General Election 2019 - Page 24 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

General Election 2019

1 hour ago, exile said:

I think the key to Johnson getting back in is that he promises to Get Brexit Done. And people hear that and they'd vote anyone to get it. In a sense you can't blame them, those 17.4 million who voted for Brexit and still waiting. It's unfinished business. If they put up an imbecile, criminal or talking horse, it could still be the right thing to do, to right what is perceived as a wrong. That's why all the attacks on his character and past record are futile. 

The tragedy of it (or the brilliance) is that BJ gets to bring in 5 new years of Tory rule on the back of that one piece of unfinished business.

But more than that, the tragedy for his own voters is that he can't deliver a Brexit that will satisfy all his followers.  He offers only a self-proclaimed 'polished turd' or 'surrender deal' that will keep part of UK under EU rule, that will loosen the bonds of the Precious Union. He is a weak cowardly man who could cave in to Trump, Russia and EU, right left and centre, but get the media to spin it as statesmanship. If I was a hard line Eurosceptic I'd much rather have a Redwood or a Dodds - or even Theresa May 😲 - fighting my corner. At least May had red lines. Johnson just has vague scribbles. 

I agree with the first point and it's similar to Trump in a way that a lot of people know fine well he's dishonest charlatan and not to be trusted but they just don't care because they think all other politicians are the same but at least he's promising to do what they want,ie to deliver Brexit.

On your second point, I get the impression now that for a lot of people leaving the EU under any circumstances is more important to whatever happens after that.  The reasons are pretty complicated, you have to assume that people voted to leave because they thought it would be better than staying in for whatever reasons and there's no doubt they still believe that and if anything some will have hardened their attitudes. Also there's an - understandable - view that having voted for it we should implement it.  Finally, there's a view that Brexit has made the country look like a laughing stock and if it isn't delivered then it will be even more of a national embarrassment. 

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

When you look at Dianne Abotts twitter you get a window into why working class people don’t vote labour. 

Look at Dianne Abbots timeline and you'll see the worst of humanity commenting. 

1 minute ago, aaid said:

I don't think racist and sexist abuse of a female politician is anything to laugh at. 

I’m laughing at you ignoring the article she decided was appropriate to share days after that attack. 

I don’t condone any racist stuff she gets on a daily basis. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Willie has always been SNP, he’s as patriotic as they come, he is head and shoulders the biggest donator to the local snp branch. he was reluctant to put his head above the parapet and go to the press, so credit to him as i wasn't sure if he was going to when i last talked to him.

Its a pitty as the snp used to have the backing of the majority of the skippers, some paid up members for over 30 years. Willie is as good a businessman man as you will come across and is usually ahead of the game so this will make folk stand up and take notice  

25 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Willie has always been SNP, he’s as patriotic as they come, he is head and shoulders the biggest donator to the local snp branch. he was reluctant to put his head above the parapet and go to the press, so credit to him as i wasn't sure if he was going to when i last talked to him.

Its a pitty as the snp used to have the backing of the majority of the skippers, some paid up members for over 30 years. Willie is as good a businessman man as you will come across and is usually ahead of the game so this will make folk stand up and take notice  

Thanks - this is the guy I was thinking of.  He's not a donor to the SNP - at least not to a level it requires to be registered - but he did donate £150k to Yes Scotland in 2014.  I guess I was wondering whether or not an other fisherman had jumped ship - so to speak.

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

Thanks - this is the guy I was thinking of.  He's not a donor to the SNP - at least not to a level it requires to be registered - but he did donate £150k to Yes Scotland in 2014.  I guess I was wondering whether or not an other fisherman had jumped ship - so to speak.

Aye he gave a huge donation to yes scotland, i don't think he donated to the snp at the last election which had us worried however he has donated this time the exact figure i don't know but he's the largest single donator this election to us.i was always hoping he would go into politics but fishermen being fishermen, he will have a few skeletons thats for sure  

1 minute ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Aye he gave a huge donation to yes scotland, i don't think he donated to the snp at the last election which had us worried however he has donated this time the exact figure i don't know but he's the largest single donator this election to us.i was always hoping he would go into politics but fishermen being fishermen, he will have a few skeletons thats for sure  

If its less than £7500 then it doesn't have to be reported to the Electoral Commission.  There's nothing on their website - however that only includes donations up to the end of August at the moment.

23 minutes ago, aaid said:

Probably BS - her contemplating resigning, not her seat being under threat - but that something like this is even being speculated on shows you how mad it is.   

https://twitter.com/maximiliangapes/status/1201779641280802816?s=20

Just read that a few minutes ago, that would be Christmas come early, well if she lost her seat as well.

20 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Just read that a few minutes ago, that would be Christmas come early, well if she lost her seat as well.

Swinson seems to have an anti-midas touch when it comes to publicity.  The more people see of her, the more unpopular she becomes.

31 minutes ago, aaid said:

Probably BS - her contemplating resigning, not her seat being under threat - but that something like this is even being speculated on shows you how mad it is.   

https://twitter.com/maximiliangapes/status/1201779641280802816?s=20

Is there any truth in the Labour/SNP tactical voting ?  That to me is as unlikely as Swinson resigning at this point given Scotland In Union is urging voters in all marginal seats to get behind the main opposition to the SNP. 
Would be good of true right enough.