General Election 2019 - Page 39 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

General Election 2019

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

It's a shame that swathes of the UK population (many like some of those on here who know much better) have allowed a completely false narrative about Corbyn to become almost accepted "fact". 

You reap what you sew. Unfortunately it's the most vulnerable who'll pay for it. 

Is it just me or is the whole Corbyn anti-semitism story/smear/information the most outrageous, continued and widely accepted ‘fact’ in modern times ? I’m not really a fan of Corbyn but this stuff seems so ridiculous its beyond belief. 🤷‍♂️

Shite gets peddled all the time with varying degrees of merit but this one seems like its on another planet.

10 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Is it just me or is the whole Corbyn anti-semitism story/smear/information the most outrageous, continued and widely accepted ‘fact’ in modern times ? I’m not really a fan of Corbyn but this stuff seems so ridiculous its beyond belief. 🤷‍♂️

Shite gets peddled all the time with varying degrees of merit but this one seems like its on another planet.

Alex Salmond being a sex fiend tops it.

14 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Yeah. It's been a concerted campaign to smear him for a long time now. A campaign given a platform by a willing media and perpetuated by many people who should know much better.

Not everyone is interested in politics or can be arsed to actually research things for themselves, as anyone who did would clearly see this is made-up bullshit. Very sad.

3 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Alex Salmond being a sex fiend tops it.

Well, he's actually being tried in court for sex-offences. so it doesn't come close IMO.

My old man is not voting for the first time in his life. He voted Labour in 1966 then SNP in every subsequent election.

He is a soft-ish Nationalist but is pissed off with some of the SNP's recent policies. Worried about the path Sturgeon is taking them down.

My mum flips between Labour and SNP and is also not voting.

Constituency is Hamilton East and Lanark. I think it will be touch and go (<100). Tories were 3/1 last week. Won't be that now.

Unionist vote seems to be going blue by all accounts.

11 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Well, he's actually being tried in court for sex-offences. so it doesn't come close IMO.

I should’ve placed emojis. I agree with you.
Can I hide behind PIAK’s “It was a joke” screen? 😄

Edited by WCTA

56 minutes ago, Parklife said:

So you only want a fairer society for all (including in Scotland btw), if it comes with a 2nd Indy ref? 

To say you couldn't care less about what the UK government is, with the impacts on vulnerable people that will come with that, isn't something I can agree with at all. 

I say all of this as a pretty strong supporter of Independence. 

Not entirely but given that Slab vote with Tories to oppose bills aimed at creating a fairer society, purely based on the fact the SNP are proposing them, then it's my view that the only way Scotland will be a true fairer society is with independence.

And based on how the rest of the UK vote, even with 40+ SNP MPs lending support to Corbyn and still looking unlikely to form a government then the only way that any of us will ever see a fairer society is with an independent Scotland.

I really feel for the rest of the UK but that's how I see it as this is the most inept government in my lifetime and these daft cunts down south are still going to vote them in.

IMO Independence is the only way we have out of this.

1 hour ago, Jim Beem said:

totally agree.  Absolutely plain as day what has been done to him.

I don't think anyone really even believes it either.  

in all honesty i think Sturgeon has done her absolute best in this campaign and I've been critical of the SNP recently.

she's been everywhere, everyday.  made the point about scotland's future in scotland's hands umpteen times - despite what a resident of Bath might have you believe.

If the people of Scotland can't see, in enough numbers, that our own right to decide whether we can have a vote on indepenence or not (not independence itself) isn't worth anything, then I wouldn't blame her from walking away.  She's trying to give people a choice on brexit, given the clearly shown views of Scottish voters and the contempt from westminster to find a brexit solution for Scotland of some form.  If more than 60% of scottish voters think they're collective view should be worth the same as Yorkshire then we're further away from a new state than we've ever been.  And frankly I don't think these people have it in them to make it work.

The death of the scottish labour party has been, in some ways, a death of Scottish self determination with a small s.  The middle ground of union supporting but pro-Scotland has been lost to full on Yes and full on self loathers.  It's a sad sight and not one to make a new country with.

Hope i'm wrong.

7 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

totally agree.  Absolutely plain as day what has been done to him.

I don't think anyone really even believes it either.  

Scarily I think there is a section of the population who believe any old shite spoon fed to them.  I've seen quite a few folk in Stoke say they're voting Tory because of the anti-Semite stuff and meeting Gerry Adams.  

9 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Scarily I think there is a section of the population who believe any old shite spoon fed to them.  I've seen quite a few folk in Stoke say they're voting Tory because of the anti-Semite stuff and meeting Gerry Adams.  

And it's not a small section either. And, it's not because they are stupid either (well, not all of them). They just don't have enough time or inclination to try to see past the never ending propaganda.

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

And it's not a small section either. And, it's not because they are stupid either (well, not all of them). They just don't have enough time or inclination to try to see past the never ending propaganda.

On Radio 4 last night they said that Boris Johnson had managed to ‘cut through the noise’ when he drove the JCB through polystyrene and one of the commentators were slavering it was a stroke of electoral genius. 

Unless I’m missing something the laddie lying on the floor of a hospital, and more so Johnson’s apparent complete lack of empathy had cut through the bollocks whereas the point of the JCB was to amplify the noise again to drown this clusterfuck out.

I don't think it matters if the SNP win no seats or all the seats - we're fucked when Johnson gets his majority.  

On 12/10/2019 at 4:00 PM, ThistleWhistle said:

I looked at the Scottish Government report but in terms of the HOL report is that the one from 2008?  If it is then the credit crunch and Brexit have superseded it plus immigration policy has moved on significantly since but agree there is still some interesting points in it. 

No I cannot agree with that. Especially given we have no new study. I think the conclusions are valid. It was only just a decade ago. Economics is glacial in comparison.

Please don't ever do that again with the font. :) 

Edited by thplinth

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

Christina McKelvie seems to do okay in Larkhall. 

All Larky needed was a bit of Political Ulsterisation and it had plenty volunteers

4 hours ago, Mitre said:

My old man is not voting for the first time in his life. He voted Labour in 1966 then SNP in every subsequent election.

He is a soft-ish Nationalist but is pissed off with some of the SNP's recent policies. Worried about the path Sturgeon is taking them down.

My mum flips between Labour and SNP and is also not voting.

Constituency is Hamilton East and Lanark. I think it will be touch and go (<100). Tories were 3/1 last week. Won't be that now.

Unionist vote seems to be going blue by all accounts.

Hopefully you can turn them around, does the tory party not scare them enough to go out vote? My mother is of the same mould, brexit has put her off the snp, more the fact she sees it as a democratic vote.my wifes not voting either🙈

6 hours ago, Parklife said:

It's a shame that swathes of the UK population (many like some of those on here who know much better) have allowed a completely false narrative about Corbyn to become almost accepted "fact". 

The old saying, 'If you throw enough shit, some of it sticks' springs to mind.

In Corbyn's case, it has been a relentless shit-storm from a complicit media to demonize an individual who really doesn't deserve it.

Anti-Semitic? Is he f*ck. 

But as we all know; say something enough and half the public lap it up.

Who can forget...

"You can't use the pound'. 

3 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Google Image Gerry Adams or Martin Maguinness with anyone of any note and you'll find it......... The Queen; Prince Philip; Prince Charles; Tony Blair; Bill Clinton and even Nelsen Mandela.

All smiling away; enjoying themselves on a jolly somewhere.

Not forgetting a Conservative government propped up by a party with their own terrorist connection's, but that's okay because those terrorists were on our side; despite the fact the worst act of terrorism on the island of Ireland was carried out by one of those terrorist organisation.

... and Corbyn has had to endure all this shit for all this time?

It's a disgrace.