General Election 2019 - Page 20 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

General Election 2019

18 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Personally i think the SNP are fucked

They will probably win over half of the seats but with a slap in the face too

I believe the all out propaganda war is unbeatable

GERS

Sectarianism

Daily anti SNP media spin 

Only Labour can oust the Tories myth

Threat of hard border & everything else reincarnated from 2014

Docile and servile electorate 

Many not wanting to have to make the choice between the EU and the UK

Many hoping that right wing English Nationalism will go away

Not confident we can run our own affairs

The majority of voters in Scotland are ignorant of all of the above and are not on social media to see them debunked and that's what Quislings rely on

I was observing some online discussion recently and noticed the hatred of the SNP - you know, "destroying the country" and all this - normally I ignore such people but on this occasion had a peek at the people's accounts and it seems they were lapping up and regurgitating hate and smears from the right wing press. Like, anything you could ever throw at a politician - from being sinister dictators to buying too many shoes - quite out of proportion from normality. And then, spun into a "SNP bad holding back, tarnishing, trashing Scotland" in such a way to turn even those who may be mildly patriotic and pro-Scottish against the SNP for actually bringing down the country.  Hence the kind of negative "to stop the SNP" reason for voting Tory, that was on TV last night.

Hence the importance of face to face conversions - the idea it's normal to want your country to be a normal, independent country. 

Some of the propaganda by those papers has to be seen to be believed. The Daily Mail recently had a feature on Jamaica regretting becoming independent. While based on a survey in a newspaper, it's a million miles from being an argument against independence, Scottish or otherwise. But people are fired up by it, and spread it with zeal round the internet as evidence of the perils of independence. 

42 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

It is alleged Mr Hanvey shared a post on Facebook in 2016 which included an image of billionaire George Soros as a puppet master controlling world leaders.

If that's true then it's no surprises he's been binned. 

54 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

And it looks like he may be dodging Andrew Neil .

https://apple.news/A74WfO54ATHeJsRCttCTGjg

He could dance around naked killing kittens on live tv and he would still get voted in. It's amazing how much he gets away.with

Edited by vanderark14

I am in a watts app group with three ex work colleagues, one was a no voting tory, one iyes voter who voted tory last election and the other is a no voting tory. 2 of the three will be voting snp and yes this time and the other hasn’t shown his cards. These are the type of voters who will make the difference, not massively associated with one particular voting persuasion.

6 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I am in a watts app group with three ex work colleagues, one was a no voting tory, one iyes voter who voted tory last election and the other is a no voting tory. 2 of the three will be voting snp and yes this time and the other hasn’t shown his cards. These are the type of voters who will make the difference, not massively associated with one particular voting persuasion.

Loony, you're our SNP prophet. So it's looking good. I remember well the jip you got 'being negative' etc about the NE and you were right.

I'm Dundee East but know a few Angus voters. 4 of them all SNP/Yes previously but for some reason didn't vote in 17 and look what happened , all of them voting or postal voted for the SNP. 

It'll be ticht but like yourself, feeling optimistic but not getting carried away. There's still too many Tories, TBH but going from general mood there's certainly less hospitality towards Sturgeon or the party (or even independence).

Another poll is 50/50 today on that. Whilst some might say only! I'd feel very comfortable going into a campaign with 49/50 support in the polls. 

I think our bigger problem rather than 50/50 for indy, willbe there's not a hope hell they will allow us a referendum. 

7 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Loony, you're our SNP prophet. So it's looking good. I remember well the jip you got 'being negative' etc about the NE and you were right.

I'm Dundee East but know a few Angus voters. 4 of them all SNP/Yes previously but for some reason didn't vote in 17 and look what happened , all of them voting or postal voted for the SNP. 

It'll be ticht but like yourself, feeling optimistic but not getting carried away. There's still too many Tories, TBH but going from general mood there's certainly less hospitality towards Sturgeon or the party (or even independence).

Another poll is 50/50 today on that. Whilst some might say only! I'd feel very comfortable going into a campaign with 49/50 support in the polls. 

I think our bigger problem rather than 50/50 for indy, willbe there's not a hope hell they will allow us a referendum. 

I could be wrong just expressing how i am gauging things as i did in 2017, i honestly hope i am right as my father in law is voting tory this election, he’s a strange lad and has been trying to wind me up about it so couldn't handle his smug mug if the snp don't do well he's for independence as well 🤷‍♂️ The hostility towards the snp is nothing like it was in 2017, the thing that could mess it up is voter apathy as young will be more probe to that than the elderly. 

A couple of pals of mine who have been out in the last few days chapping doors and handing out leaflets etc for the SNP here in East Renfrewshire reckon the SNP will run the Tories close. Now they did stress to me that they aren't guaranteeing a victory but that the constituency is not as safe as some Tories think it is. 

My turn to be pessimistic. I must admit the 'the country's f---ed' feeling is gaining a bit of a momentum. It just seems that the Tories and especially their leader can lie and lie and never be called to account all the while being given the platform to do so by a compliant media, and nothing can dent him. Corbyn is hounded for anti-Semitism, others get the heave-ho for one misplaced step, while you have an actual serial peddler of racism who gets off scot-free and will be cheered into Downing St. Meanwhile,  he's too chicken to face either the electorate or proper scrutiny from the press. More sinister, after Johnson refuses to go on the climate debate, the Tories threaten to go to Ofcom because they didn't get their own way, while Gove taunts the participants for being scared, when his own leader ran away. Meanwhile we seem to be lurching towards dependency to America or is it Russia? This is not going to end well, feels like the UK is going to hell in a handcart and there is nothing anyone can do about it. I don't think I've ever felt more wanting to get out of the UK for 'negative' reasons. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

So was the picture posted by Harvey genuinely anti semitic? Or did he just criticise an Israeli or israel?

Yes it was anti-Semitic.  To pictured Soros acting as a puppet master which is an anti-Semitic trope going back to 19th century.

He apparently made a comment comparing the actions of the Israeli state in Palestine to those of the Nazis in WW2, which is so textbook that it's actually in the IHRA definition. 

14 minutes ago, aaid said:

Yes it was anti-Semitic.  To pictured Soros acting as a puppet master which is an anti-Semitic trope going back to 19th century.

Soros and his money and NGO’s do have great influence though, political influence. Granted someone who wants to be a mainstream politician probably shouldn’t be engaging in something that would be considered a conspiracy. 

37 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Soros and his money and NGO’s do have great influence though, political influence. Granted someone who wants to be a mainstream politician probably shouldn’t be engaging in something that would be considered a conspiracy. 

I'm not sure that the Soros cartoon without any context could be seen as Anti Semitic 

Think it's more to do with who the author is and that was his intent  

Image result for soros cartoon

13 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I'm not sure that the Soros cartoon without any context could be seen as Anti Semitic 

Think it's more to do with who the author is and that was his intent  

Image result for soros cartoon

That’s more funny than anything else but surprised he got past the selection process, they probably missed it. 

Anyway, guys like Soros are enemies to most of us 

https://www.thenational.scot/comment/columnists/16265154.indy-scotland-soros-what-can-we-learn-from-the-meddling-mogul/

Regarding that IHRA definition thing, if I understand it correctly, criticising Israel (the nation) for its treatment of Palestinians is classed as anti-semitic.  That to me seems a ridiculous assertion.  Many people within Israel itself are opposed to the persecution of Palestinians - are they then by definition anti-semitic?  It's not a matter of anti-semitism at all; it's a matter of common decency.   And that's before we get to the fact that Palestinians & Arabs (or some of them at least) are themselves semitic peoples.