Scottish clubs had similar problems with the "yer too wee" mentality, the likes of Robertson at Celtic where released for similar reasons I'm sure.

It makes you wonder how many talented younger players never made it because of that mentality.

Sorry I meant who was responsible for the good decision! 

38 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Sorry I meant who was responsible for the good decision! 

Craig Mulholland has been the academy director since Sinclair got the boot. He was a  youth coach previously but seems to have polar opposite views on youth development to Sinclair.

From a while back but speaks about, the youngsters progressing thanks to the games against foreign clubs.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-academy-director-craig-mulholland-12652424.amp