General Election 2019 - Page 58 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

General Election 2019

11 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I'm the same - SNP plan seems to be to ask again but really nicely this time. I have a bit of hope though in that they weren't daft enough to discuss a plan B last night but that obviously presumes there is one.

On the other hand Boris can play to the galleries by telling us to piss off and folk down south would lap that right up.  

SNP have got this absolutely right IMO. They should ask and hope it's refused. Every time Westminster stamp their authority on Scotland, the Yes vote goes up. Unless Yes vote shoots up to 60% in the next 3 months, we ideally want 2021 election to be fought on question of #indyref2. Also expect the SNP to challenge Westminster refusal in courts next year in hope that Holyrood election will be to ask electorate to have a legal referendum.

SNP polled 45% last night. Sure there are Labour/LibDem voters supporting independence but I know a significant number of people voted SNP last night even though they didn't necessarily want another referendum. 

As I said above, unless Yes suddenly jumps up above 60%, we'd be taking a massive gamble going early next year.

6 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Would have been a travesty if Whiteford never kept her seat.

Lovely to see Ayrshire back to being all SNP again.

Great to see Alan Brown re-elected. He's always struck me as a guy who genuinely loves Scotland with all his heart and is not afraid to have it out with both the Tories and Labour.

This guy was Whitford's Tory opponent. Remember him ?

Image result for derek stillie aberdeen

I think we all knew a conservative majority was nailed on but never thought it would be this bad. Had the same MP since 1992 in Delyn where I vote and he has just lost his seat. Pretty sad really but I don't think the selfish fucktards down here will ever be ready for anything as radical as Corbyn. Cue the Labour party heading for the center ground again and another Blair type imposter. 

2 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Just a 6% swing required then. 

At my local Polling station there was noticeably a lot more younger folk than usual and definately seemed busier. 

Yes but will only be 1-1 in terms of independence should yes win.   51-54% YES would not be enough to win.    NO would kick up fk that they won by more than that in 2014.

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The LD hold Shetland. The SNP end up with a total of 48 seats.

Apologies to you Orraloon as you say 50 barrier not broken. Still a very good night for the SNP.

I was looking forward to that humble pie too. I blame that Hampdenloon fella. He just isn't working hard enough up there in big fish country.;)

I think Nicola might be safe for a wee while yet?

46 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Great to see Alan Brown re-elected. He's always struck me as a guy who genuinely loves Scotland with all his heart and is not afraid to have it out with both the Tories and Labour.

This guy was Whitford's Tory opponent. Remember him ?

Image result for derek stillie aberdeen

Alan is a great lad, follows Killie everywhere and had many a beer with him. Scotland home and away regular too.

Last spoke to him last month when we played Motherwell midweek.

He was straight off plane from London and left his case in the old Fir Park Club so he could go to the game!

Would not be surprised in the slightest if he's at Dingwall tomorrow.

7 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Good to see Ronnie Cowan, son of Morton and Scotland goalkeeper jimmy Cowan, reatin inverclyde.

His Labour opponent Martin McLuskie is absolute scum. One of the lowest of the low. 

And despite every fookin Tory in Kilmacolm voting Labour to try oust him. 

The scale of this victory for the Conservatives is truly depressing. Bigger landslide than 1983 apparently and that was after them basking in the Falklands war victory. Here it was preceded by years and years of making utter cunts of themselves! Shocking. Plus it is rewarding the same clowns who caused the whole fuck up in the first place. So what do the English do... they reward them with a massive majority. 

I am getting zero satisfaction from the SNP result. It is just totally dwarfed by the Tory win. They are going to be able to do every thing they have dreamed of now. I can see some real damage being done here not dissimilar to the wrecking ball that was Thatcher after her landslide... grim. 

Corbyn will look back and regret not being more courageous I feel. 

Jackson Carlaw's tweets from yesterday, he was convinced of a certain Tory victory here in East Renfrewshire, make for great reading right now. :lol:

Oddly enough Paul Masterton was probably the least antagonistic and more reasonable of the former thirteen Scottish Tories but there we are.

Like I hoped for last night, Barrhead and Neilston helped win it for the SNP.

Caption competition ?

ELmS5xAX0AEh5Bt.jpg:large

Edited by ErsatzThistle

13 minutes ago, thplinth said:

The scale of this victory for the Conservatives is truly depressing. Bigger landslide than 1983 apparently and that was after them basking in the Falklands war victory. Here it was preceded by years and years of making utter cunts of themselves! Shocking. Plus it is rewarding the same clowns who caused the whole fuck up in the first place. So what do the English do... they reward them with a massive majority. 

I am getting zero satisfaction from the SNP result. It is just totally dwarfed by the Tory win. They are going to be able to do every thing they have dreamed of now. I can see some real damage being done here not dissimilar to the wrecking ball that was Thatcher after her landslide... grim. 

Corbyn will look back and regret not being more courageous I feel. 

Could he threaten to shut, or even actually shut, the Scottish Parliament?  He'd be an absolute legend down there is he sorted out 'Jimmy Krankie'.

16 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I see no chance of IndyRef2 being allowed. The Tories have got re-writing the constitution in their manifesto. They’ll start with the judges... 

Yeah its not going to happen because they will never agree to it. Dave Cameron was an aberration. 

13 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Could he threaten to shut, or even actually shut, the Scottish Parliament?  He'd be an absolute legend down there is he sorted out 'Jimmy Krankie'.

Who knows. With this result I think they are going to be massively emboldened. I dare say they are already thinking of doing things that previously they would not have risked. One thing I am sure of is they will be doing everything they can to enrich themselves and their backers, it is not going to be good for any of us 'ordinary' folk. They are probably currently dusting off every cuntish idea they have ever had but shelved as it was too risky. 

The fact that the SNP won so many seats but the dial has not moved on YES is a troubling result. It seems like the SNP are offering Scots an attractive alternative to the choices down south but without gaining any kind of mandate for YES or even just indyref2. In a way they are making it easy for Scots to be political pussies and have their cake and eat it (apologies for the mixed metaphors).

I would like to them to say first and foremost that a vote for the SNP is a vote for YES and let's see where we really stand.

7 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Shame about the two North East seats but hey ho. You can't win them all.

Glasgow, The World's Greatest City, has a full complement of SNP MPs again. I like that. I like that a lot.

Aye indeed - we very rarely let the side down 👍

I'm going to guess at 2023 for the next Scottish Independence referendum. There just isn't time to get it done before the next Holyrood election, IMO.

Winning that election won't be easy. The system is designed to try to stop that happening. SNP supporters should have a well earned rest for a few months and then start planning for that Holyrood election. Boris is the only person who can make it happen sooner and I don't think he will do that.