General Election 2019 - Page 33 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

General Election 2019

11 minutes ago, aaid said:

Because that's what the definition of antisemitism says.

And who wrote the definition I wonder.  Anyway off topic and, after reading the last few pages and not having a clue what anyone is talking about, think I'll bow out. 

8 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

How's things looking up your way, Loon?

I know 4 people in Angus who are voting/voted SNP. 2 are Yes/SNP voters but for whatever reason didn't vote in 2017 ; one was a Labour voter and the last one recently moved from Monifieth to outside Arbroath.

If the SNP can GOTV and even poll 45% on the day (some tactical voting from Labour, Libs, Greens) and apathy with Tories drops them down to 25% or so ; I think most of those former SNP heartland seats would go back.

The Labour vote now SNP - didn't have much interest in politics, and I think he's a soft Yes for indy - but he never really noticed how bad Labour poll in Angus that he's decided to vote SNP to keep the Tories out.

Not long now, and we'll see soon.

It really can go either way up here, what i will say is that if the tories do get in, it will be the last time for  time  they will Get in here as what they are promising can’t be delivered.its not helping that sturgeon is going full out “stop Brexit” her advisers need sacked

9 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Appreciate some folk don’t think this should be on the politics thread but Jo Swinson is all for self-id which is unsurprising as apparently the owners of Spire Health, along with Ferring Pharmaceuticals, have donated £280k and £100k respectively as disclosed on the electoral commission.  The former has 330 consultants offering feminine features reconstruction and the later supplies puberty blockers. 

Woolly estimates are only 0.6% of the population, c.200,000 – c.500,000 are trans so seems a heady investment to be pushing for better access to such a niche market via a niche party.  Within this estimate 50,000 are certified as having changed gender with the remaining self-id’ing.   The bit I struggle with is sexuality when considering there is a study of US self-identifying women where over 70% are attracted to women, with the majority purely attracted to women, whilst less than 20% liked purely the boaby.  Genuine question – is there any reason why the number of men who see themselves as female have a sexual preference way out of kilter with rest of the population given 6% of the population being homosexual?  Interestingly women who identify as men are predominantly attracted to women with less than the 6% attracted purely to men.

The self-id’ing thing is creating a can of worms in the prison system as there are c.120 men identifying as female in the female prison system with half of those in for sexual crimes.  However, the women inside can at least take some comfort in that only half of those might be interested in them because unfortunately the other half were committed against kids.     

The self-id’ing thing creates a massive can of worms in terms of kids too.  Have a look on Youtube for the Aimee Challenor case – the daughter, previously son, of a convicted paedophile who abused a 10 year old locked in their loft for weeks in a two up two down terrace house was a prominent activist in the Greens, and then Lib Dems, with seemingly little look into their background.  It seems from the video she was barely in a fit state mentally to look after herself but was only chucked out eventually when her boyfriend’s tweets of unspeakable acts he wanted to commit on kids were dug out.  However, the worst part of this story is that she was involved in a group setting up child protection guidelines that not only ended up allowing self-id’ing boys to join girl only trips, and not only allowed self-id’ing males as females to join these trips as guardians, but it also forbid organisers of notifying parents of any of this.   I mean some serious red fucking flags should be flying about the place here but only came to light when someone quit in order to blow the whistle. 

However, this is potentially a single case the failing of corporate governance rather than something to be wholly concerned about as particularly widespread.  It was also in England so I am not sure how this would work out here but on the noises coming out from women’s groups it doesn’t sound like they’re concerns have been taken on-board for what we’re looking to implement.  We’ll all see when the paper is published between the general election and the new year so sure the populace will be keeping their eyes peeled for this over Christmas! 

Interestingly, there is an interview with this lovely Leeze Lawrence person discussing trans issues in schools with Michael Russell I think whilst he was education secretary (just Google both names).  Now I have no issue at all with the principal, I found it easy to explain to a 4 year old why our neighbour had two mums as an example, but the concern stems when you start seeing what charities like Mermaid have been accused of along with Stonewall seeming to have quite a powerful voice.  From emails leaked earlier this year Mermaids were accused of cult like behaviour and seemingly actively trying to identify potential trans kids so they can get them eventually transitioning before suffering depression during their teens.  As such, kids are too young and immature to stain their body with a tattoo or damage it by smoking or drinking but could potentially be identified for puberty blocking if they ironically show reversed gender stereotype.  If this happens then that niche market just got a whole lot bigger. 

I have no issue with genuine cases whatsoever, or my daughter being taught about it, but how can there be controls in place to avoid self-id’ing taking the piss or worse?   Potentially we’re looking at legislation in place that if my wife and daughter find themselves in a public toilet face to face with someone with bollocks, beard and ballerina dress they’ll likely be in the wrong if they complain.  It does seem a bit batshit mental that we're risking the safe spaces set up to protect 50% of the population to avoid hurting the feelings of those self id'ing.   

Good post. 

I don’t really have any issues with self ID as long as the tiny minority of people who are clearly using it to exploit the system or others can quickly be called on it and stopped. 

I also think people who believe you can’t change gender should be allowed to hold this opinion without fear of prosecution or losing their job etc.  

And giving hormone blockers to children is child abuse. I don’t think it should be taught in schools. 

32 minutes ago, exile said:

since it seems so many parties are suffering from antisemitism and gender recognition, maybe they should all get together and work out how to deal with these independently of party lines. 

Indeed that way they can be dealt with properly rather than incorporated in the unending propaganda war between parties.

Theresa May last week unveiled a statue of Lady Astor who was a virulent anti-semite, amongst other things like first sitting female MP (i think someone had won a vote before but never took the seat)

13 minutes ago, phart said:

Indeed that way they can be dealt with properly rather than incorporated in the unending propaganda war between parties.

Theresa May last week unveiled a statue of Lady Astor who was a virulent anti-semite, amongst other things like first sitting female MP (i think someone had won a vote before but never took the seat)

+ That would be Constance ('Countess') Markievicz, who didn't take seat as per Irish republican tradition.  Not something the British establishment would be celebrating, hence general news blackout, and Lady Astor in the limelight instead. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constance_Markievicz

Curiously, I note, she was spared death sentence 'on the grounds of her sex'. 

Edited by exile

1 hour ago, iainmac1 said:

Screenshot_20191208-072336_Chrome.jpg

As always - whether they're good or bad- don't focus too much on individual polls but on trends amongst all polls.

if this is an accurate reflection then it goes against pretty much every poll in the last year or so, and it's a shift that's happened pretty recently and with no apparent explanation.  Shifts in public opinion like this tend to be driven by a particular event.

This poll also has voting intention for the SNP for Westminster and Holyrood constituencies at 44% and 46% and that's a bit of a contradiction.  You'd usually expect support for independence to be a few points higher than that as there will be people who support Indy who vote for parties other than the SNP and I'm not just talking about Greens here. 

3 hours ago, FuNsTeR said:

what you have to ask is who was the poll for , and what was the question asked if it was for Scotland and the union and the Question asked was Remain/leave then the poll is nonsense 

I can find a Scottish poll on YouGov from The Times newspaper for that date range but the question about independence doesn't seem to be in it.

Slow day on  the election front really.  Leader of a party who could potentially swing a few seats and hold the balance of power instead spends over five minutes of an interview failing to define what a woman is.  

In other news the leader of the party who is going to piss the election shows all the empathy of an absolute fucking sociopath when shown a picture of a 4 year old boy lying on a hospital floor.  The only bright side being from Boris's appearance I now  know what my scrotum would look like if it attended a fancy dress event as Worzel Gummidge.  

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/media/2019/12/boris-johnson-dismisses-photo-ill-child-pocketing-reporter-s-phone

2 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Slow day on  the election front really.  Leader of a party who could potentially swing a few seats and hold the balance of power instead spends over five minutes of an interview failing to define what a woman is.  

In other news the leader of the party who is going to piss the election shows all the empathy of an absolute fucking sociopath when shown a picture of a 4 year old boy lying on a hospital floor.  The only bright side being from Boris's appearance I now  know what my scrotum would look like if it attended a fancy dress event as Worzel Gummidge.  

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/media/2019/12/boris-johnson-dismisses-photo-ill-child-pocketing-reporter-s-phone

It's absolutely becoming an issue now that folk realise they can talk about it without getting shamed in some way.

14 minutes ago, phart said:

Ended up on Twitter this is a belter of post from the top BBC Journo, check the BBC Balance at work, fucking dreadful reporting.

False equivalence and a half that one!!  

He probably could have watched it any time for a week before anyway as its pre-recorded and would imagine certain politicians get to see it in advance.   

On 12/6/2019 at 1:21 PM, weekevie04 said:

How's things looking up your way, Loon?

I know 4 people in Angus who are voting/voted SNP. 2 are Yes/SNP voters but for whatever reason didn't vote in 2017 ; one was a Labour voter and the last one recently moved from Monifieth to outside Arbroath.

If the SNP can GOTV and even poll 45% on the day (some tactical voting from Labour, Libs, Greens) and apathy with Tories drops them down to 25% or so ; I think most of those former SNP heartland seats would go back.

The Labour vote now SNP - didn't have much interest in politics, and I think he's a soft Yes for indy - but he never really noticed how bad Labour poll in Angus that he's decided to vote SNP to keep the Tories out.

Not long now, and we'll see soon.

Was speaking the the head of canvassing today, he is saying that polling has the snp and torys 70 votes apart, how that reflects in the grand scheme i don't know but its very Very close 

I still stand by what i said a couple of weeks ago

Every bigot in Scotland is voting Tory - more than at any other election or referendum

The Ulsterisation of politics has succeeded