General Election 2019 - Page 41 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

General Election 2019

7 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

That result would have Rooth The Mooth skinnydipping in Loch Ness which is why i doubt it will be that 

Will happily be proved wrong though

What was it she said?  

50+ SNP seats for that to happen?

I just think that localised tactical voting makes it impossible for the SNP to get anywhere near that - regardless of what the big %age from polling agencies says.

17 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

What was it she said?  

50+ SNP seats for that to happen?

I just think that localised tactical voting makes it impossible for the SNP to get anywhere near that - regardless of what the big %age from polling agencies says.

The fat fuck said exactly that 

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Enough of this, I spewed at the thought of that yesterday, don't need it again today.

It OK the SNP will never get 50 + ever again. Folk who try to imply that they will are just at it. I know that probably won't help your spewing situation, because it's the thought that counts.

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Like Alfie Moon says, I really think a lot of people actually do believe it. Not only that they do not believe he can deliver on his promises.

We have been systematically indoctrinated by this conservative government to believe there is no money , despite them finding cash to help their pals and dubious political parties who back them up. 

You just have to look at the fear of god that is put up them when a coalition with the SNP is mentioned but they don't give a shit about the DUP.  

18 hours ago, thplinth said:

No I cannot agree with that. Especially given we have no new study. I think the conclusions are valid. It was only just a decade ago. Economics is glacial in comparison.

Please don't ever do that again with the font. :) 

I've told the person who I plagerised to use the standard issue font moving forwards. :)   At my last employment HR sent me my contract in ComicbookSans - swear down.   

I think the conclusions give a lot of room for further study and from them if it was up to me I would frame it around their own recommendation that instead of increasing immigration they could move the retirement age.  Be an interesting conversation across the population to find out where people were on that scale. 

One point I was trying to make on the report was that it says it doesn’t really know whether there has been a positive or negative impact but notes probably slightly positive for higher earners and slightly negative for lower earners.  In terms of the NHS I’m genuinely concerned immigrants are getting the blame when this all goes tits up.   Non-eu immigrants more than pay their way from the Conservatives own figures and EU immigrants are chucking more in the pot than your average UK citizen.  On the second point, this would depend on whether this achieves the breakeven point but even if it doesn’t the link I supplied stated they account for avoiding a 5% increase in income tax.  Given they contribute more than the average UK employee it would suggest these aren’t restricted to employment in the bottom rung but if it does keep wage costs lower higher up the tree then companies should be taxed to make up the shortfall or else they’re benefiting both ways.

It should definitely be looked at in terms of other implications on public sectors but for me the main concentration for a future report should be around integration as in my opinion that is a massive issue in parts down south.  I know people in Stoke who still class Indians and Pakistanis who moved over in the 50’s and 60’s as immigrants along with their kids.  In Stoke 90% of the population were born in England whilst 2% were born in India/Pakistan but 8% of the population are Muslim/Hindu.   It was 15 years ago I lived there but there was absolutely zero integration between the communities then and, despite most being born in England, still had native accents.   

In terms of the bottom rung Tier 3 will allow temporary low skilled workers to access the UK so not sure a lot will change from ending the freedom of EU movement.  Even if it did I don’t think it is immigrants per-se that’s driving the wages down – market forces and globalisation are more of an impact.  If you’re making essentially the same widget in UK, Poland and China then the cost per unit is all that will matter really.  From the report too it notes that the answer instead of immigration would be investment in other solutions which would seem to me more around efficiency than employing more lower skilled locals. 

I honestly have no idea what the bottom 20-30% will be doing within the next 20 years as AI kicks off. 

A 48-year-old man has been arrested after a suspicious device was found near a polling station in North Lanarkshire (see earlier).

Police said the device was discovered on the ground floor of Glen Tower flats in Motherwell at around 1am on Thursday.

A cordon was placed around the building as residents were evacuated following the find.

Explosive Ordnance Disposal staff were called to the scene to examine the item before carrying out a controlled explosion despite the device being found to be “non-viable”.

People who were registered to vote at Glen Tower have been told to attend an alternative polling station at Knowetop Primary School on Knowetop Avenue in Motherwell.

A community room within the building was due to be used as a polling station.
Chief Inspector Mark Leonard said: “Police in Motherwell have arrested a 48-year-old man in connection with a suspicious device found on the ground floor of Glen Tower flats, Motherwell, around 1am on Thursday December 12 2019. Inquiries are ongoing.”

Guaranteed Hun IMO

15 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I assume arithmetic isn't your strong suit. 

Know how the brain fills in the bits between first letter and last in a word - this is how fucked up this election has been; it took me a good five seconds to process that read 'arithmetic' rather than 'antisemitic'

Guest ElChris04

Voted SNP In my local glasgow constituency.  

Not even Ruth Davidson’s potential attempt at skinny dipping if SNP get 50 seats could put me off. 🤷‍♂️