General Election 2019 - Page 34 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

General Election 2019

48 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I still stand by what i said a couple of weeks ago

Every bigot in Scotland is voting Tory - more than at any other election or referendum

The Ulsterisation of politics has succeeded

Its strange you say that, one of the most vocal yes guys i knew has now gone to tory, he was one of those yes voters who disliked the english folk and gave the yes camp a bad name, he now hates immigrants and the snp, especially sturgeon

The reason the right wing has had such traction in recent years is that the left (and I use these terms with the usual caveats phart) made anyone who said anything negative about immigration into a racist. They snuffed out that totally valid debate and as a result people stored it up and got angry and first chance they got they voted right wing as a fuck you. The way the left has gone (and I include the SNP under that alas) you can expect a LOT more of it coming your way.

Edited by thplinth

The BBC don't even try and hide it.  Lead item on Reporting Scotland was basically a party political broadcast for Lesley Laird.  Trying to track down the "elusive" Neale Hanvey.

I won't hold my breath waiting for the similar features on the four other candidates who've been suspended by their parties.

20 minutes ago, thplinth said:

The reason the right wing has had such traction in recent years is that the left (and I use these terms with the usual caveats phart) made anyone who said anything negative about immigration into a racist. They snuffed out that totally valid debate and as a result people stored it up and got angry and first chance they got they voted right wing as a fuck you. The way the left has gone (and I include the SNP under that alas) you can expect a LOT more of it coming your way.

I think there has always been a base there that has been somewhat contained over recent years but totally agree that the pavlovian response of just shutting it down as racist has pushed folk over that way.  It's not even that difficult to present a coherent argument for immigration in terms of aging population, EU nationals putting more in than they take it out, low unemployment etc but playing the race card off the bat doesn't do anyone any favours and when Grimsby is going tory but leafy suburbs in London could go Labour the whole thing is a clusterfuck.  One thing is for sure though any veil is off given Johnson stating: EU migrants have been able to “treat the UK as if it’s part of their own country” for too long today.    

The irony of it all is the number of brown immigrants will likely need to increase to offset the drop in EU migrants so be interesting to see how that circle is squared.     

3 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I think there has always been a base there that has been somewhat contained over recent years but totally agree that the pavlovian response of just shutting it down as racist has pushed folk over that way.  It's not even that difficult to present a coherent argument for immigration in terms of aging population, EU nationals putting more in than they take it out, low unemployment etc but playing the race card off the bat doesn't do anyone any favours and when Grimsby is going tory but leafy suburbs in London could go Labour the whole thing is a clusterfuck.  One thing is for sure though any veil is off given Johnson stating: EU migrants have been able to “treat the UK as if it’s part of their own country” for too long today.    

The irony of it all is the number of brown immigrants will likely need to increase to offset the drop in EU migrants so be interesting to see how that circle is squared.     

I linked to House of Lords study on the cost-benefit of immigration on here a while ago (but not that long ago). It is I believe the only such study (costs v benefits) to come out of parliament on it. If you can find it I suggest you read it. You only have to read the conclusions... I think it was about 8 pages. It is far less 'this is a good thing' than you would think given all the press and politician chat.

The reason we have BREXIT is because the left did not allow any meaningful discussion on immigration and they did so by instantly smearing anyone critical as racist.

So now 'they' (the smeared) are just going to ram BREXIT, the tories, etc, etc... up their arses in revenge. I honestly cant say I blame them. They gave gave them no other political avenue.

The poor working class took the economic brunt of mass uncontrolled immigration.

Remind me who is voting for BREXIT again? The arrogance over these people is astonishing. They are all racists. 

25 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I linked to House of Lords study on the cost-benefit of immigration on here a while ago (but not that long ago). It is I believe the only such study (costs v benefits) to come out of parliament on it. If you can find it I suggest you read it. You only have to read the conclusions... I think it was about 8 pages. It is far less 'this is a good thing' than you would think given all the press and politician chat.

The reason we have BREXIT is because the left did not allow any meaningful discussion on immigration and they did so by instantly smearing anyone critical as racist.

So now 'they' (the smeared) are just going to ram BREXIT, the tories, etc, etc... up their arses in revenge. I honestly cant say I blame them. They gave gave them no other political avenue.

The poor working class took the economic brunt of mass uncontrolled immigration.

Remind me who is voting for BREXIT again? The arrogance over these people is astonishing. They are all racists. 

The irony being the conservatives had all the powers they need to control non EU immigration but haven’t, they use strong language but in reality they don’t care. 

3 hours ago, thplinth said:

Kernie got ganged up for voicing stuff on immigration here. So it was a lot of the left in that respect. I'm not even left wing i don't believe in government really.

53 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

definitely a void in scottish politics that needs filled 

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/12/09/meet-the-scottish-nationalists-who-voted-leave/

With Jim Fairlie it's all about Jim Fairlie

Him and Sillars have been the Daily Mail & Daily Express go to guys for the last 3 years  

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/12/09/meet-the-scottish-nationalists-who-voted-leave/

Enjoyed reading that. 

12 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

With Jim Fairlie it's all about Jim Fairlie

He was before my time but from that article I didn’t get that impression at all. 

9 hours ago, phart said:

Kernie got ganged up for voicing stuff on immigration here. So it was a lot of the left in that respect. I'm not even left wing i don't believe in government really.

Would seem there are quite a few anarchists on this thread. Do you all live in a special TAMB commune or different ones?

15 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Its strange you say that, one of the most vocal yes guys i knew has now gone to tory, he was one of those yes voters who disliked the english folk and gave the yes camp a bad name, he now hates immigrants and the snp, especially sturgeon

Good. Fuck him.

I'd rather lose than have scum like that on our side.

15 hours ago, thplinth said:

And those of us (who are also the descendants of immigrants) who point out the huge benefits we see every day thanks to immigrants - are in turn pilloried as rabid commies.

12 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Like many, Spence has been concerned by the caricatures of Brexit voters. ‘I struggle with the imbecility of the view that 17.4million voters can be characterised as racist, thick and stupid. There is a lack of civility in our political discourse and an absence of democratic decency.’

(As just evidenced by the usual toxic shite above.)

Just now, thplinth said:

(As just evidenced by the usual toxic shite above.)

Tell me big boy, what is so toxic about saying - "And those of us (who are also the descendants of immigrants) who point out the huge benefits we see every day thanks to immigrants - are in turn pilloried as rabid commies."

This year immigrants have -

• Fixed my buggered heating.
  • Sold me my train tickets.
  • Took great care of my Gran after she had a stroke.
  • Fixed my buggered roof.
  • Made and served me meals.
  • Saved my cat from going blind.
  • Cut my hair.
  • Help me take care of a skin condition.
  • Drove me back and forth across the World's Greatest City.

They were in those jobs because the thick cunts who sit at home watching daytime TV and moaning incessantly about immigration either didn't want to do these jobs or weren't remotely qualified. 

Immigration is fine by me.

Just now, ErsatzThistle said:

Tell me big boy, what is so toxic about saying - "And those of us (who are also the descendants of immigrants) who point out the huge benefits we see every day thanks to immigrants - are in turn pilloried as rabid commies."

This year immigrants have -

• Fixed my buggered heating.
  • Sold me my train tickets.
  • Took great care of my Gran after she had a stroke.
  • Fixed my buggered roof.
  • Made and served me meals.
  • Saved my cat from going blind.
  • Cut my hair.
  • Help me take care of a skin condition.
  • Drove me back and forth across the World's Greatest City.

They were in those jobs because the thick cunts who sit at home watching daytime TV and moaning incessantly about immigration either didn't want to do these jobs or weren't remotely qualified. 

Immigration is fine by me.

Herpes?