General Election 2019 - Page 15 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

General Election 2019

I'd go with something similar to Stocky for predictions right now. Might change, and I thought Sturgeon had a great debate ; but the big blow is no Brexit Party in the Tory seats.

I HOPE that Angus is won back, surely will be as Hair is utterly hopeless.

It'll be tough to cleansweep the NE though - Gordon ; Banfff/Buchan; etc. Again hopefully the SNP win Aberdeen South too.

SNP 41

Tories 10

Libs 7

Labour 1

Would be an absolute stocking win for a party 12 years in power ;but no doubt painted up as a 'disappointing night' but idiots in the media who don't have a clue. English pundits, some have the SNP as ''sweeping up in Scotland'' that will never happen again unless something huge like a Referendum happens.

2015 happened thanks to ''we're still here and not going away'' and 2017 was "Aye, you might be ; but we don't want a referendum,"

Edited by weekevie04

10 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Scary to think that Historywoman was a lecturer at Edinburgh University.

An absolute loon ball. Obsessed with independence.

She's an utter maniac.

Kenneth Roy (RIP) threw her off the excellent Scottish Review because of her 'assessment' of Mhairi Black.

4 hours ago, aaid said:

I honestly don't know why people engage with people like that, it's not as if you're going to change their minds, a waste of time and bandwidth.  Best ignored.

That doesn't mean you should live in your own Yes bubble though, there are plenty of anti-Indy commentators that are worth paying attention to even if you don't agree with their arguments it's worth understanding them.  Similarly there's a lot on the more rapid Yes fringe I don't pay attention to either.

btw, this isn't directed at you but a general comment.  I didn't want to waste any more bandwidth on that loon by quoting the OP (Stephenson, not Ally)

Yes I completely agree there are extremes on both sides,  neither of which help their respective cases. 

At that Mhairi Black / Nicola Sturgeon night I attended recently at Johnstone Town Hall  , NS took a question from the audience,  the guy was saying Indyref was rigged ( or words to that effect ) . NS immediately challenged it, said she was 100% certain there was nothing underhand and that we need to stop looking for excuses as to why we did not win it. We should be using our energy to look for the reasons why we failed to persuade enough people to vote YES. 

I didnt see the QT debate but am pleased she did well . Might have given food for thought to those on the fence. Pity it was a Friday night, I am sure loads of folk had better things to do than watch a political debate. 

3 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

I'd go with something similar to Stocky for predictions right now. Might change, and I thought Sturgeon had a great debate ; but the big blow is no Brexit Party in the Tory seats.

I HOPE that Angus is won back, surely will be as Hair is utterly hopeless.

It'll be tough to cleansweep the NE though - Gordon ; Banfff/Buchan; etc. Again hopefully the SNP win Aberdeen South too.

SNP 41

Tories 10

Libs 7

Labour 1

Would be an absolute stocking win for a party 12 years in power ;but no doubt painted up as a 'disappointing night' but idiots in the media who don't have a clue. English pundits, some have the SNP as ''sweeping up in Scotland'' that will never happen again unless something huge like a Referendum happens.

2015 happened thanks to ''we're still here and not going away'' and 2017 was "Aye, you might be ; but we don't want a referendum,"

As long as we increase seat share then it is one in the eye for unionists who are peeing their pants believing 2017 was some sort of a trend that will continue in December.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

As long as we increase seat share then it is one in the eye for unionists who are peeing their pants believing 2017 was some sort of a trend that will continue in December.

Its such a hard election to call, there is a real possibility of the snp gaining a good few more seats, jist now i am thinking 48 seats, the tories will lose angus, aberdeen south and gourdon, banff and buchan along with moray is on a knife edge and too close to call the border seats are tory certs along with aberdeenshire west so 4 definite tory holds, caithness is 50/50 with the libs also

12 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Its such a hard election to call, there is a real possibility of the snp gaining a good few more seats, jist now i am thinking 48 seats, the tories will lose angus, aberdeen south and gourdon, banff and buchan along with moray is on a knife edge and too close to call the border seats are tory certs along with aberdeenshire west so 4 definite tory holds, caithness is 50/50 with the libs also

The bookies have lib dems as big favourites to win Caithness, Sutherland said Easter Ross. Lib dems are 4/11 and SNP 15/8

1 hour ago, iainmac1 said:

The bookies have lib dems as big favourites to win Caithness, Sutherland said Easter Ross. Lib dems are 4/11 and SNP 15/8

Mayne worth a sly punt, in the last election many brexiteers lent their votes to the lib dems in protest of the snp’s harsh stance towards brexit, that will not be the case this time, the main towns of wick and thurso are full of such voters due ti their connection to the fishing industry so could see the tories taking those type of voters.polling will struggle to pick up these voters

Edited by hampden_loon2878

7 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Yes I completely agree there are extremes on both sides,  neither of which help their respective cases. 

At that Mhairi Black / Nicola Sturgeon night I attended recently at Johnstone Town Hall  , NS took a question from the audience,  the guy was saying Indyref was rigged ( or words to that effect ) . NS immediately challenged it, said she was 100% certain there was nothing underhand and that we need to stop looking for excuses as to why we did not win it. We should be using our energy to look for the reasons why we failed to persuade enough people to vote YES

I didnt see the QT debate but am pleased she did well . Might have given food for thought to those on the fence. Pity it was a Friday night, I am sure loads of folk had better things to do than watch a political debate. 

These are wise words, even if we don't always live up to them. 

You only need to look at the angry frothing exaggerated views of extreme unionists (see above) to see how their lack of sense of proportion or connection to everyday reality would not convince anyone, but make the movement seem full of rabid lunatics. For example, you may dislike independence or Nicola Sturgeon, but when even neutrals and those outside Scotland are applauding her, then screaming about her is not going to make you look credible. And the same applies in the other direction. You're only appealing to those already convinced (but then, sometimes you need to be able to sound off within your own bubble). I think nothing beats face to face persuasion, that you show you are a normal person with reasonable views, and that it's reasonable to believe that it's normal for a country to be independent. 

Similarly, although the problem of media bias is a biggie, I admit it is in danger of being a distraction, and people putting more effort into tracking down evidence of bias and so on, than actually winning arguments or convincing voters, is in danger of being counterproductive. There is no honest benign authority somewhere out there who is going to call out or punish or reform the (North) British media - at least, not this side of the election, when the damage will have been done. I think the lesson was learned at Pacific Quay demos in 2014 - not only did the BBC ignore it, but they turned it around and spun it against the indy movement (scary nationalist thugs) (while of course ignoring the actual scary nationalist thugs on 19th Sept). Even Ruth Davidson said it: while Yessers were protesting, BetterTogetherers were chapping doors and spreading Gordon Brown's newly manured propaganda directly into people's homes. 

In their manifesto the SNP should announce that any constituency in Scotland that votes Tory will have Tory policies implemented in full with no mitigation by the Scottish Government

Give the voters what they want

4 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

In their manifesto the SNP should announce that any constituency in Scotland that votes Tory will have Tory policies implemented in full with no mitigation by the Scottish Government

Give the voters what they want

Do you not think that folk who vote Tory might actually want Tory policies? That would be a wee bit like forcing folk who wear Rangers scarfs to watch Rangers win the league.

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Do you not think that folk who vote Tory might actually want Tory policies? That would be a wee bit like forcing folk who wear Rangers scarfs to watch Rangers win the league.

Doubtful

Lets take these all away from them

image.thumb.png.9decda9bfc9bf55b2acfa9e8252771c0.png

9 hours ago, Rohan said:

Sturgeon got absolutely leathered from Andrew Neil

TNfLgzm1_x96.jpg

1/ Caught up with

late. I'm afraid rejoicing unionists need to put the Kool Aid down. Watch the rest of his interviews this week, then go back and watch her's, and you will see the winner. AN asked difficult and legitimate questions on key areas of ...

TNfLgzm1_x96.jpg

2/ ... weakness (which are primarily a Scotland/England customs border and public service performance) but NS gave as good as she got. We are looking here at clearly the pre-eminent Scottish politician of our (or at least my) lifetime. Deal with it. #GE19

UKGeneralElection_EMOJI_GIF_V2.png

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I would guess that most folk who vote Tory don't want to fund most of those policies. 

"Most folk" in Scotland who vote Tory are not the very well off

They were until Independence became a real possibility

These fuckers love voting for London rule by a Tory Government whilst under the protection of the SNP

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Going by Twitter and the working class  "staunch" vote for the Tories and judging by the state of them, they would be first to moan if they lost some of these benefits.

Is that not a more localised weegie thing though? Areas which are unlikely to elect a Tory MP anyway? The areas which have Tory MPs tend to be populated with the more run of the mill, self serving, I'm all right jack, type Tories. The type who can afford, and are quite happy to, pay for their own prescriptions and the like. And are quite happy to watch the poor, the disabled and the idle do the same.